cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED - Happy switcher but static IP messed up my connection

limedex

SOLVED - Happy switcher but static IP messed up my connection

Greetings to the Plusnet community.
I just had my fibre optics broadband connected yesterday and I have to say kudos to Plusnet for a seamless switch from Sky. I really enjoyed being informed every step on the way, the whole process went like a breeze in the alloted timeframe so well done. Cool
One little thing though, as I host a small server at home, I have requested a static IP and accepted to be charged £5 for the setup.
As soon as I restarted my router to obtain my address, I lost all connectivity and was only able to connect to the Plusnet portal despite all lights set to green.
Upon contacting the Plusnet hotline, the advisor  told me the BT order was still open and for that reason could not run any test yet. He then advised me to check again the day after and contact him if the issue wasn't solved. Fair enough but my connection was down on the very 1st day so not too happy.
After a few hours of fiddling around and getting frustrated, I decided to deactivate the static IP from the Plusnet Portal. Guess what? My connection was again all well with full access to the web.
I can't explain to myself what was the issue with the Static IP but it was definitely the reason for my problems.
So I have paid £5 for its setup, it messed up my connection and as the Plusnet advisor told me, I'll have to pay again if I want it in the future, which seems a bit unfair to me.
If the Plusnet people could take this into consideration, this would bring even more satisfaction to an already positive start...
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Happy switcher but static IP messed up my connection

Odd that a static IP caused those issues. I'm happy to add a new one (no charge of course) and see if it works this time for you?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
limedex

Thanks a lot for this quick answer Chris!
Yes I would really appreciate that. Will I be able to deactivate it from the PN portal if something goes wrong again?
Maybe it was simply too early to request it on the 1st day.
Chris
Legend

You *should* be able to deactivate it there yes, if you can get here instead then do that and I'll remove it.
OK it's been added, if you log in to your router and disconnect/reconnect it should apply to your account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
limedex

Thanks for your help Chris, will look into that when Im home later and keep you updated.
Ok so I have the static IP with full connectivity now. However I barely achieve a speed of ~10-12 Mb/s which is even slower than my previous adsl connection.
The BT engineer himself told me I should connect at 65 Mb/s. After he left on Tuesday I ran a few tests and I could reach speeds around 40-50 Mb/s.
As I power cycled my equipments quite a few times since I got connected, could it be that the DLM kicked in and slowed down my line because of too many disconnections?
Chris
Legend

I can't see any issues that would be causing that. Can you try the speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then go through the diagnostic test after the first one please.
limedex

Thanks Chris, I'll do that tonight and keep you updated.
Good news, I've been running some tests last nigth and I could achieve speeds around ~50Mb/s. Happy!
Thanks a lot for your help Chris!