cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous download speeds

rigbypa

Ridiculous download speeds

My broadband connection gives me about 6 Mbps.  So why oh why is it taking over 2 hours to download Photoshop Elements - file size of just over 1 Gig?
I think I know the technical answer to that - Plusnet is limiting my download speed because Adobe distributes it via Akamai.
What I don't understand is why Plusnet thinks it's a good idea to limit my speed for this type of traffic all the time - even if the network isn't busy.
I've read the traffic prioritisation page, and the one on expected download speeds.  I knew about the first when I signed up, but not about the second, which may have been added at a later date - certainly the page is dated from after I signed up.
Allowing my connection to use all the speed available to it will just make me a happier customer.  It won't mean I download more in total - or at least if I do, then Plusnet can charge me more, as I'll have to upgrade my package.  As things stand, I'll probably make an effort to download less stuff, because it takes so ridiculously long.  How does that benefit either of us?
Plusnet, does your traffic management policy need a rethink?
13 REPLIES 13
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Ridiculous download speeds

i sympathise with you,but what package are you on?why dont you do your downloads through the night after midnight?im on the premium package and thats what i do as after midnight till 8am its full line speed and free downloading?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
rigbypa

Nice suggestion, but I try to stay in bed between midnight and 8 am if at all possible...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well what package are you on?  and welcome to the forums
you might also get a better speed between  8:00 and 12:00 or 16:00
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: rigbypa
Nice suggestion, but I try to stay in bed between midnight and 8 am if at all possible...

You could use a scheduler do kick them off for you?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Pugs
Grafter

I have tried to change my habits so that I download in the nights. I installed Windows 7 on my 2 machines and believe me it was so frustrating with Windows updates, downloading Windows Live mail and other programs taking for ever to download. Wish Plusnet would come up with a product that excluded games and streaming and upped the download speeds. It is also a handicap to me, working from home and wating for over an hour for a file download that should take no more than 10 minutes.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There is a Plusnet product with line speed downloads at all times: link
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

with a 20Gb download limit..........  Undecided
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

... at peak times and free overnight usage.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It would be better described as an allowance rather than a limit. There's no reason why you can't download far more than that at peak times if you pay the extra.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

An update on this issue from the original poster would be nice?? Sad
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
rigbypa

No change here.  Next time I want to get something from a download server or do a spot of FTP I shall face the same issues
Still don't understand why downgrading the experience of the user to this extent is a good idea.  I'm not a bandwidth hog, my bandwidth consumption is well under the 8 MB (or is it 10 MB) that I'm allowed on the value package.  I can't see how a traffic management policy that caps download speeds helps with network congestion.
A proper response from Plusnet would be nice...
rigbypa

I also wonder how many problems being posted on the forums about slow download speeds are due to these imposed "expected speeds".
Surely that's a waste of your time and efforts Plusnet?  It ain't free to run customer support.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi there,
Quote from: rigbypa
My broadband connection gives me about 6 Mbps.  So why oh why is it taking over 2 hours to download Photoshop Elements - file size of just over 1 Gig?
I think I know the technical answer to that - Plusnet is limiting my download speed because Adobe distributes it via Akamai.

That seems like the most likely cause. You could find out for sure by running a Wireshark capture.
What I don't understand is why Plusnet thinks it's a good idea to limit my speed for this type of traffic all the time - even if the network isn't busy.

The network *would* be busy if we didn't Wink
The rate limits ensure that everybody gets their share. When they're not implemented you find that a small proportion of customers saturate all of the bandwidth which causes problems for others. The blunt answer as to why we limit the speed is because that's how the product has been designed at the price point we're providing it at. As others have mentioned, there are packages available that don't have these restrictions.
Also, download sites/servers aren't rate limited on Value between Midnight and Noon.
I've read the traffic prioritisation page, and the one on expected download speeds.  I knew about the first when I signed up, but not about the second, which may have been added at a later date - certainly the page is dated from after I signed up.

Both pages were present from the day we started selling our Value product.
Allowing my connection to use all the speed available to it will just make me a happier customer.  It won't mean I download more in total - or at least if I do, then Plusnet can charge me more, as I'll have to upgrade my package.  As things stand, I'll probably make an effort to download less stuff, because it takes so ridiculously long.  How does that benefit either of us?

It does benefit us from a network management perspective else we wouldn't do it. We can provide everything at line speed but to take advantage of that you have to pay for it I'm afraid.
Plusnet, does your traffic management policy need a rethink?

It's sounds to me like you might not be on the best package to suit your particular requirements?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵