cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Skills of CSC Analysts

James
Grafter

Re: Reading Skills of CSC Analysts

I don't see any issue with testing 9dB but would advise against 6dB, interleaved or not given your previous difficulties.
fredor
Grafter

OK we'll see what 9dB delivers.
fredor
Grafter

STAGE 3
"We're sending this message because you've reported a fault with your
broadband.
To help find out what's causing the problem, the Broadband Fault Checker
will ask you a series of questions at:
http://faults.plus.net/
If you have to leave the checker, you can come back later and pick up
from where you left off. Make sure you answer all of the questions
within the next two days or you'll have to start again.
If you need any help or you'd prefer to talk to us in person, give us a
call on 0845 1400200"

I don't believe I have a fault other than being 3.5km from the DSLAM.
I have a problem trying to get across I would like the min SNR reduced to 9dB.
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: fredor
I don't believe I have a fault other than being 3.5km from the DSLAM.
I have a problem trying to get across I would like the min SNR reduced to 9dB.

I think we should all be very clear that reduction of SNR (especially on ADSL2+) is not something that can be done 'on demand' from Wholesale, I'm sorry if you have been given the impression it can.  By your own admission you don't have a fault but clearly I'd like us to come to a reasonable understanding and I'd like your issue to be properly understood and investigated.  You have chosen to take part in the ADSL2+ trial and I suggest this conversation would now be better conducted in that arena rather than your becoming frustrated at our support staff who are following our standard processes.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,62.0.html
fredor
Grafter

I have added the SNR query to the 21CN forum.
Bach to the rant.
STAGE 4
"Passing to correct department for diagnosis."
Why is this necessary :-
"Has your Question been answered?
If you're happy that your Question has been dealt with fully, please 'CLOSE THIS Question' using the button below.
If you need to give us more details, or you need us to provide further information, 'REPLY TO THE SUPPORT TEAM' and let us know.
Please note: You have 14 days to select an option. If you don't choose one within this time, your Question will automatically close."

Clearly the question has not been answered.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not all of our agents have access to the necessary systems to raise faults, and as this isn't a standard fault the ticket had been passed back to yourself. The message is from one of our agents who has picked up the ticket and passed it from yourself to the faults team, who will arrange for the change to be made.
The option to close the question and decide if the issue has been addressed is there on any fault ticket (even if the ticket is not currently with yourself awaiting reply) because in many cases a fault can be resolved without warning. I'm sorry though, I can see why this might look as though a response has happened without thought.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I understand your response Matt, but there is still the flaw that once passed back to the User in this way, the problem will automatically be CLOSED by the system in 14 days.  This is despite the problem being OPEN with the faults team and with little the User can respond to?  Of course one can reply with gobbledegook just to keep the ticket live, but what a wasted effort Sad
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fredor
Grafter

Finally after nearly a week I have received an explanation.
"Unfortunately changing your SNR isnt a manual process thats as simple as us pressing a button, BT can change it but only do so generally as part of a fault investigation if something is wrong or stuck. Actual changes in SNR are done by the exchange with a piece of equipment called the DLM. The DLM will update your SNR based purely on the noise and errors showing on your line at the time your modem syncs up to the exchage.
As such the best way to attain a better sync rate and lower SNR is to restart the router, if however the rate does not change this does not usually indicate a problem with the DLM but with the line conditions themselves. If it does not reset to a lower level there may well be a good reason for this meaning any forced change would just instantly revert back anyway.
Also, please note on 21CN the SNR can be recalculated automatically in 3 days and lowered if the DLM sees good connectivity unlike the 14 days on 20CN."

Basically PlusNet can't do anything and we are at the mercy of the DLM which clearly isn't set for optimum performance at least in my case.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The first paragraph is a much oversimplified (and inaccurate) explanation.
The second para graph is wrong for ADSL1. If you resync when the SNRM is lower than the current Target, then your sync speed will be less and this will slow down any process of the DLM adjusting the Target.
The best way is to wait until your current SNRM is stable and above the current target by at least 0.5dB (perferably nearer 1dB) then resync.
Be warned - your line must be stable or you will just aggravate the process that DLM is performing. (The other way is use a tool like DMT).
Unfortunately, you need to watch the situation if you lose sync for reasons other than your normal line conditions, eg. power interrupts, power up/down, reboot, unusual burst of RFI (lightning for example), you may end up resyncing at a lower level again.
I'm not sure whether the same techniques are working on the adsl2+ trial. ASBO will be in a better position to comment.
In the third para. the SNRM may well be supposed to be recalculated every 3 days on the ADSL2+ trial, whether it is doing so again ASBO may be better placed to comment. On ADSL1 it can take a lot longer than 14 days, even with a rock solid, low error continuous connection.
Fredor, your conclusion would be right if what you'd been told were the facts. ADSL1 users certainly, are not just at the mercy of the DLM. There are occasions when it would not be appropriate for PN to ask BTw to change the Target SNRM, there are occasions when they just choose not to do so. It's also worth adding that BTw are not doing this automatically when they ought to to be either - specifically after faults have been fixed!
scootie
Grafter

well this a quick snip of whats been happening to my noise margin targets http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76302.msg615807.html#msg615807
and this a thread ive been posting in since going on the trial
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75667.0.html
on the whole the dlm is alot more responsive esp to say as i have not been to kind to my line regrad not forcing resyncs ect over the past 3 or so weeks due to problems that needed me to reboot shed loads of times
i think if had been a bit more kind and not forced so many resync's (trying diffrent firmwares out to solve upnp and dos detction problems) in beetween the change from a 18 to 15db target the dlm would of tried a 12 or even gone back 9db
its a very strange responsive new DLM and we are all still trying to work out how it reacts and performs.
best advice is to stick with it and let its do its new responsive thing.
i asume this is why BTw dont want to be manuly seting targets as they seem to have designed the dlm to do it for them
fredor
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
To be fair the quotation above refered to ADSL2+. Perhaps I should have made this clearer.
Since, according to PlusNet the DLM is controlling the SNR, I am trying another approach. I have asked jameseh to add interleaving.
Hopefully, this will reduce the errored seconds and then lower the SNR and increase the sync speed.
Under ADSL, I was able to achieve ca. 80% of the maximum potential.
Under ADSL2+, I can achieve something like 25/30% of the maximum which is a disappointment.
Upload speeds, however, seem to be unaffected by the distance from the sub-station.
fredor
Grafter

Hi ASBO DOG,
You have my sympathies being so far from the sub-station. You seem to be doing extremely well with what you have been dealt.
ADSL2+ has exaggerated the PostCode lottery and the charges should reflect this. However, thats another subject.
scootie
Grafter

ive been runing fastpath on adsl2 since day one and even when syncing at 4554 the 100+ errored seconds aday didnt effect the dlm or my gaming.
i think it was only my medling that shocked the dlm