Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sadly I expected it...

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Sadly I expected it...

That clearly shows something is wrong!
I'm on a 20CN exchange with an IP profile of 7150, Plusnet Extra with the Pro add-on. BBC test result using Chrome attached. I've run the test during the evening and the results are very little different.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Yes it does seem a bit odd with their Thomson Gateway reporting 832/5376  (up/down), but PN assure me there is no management on video stream on my Business Option 3.
Ah well c'est la guerre.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
thisoldman
Grafter

so what is going on alaric  is pn or youtube doing the throttling?

lets solve this once and for all

have you tried free d/l    http:// www.videoaccelerator.com
AlaricAdair
Champion

Hi thisoldman,
My take on this is there is a fault in the way PN are throttling video streaming from the BBC, I've not bothered to check in detail what happens on YouTube. It either applies to my configuration at the PN end or it applies generally for all Business Option 3 customers. PN customer support have assured me in the response to a support ticket that I have standard Business Option 3 service. It may be down to line faults, but I've not noticed any speed reduction or line quality issues with VOIP, File downloads or general browsing. It is just there with the video.
I wouldn't put so much effort into raising this in this forum if it wasn't for the fact I suspect it may apply to other Business Option 3 clients. I now treat PN as a standby service, I don't actually need video because my primary Demon link is just fine.
thisoldman
Grafter

thanks for reply alaric.  im more convinced than ever that pn is ding the throttling.  I am on extra  with the plus add on and still the bbc and youtube videos  stutter like a dying man at any time of the day.
I just hate being taken for a mug.  please try  http://www.youtube.com/my_speed ;           click on test link
I just wish plusnet would be honest.    $ tests now show that they are throttling.
thisoldman
Grafter

could some venerable guru from plus net respond to these allegations        please?
zubel
Community Veteran

thisoldman - any issues you have with your service are not related at all to AlaricAdairs.  You are on a completely different product, (in fact, the same product I am on) and your problems are localised and not related to the product you are on.  If you want to investigate your personal issues, please raise them in your own thread and it will get the attention that you deserve.
Alaric seems to have identified an issue with the Business Option 3 product, which does seem to bear investigation.  Perhaps a dial-test would be in order?
B.
thisoldman
Grafter

txs for your reply barry but i wanted to hear from adam or james or colin etc etc
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

AlaricAdair,
I've just spoken at length with our network engineers and specifically the guys here that look after our traffic management process.
To clarify you are on the correct service offering for business option 3, literally the only thing that is managed for that in relation to video in any way is that youtube is managed to 2mb between 7 and 10pm and no rate limiting takes place at all on iPlayer, Skyplayer etc at any times.
This may be something our network equipment isn't identifying so here's what I'm going to suggest.
A, try installing wireshark whilst you're experiencing the issue you've reported: http://www.wireshark.org/
B, as Barry mentions a dial test would be a good idea here, however you would need to be offline for an agreed timeframe (at least an hour if possible) for us to do this for you. This will allow us to identify if the issue is account or line related in some way.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AlaricAdair
Champion

Adam,
I've sent you a private message.
Alaric
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks Alaric,
I've responded to your PM.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AlaricAdair
Champion

Given the potential broader issues of this situation, PlusNet have run some trials using my configuration profile on one of their own machines and a similar ADSL link. Their trials showed no throttling on video streaming for my Business Options 3 service.
We are trying some further testing  to see if there is a general problem or just something related to my phone line/Equipment configuration.
When there's more specific details I'll feedback.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks Alaric.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mssystems
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
We are trying some further testing  to see if there is a general problem or just something related to my phone line/Equipment configuration.
Most of the Draytek dual WAN routers have throughput monitoring features which might prove useful to you.  Have a look at the Dataflow page under the Diagnostics menu.  Once enabled, the router will report the WAN throughput for each of the LAN hosts in (near) real time.  Also have a look at the traffic graph if you have that feature.  The throughput graph is not very useful here, being a Minute average.  The session graph is more useful, making it  easy to spot periods of high session usage (1000+), which might slow the router down.
There are several rate limiting features within some of the Draytek routers.  Most of these are global, effecting all traffic types.  The QoS features can be set up as application specific, so you probably want to completely disable QoS during testing.
If you can get 3Mbps to 5Mbps sustained throughput from, for example, a HTTP download server, you should be able to get uninterrupted video from the BBC web site and the iPlayer application.  A general sustained throughput test isolates the problem at the IP layer, so you can  stop worrying about your phone line.
If you have good general throughput and poor throughput per protocol, (video  streams dropping out) it's likely to be an upstream problem;
1. Traffic shaping at PN
2. Congestion through PNs network
3. Congestion through peering network
4. Server congestion
VOIP reliability is not usually an indication of much of anything.  The streams are tiny.  You might need to (should) prioritise VOIP streams on your own router but they are unlikely to be the cause of problems upstream, unless the streaming protocol is being incorrectly discriminated by an ISP shaping policy.
iPlayer is a bit of a catch all term for a suit of technologies and protocols used by the BBC, so you need to be careful to speak very specifically (with Plus Net).  Video from the website uses a different protocol to the video sent to the iPlayer application and the iPlayer application has several protocol adaptions.  If you are being incorrectly shaped, you don't want to be complaining about one thing while the engineers test something entirely different.
The BBC web site streams are peaky.  They use more bandwidth less frequently, making stream reliability less time sensitive.  The iPlayer application streams are sustained.  They use less bandwidth more often, making the stream reliability less bandwidth sensitive.  So for the website you need more bandwidth and for the application you need less latency. 
It is also worth remembering that PN use punitive traffic shaping on the Business accounts in some circumstances (Grr).  Businesses shouldn't use the internet  during peak hours, in PN's little fantasy World Wink 
Punitive shaping should only effect the services that PN say it effects  but there is always the possibility that it is effecting other services.  The vaguely defined 'Gaming' and 'Other' policies worry me.  Traffic shaping and vagueness just do not mix.  Trying to design a shaping filter that only effects the traffic you want it to can be pretty difficult.  Filters not accurately discriminating is one of the more common issues I come across with shaping.  Unfortunately with traffic shaping we (customers) are entirely beholden to the whims and the expertise of our ISP.
HTH
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

mssystems,
Thanks for an informative post there, this is what the community is all about.
I'm in no doubt though that it's not traffic management related, for one I'm keeping an open mind as we work through and eliminate different factors.
@AlaricAdair, given what you've advised me via PM as well it sounds like you are getting to the bottom of this, I'll continue to follow this with interest....
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team