cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round in circles - Wish I chose a different ISP - Ticket ID: 31127803

leehamer

Round in circles - Wish I chose a different ISP - Ticket ID: 31127803

When I lived at home with my folks our internet was provided through Force9, this has always been the way since the days of dial up. So when I moved out on my own I thought as we had years (10+) of pretty much problem free service with Force9 I would get my internet through them as well. I found that it was now supplied by Plusnet so I went with them. I wish I hadnt bothered, I have not found it to be as problem free as my parents had when at home.  Sad
It started with the Thomson router dying after a month, this was no issues as it was replaced very quickly. Then almost a month to the day my second router died, I was told it was very unusual for them to die let alone 2 of them. Apparently something I must have been doing, a dodgy power socket or something. Mmmm not very likely as I have never had any issues with anything else plugged into my sockets, A quick check with a DMM proved the power supply for the routers were not supplying any voltage. I was told a replacement was in the post but this never arrived, thankfully I was able to get my hands on a spare router so I have been using this instead of the Thomson one that was supplied.
I then have other odd problems, my broadband usage suddenly sky rocketed... to the tone of a few GB a day and up to 10/15GB over a weekend, in the space of 2 weeks I had around 50/60GB of usage over my 10GB allowance (I wouldnt even use my 10GB allowance in a month). The usage was going up even when my router was powered off and unplugged, I had my password changed 4/5 times, told not to use my internet for days, I was keeping logs of the usage and it was going up even whilst I could not even connect myself!!!  Huh
I spent hours on the phone trying to sort it but just being asked the same questions and still no real result coming from it, I had some of the usage removed and I apparently wont be paying the monthly free for my subscription but I will be billed for the extra usage that wasnt even me ( I live alone, dont use wireless, no one else has access to my PC, I have no viruses, there is no possible way it has been me)... this actually now works out more than my monthly subscription.
I thought maybe raising a ticket and doing it online might get more results but still I have had no luck getting anywhere, been a getting on for a month now since this issue started.
I have become very fed up with using Plusnet now, I pay a subscription for a service and to be honest it is poor! I wish I had chosen a different ISP now, I would never even think of recomending Plusnet to anyone... I am going to be looking at cancelling my subscription, I am hardly into it but I am not prepared to waste my time much more than I already have.. Too much going around in circles  Angry
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Round in circles - Wish I chose a different ISP - Ticket ID: 31127803

When your router is switched off and unplugged they should be checking to see if they can see a current connection - have they done that?
Have they compared the usage against the connection logs?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
leehamer

When I have been powering down my router they have said they will then disconnect all connections (always showing 2 connections until I discontect then it shows one), however when I speak to them a couple of days later it always appear that there has been a connection that has been active for a few days and downloading GB's of data (usually the connection has been active whilst they have apparently disconnected them all).
I will give the CSA's credit for being friendly though.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I'm really sorry you've had problems so far.
If you could do the disconnection test one last time I'd be happy to investigate this for you, and will refund the current additional usage charges.