Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with HTML on [s]Bandwidth[/s] portal pages

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Problem with HTML on [s]Bandwidth[/s] portal pages

See http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml
On looking at the page this afternoon, I see "VAT" rendered in the top left hand corner.
Inspection of the HTML code shows spurious text in the HTML source in the <head> section - see line 45
   <script src="/assets/menus.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/business_custom.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/thickbox/thickbox.js"></script>
   VAT
   <script type="text/javascript" src="/assets/sifr.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="/assets/sifr-config.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="/assets/addthis_widget.js"></script>

Browser is IE11 on Win7 64bit

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problem with HTML on Bandwidth page

I can't see it and VAT does not appear in my source view.
Windows 8.1 x64 Waterfox (x64)
--
Mook
avatastic
Grafter

I don't see it on the page or in the source.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.104 Safari/537.36
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I expect the problem depends on what kind of account you're logged in with - based on the presence of business_custom.js.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

ejs,
As every an interesting "take" on the problem... causing me to go back and do some checking!  Wink Cheesy
I can now report that the problem is more widespread that the broadband usage page and is present when NOT logged in.  This is the HTML from http://plus.net
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/latest.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/plugin.cookie.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/member_centre/member_centre.js?refresh=140410"></script>
VAT
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/custom.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/thickbox/thickbox.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/liveperson/mtagconfig.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/liveperson/liveperson.js"></script>

On further testing I can advise that this problem is NOT SEEN when LOGGED IN to the member centre.
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/plugin.cookie.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/custom.js?refresh=25092012"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/member_centre/member_centre.js?refresh=25092012"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/liveperson/mtagconfig.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/assets/jquery/liveperson/liveperson.js"></script>

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Problem with HTML on [s]Bandwidth[/s] portal pages

Stepping back before @Townman last post.
I don't see VAT rendered on the screen, but I do see it in the source in FF32 and FF33 both on a Widow's XP system.  As expected, I see quite a different set of source in IE8 but NO VAT.
It's not critical, but the answer as to Why? and How? could be intriguing.
Maurice

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If clearing the browser cache doesn't change anything, perhaps try with all browser add-ons disabled.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ejs,
Clearing the cache is not overly desirable (impacts other site use) and does not aid identifying the cause of the issue, though I agree it might eliminate the issue for me.
Quote from: MauriceC
It's not critical, but the answer as to Why? and How? could be intriguing.

Agreed, one wonders what functionality is being masked here?
I've run the log on page under IE diagnostics - there are a number of errors and an access forbidden error.
SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Network Error 0x80070005, Access is denied.
File: index_nlp.html

Running the BB gateway page under diagnostics, I saw access forbidden on sh21.html in addthis_widget.js

I then ran the page up using PRIVATE browsing and did not see the error.
I now suspect that there is something in cookies for PN portal which the server is not handing correctly.  If someone from PN can identify the cookie concerned, I can see about exporting to the development team for inspection.
Kevin

ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

I'm having trouble replicating this myself and I'm not seeing it rendered or in the source.
Unfortunately my VPN appears to be down (i.e. I've clearly forgotten the password) so I'm not able to check with one of our test business accounts.
I have a "volunteer" in mind to investigate if he is not too busy, I'll have a word with him tomorrow.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Scott,
Good to see you back around here.
"Volunteer" you make it sound more like "victim" - I guess this is going to be a code inspection job... "What is done different at this point server side for not logged in access?".  Good old fashioned code desk checking - everyone had better be looking busy!  Cheesy
There is the possibility that this is not in the source but has been pulled from the cookie - note (after following Andy's advice) i do not see it in private mode browsing, which I presume means you cannot see any stored cookies?
Kevin

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: ejs
I expect the problem depends on what kind of account you're logged in with - based on the presence of business_custom.js.

Logged into Kevin's account using IE 11 on a Windows 7 x64 machine and I was unable to replicate the problem, no reference to VAT in the source of this page whatsoever.
Same applies when I'm logged out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Bob,
Was it you who got "volunteered" by Scott?
I did ask if it could be cookie content related?  I still see the issue (just checked) - if someone can tell me the cookie details to look for I can get it and save it, then delete it and see of the "problem" goes away.
Armed with that information and the cookie your devt guys can desk check the code!
Cheers,
Kevin

behaviourneeds
Grafter

I see it also when logged in.
See the attached image.
Thanks
Chris
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What cookies do you both have that contain 'Plusnet' or 'plus.net' in the file name/content? I only checked briefly after trying to replicate the problem and there were these five. I don't use IE11 so locating the portal specific ones is likely to be much easier for me. I imagine it becomes a little trickier when considering other Plusnet sites under the same domain such as this one.
plusnet.tt.omtrdc.net/m2/plusnet
plus.net/
portal.plus.net/
webstats.plus.net/
www.plus.net/

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I see the same image as  @behaviourneeds
WIN XP Pro 32bit  FF 33.0
Maurice