cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fibre Broadband Speed Below Estimate

holmes1969
Dabbler

Not sure if this is the correct page to air my grievances but I have been telling plusnet that I am not getting the broadband speed promised. I have finally been informed that it is not possible to supply the speeds promised. This is breach of contract I have been informed that I can either put up with it or move to another suplier without having to pay a penalty. Despite paying for a service that I have not been receiving I have been offered no compensation despite paying extra for fibre which was no better.

28 REPLIES 28
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Post moved to its own thread for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

holmes1969
Dabbler

I am seriously considering taking action for breach of contract. I was promised speeds between 5 and 10 mbps and receive around 3.5 despite upgrading to Fibre optic ha ha at extra expence the only compensation I am offered is this reply.

HAS ANYONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME I BELIEVE THAT I SHOULD BE COMPENSATED IN SOME WAY.RATHER THAN LIKE IT OR LUMP IT ATTITUDE.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Following the engineer visit, the engineer has advised that the speed being received is the fastest possible while remaining stable and is correct for the length of the line from the DSLAM. The engineer has advised that the maximum achievable is around 3.5Mbps and currently the line speed is 4.5Mbps, so it is performing better than expected. When you joined us the speed estimate provided was 5Mbps to 10Mbps, so the line is not achieving this. Our suppliers have also advised that as the process is exhausted they will be unable to progress any subsequent similar fault reports. Our regulating body specified that there is a limit to how much under a line speed can be based on the estimate to ensure that the product has been sold correctly, the minimum guaranteed access line speed of your line is 3.8Mbps. Due to this you have 3 options. 1. Keep the service as is knowing that this is how it performs. 2. Transfer to ADSL broadband which has a speed estimate of up to 3Mbps. 3. Close the account without penalty. if you wish to take option 2 or 3 please contact our Customer Options Team who can arrange for the closure of your account.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi there,

Sorry for the problems that you've had, this has been a very unfortunate story where we have been misadvised by the DSL checker. It does occasionally get it wrong. Typically, this happens when it doesn't recognise the type of line used to provide the connection, e.g. aluminium being in place somewhere along the line.

However, in your circumstance I believe that it's subject to a bad estimate to the length of your line.

I have to disagree in saying that we're employing a like it or lump it attitude. Letting you leave free of contract after provisioning your line (at a cost to our suppliers) is the worst possible outcome for us, and the penalty we'd pay for offering speeds that cannot be reached. I do understand that it is all a bit matter of fact though.

Ideally, I'd like to get you provisioned on ADSL with the acquisition offer that we currently have on the table, which is free broadband for a year. Feel free to let me know if you're happy to proceed with that, and I'll keep an eye on it personally.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
holmes1969
Dabbler

Hi Matty,

Thanks for the reply the offer that you made regarding compensating me for speeds not as promised. Does this mean that I would save £14-99 per month for twelve months. Also is there any indication of when the broadband speed will be of an acceptable quality ie fibre optic to my property like in the next twelve months. Also do you think that maybe somewhere along the connection to my property from the cabinet there is maybe some old thinner alluminum cable which is a disaster when it comes to transmitting data.

Regards

Robert Holmes

holmes1969
Dabbler

Please will somebody reply to my latest question regarding the offer made to me on this forum. Perhaps I should paste it on social media.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @holmes1969

Apologies that my colleague hadn't been in touch. If you would like to accept his offer of free broadband for 12 months (paying just your phone service) I'll be happy to give you a call to arrange that.

As for providing a faster fibre service this isn't something we'll be able to check or chase our suppliers I'm afraid.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@holmes1969,

A point to note here - if your line length / construction is as it is, then you are not likely to see faster speeds with any other provider.  Looking at Sam Knows website will tell you what services are available on your exchange.  As advised, the 'wrong' estimate arises from the data supplied by BT to all WBC resellers being in error.  The failure to fulfil the set expectations would have been similar with other resellers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

holmes1969
Dabbler

Below is a copy of a message received from Plusnet forum. Unfortunately despite requesting the offer to be implemented nothing has happened.

If Matty is keeping an eye on this personally can you answer please regarding the offer.

Thank you.

Hi there,

Sorry for the problems that you've had, this has been a very unfortunate story where we have been misadvised by the DSL checker. It does occasionally get it wrong. Typically, this happens when it doesn't recognise the type of line used to provide the connection, e.g. aluminium being in place somewhere along the line.

However, in your circumstance I believe that it's subject to a bad estimate to the length of your line.

I have to disagree in saying that we're employing a like it or lump it attitude. Letting you leave free of contract after provisioning your line (at a cost to our suppliers) is the worst possible outcome for us, and the penalty we'd pay for offering speeds that cannot be reached. I do understand that it is all a bit matter of fact though.

Ideally, I'd like to get you provisioned on ADSL with the acquisition offer that we currently have on the table, which is free broadband for a year. Feel free to let me know if you're happy to proceed with that, and I'll keep an eye on it personally.

Matty

holmes1969
Dabbler

I must point out that this dates back to 10-10-2016

HAPPY 2017

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Apologies if Matty hasn't been in touch. As per my previous reply, if you would like to accept this offer I would be happy to give you a call to arrange it.

-Edit- 

I'll be happy to give you a call tomorrow @holmes1969 to arrange this if you're available?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
holmes1969
Dabbler

Hi Anoush

Thanks for the reply, could you also confirm this offer means I would have to pay my monthly bill less  £14.99 for twelve months, I have asked this before but have not received an answer.

Regards Robert.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

It would mean you'll be getting free broadband for 12 months.

You'll still need to pay your line rental and any call plans you might have.
holmes1969
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Regarding the offer of free broadband for twelve months.

Could you tell me what broadband equates to per month and also line rental.

Regards Robert Holmes.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Broadband: Free for 12 months

Line rental: £17.99