Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postcode Pricing (Market 1)

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Postcode Pricing (Market 1)

I am reeling from a lively phonecall from my sister who has just realised (after moving house a year ago) that she is paying £17.49 a month for basic ADSL broadband from PN even before line rental is included.

A quick check on Uswitch shows quite a few cheaper deals including John Lewis who charge considerably less than that via Plusnet

It would seem a "no brainer" to move to JL, or am I missing something?

25 REPLIES 25
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Postcode Pricing (Market 1)

Seems she didn't shop around at outset; she needs to check when her current contract expires or she may be hit with penalty charge of course if she leaves.
Those of us in market 1 areas (laid down by OFCOM) pay the most and get the slowest service Sad
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Plusnet Feedback.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @TeeGee

Sorry to hear you were taken by surprise regarding this. Below is a bit of information that will hopefuly provide you with a better understanding of why this is the case;

Market areas are split into high or low cost:

• Low cost - Market B (used to be referred to as markets 2 or 3)
  • Non-low cost - Market A (used to be referred to market 1)

Market areas are based on the number providers at the exchange for the area. For an area to classify as Market B (low cost), it must have three or more providers present (or forecast to be present).

If you wish to check their own market area, you do so here

I hope this has helped. 

Alisdair 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@MasterOfReality

The Sam Knows database is out of date for markets, it evens use the old numeric marking system (which was changed way back in 2014).

A much better way is to use the BTW checker as it clearly list the exchange as A or B in the results. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought the whole system changed on the 1st of April this year. That appears to be when the new lower regulated Openreach prices for 40/10 FTTC started. I don't think Ofcom's Market A/B classification exists any more.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@ejs

I think the market A & B are being looked at with a report due https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/06/ofcom-propose-deregulate-uk-wholesale-broadband-market... and implementation will be schduled over the next 3 years. I cannot find the report from this review.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

They do the review every three years, not much point in them taking three years to implement the changes! It'll probably take Plusnet more than three years to change their pricing system between their high and low costs areas though.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2018/confirm-broadband-rules (obviously no-one cares about ADSL any more)

The different wholesale prices never even applied to WBC ADSL2+ and FTTC anyway.

SpendLessTime
Hero

I didn't mean or even write that every change would take 3 years. The changes are phased in as fast as can be allowed but there is a window of 3 years. Although given that the review only has 3 real selling points, the time span to implement isn't going to be long. (Legal action by disgruntled companies notwithstanding)

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

After actually getting through to PN my sister finds out she is on a two year contract! Looks like the price for commiting yourself for two yoears is a ridiculously high price and a slow speed too.  Have to say it is amazing how many peole don't think about broadband when moving house and assume it will be a similar deal to their previous home. Hey ho......

P S (for Alisdair C). Re your note I am fully aware of the situation - it was my sister who, like many others, was not.  If JL can provided a similar service for less via PN then there is something very wrong with the system.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There is a price increase in the pipe-line - this will give your sister a 30 day period to decided to exit the minimum term of the contract without penalty.  However do note that if she swaps to a non-BTw provider (unlikely to be an option in Market A) then she would still face a £30 BTw cease charge.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Actually @Townman, it's a £30 Plusnet cease charge. The BTWholesale cease charge is zero in Market A, as set by Ofcom. Somehow Plusnet manage to get away with having it both ways, blaming Ofcom or their suppliers for higher prices in Market A (even on services where this doesn't apply), while ignoring the zero cease fee in Market A.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ejs,

Are you stating that in a Market A area BTw makes no charge for switching to a LLU supplier (if one exists) NOR for disconnecting service altogether?

Frankly I cannot believe that BTw is capable of doing something so complex - one charge in one area and a different one in another, for doing the same job?  If that is really the case, it just shows how much urine BTw is extracting from Market B customers (who far out number those in Market A).  If they can do this for free in Market A, then surely they can do the same in Market B?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Ofcom decided that the BTWholesale cease fee for any service in Market A would be zero. I wasn't suggesting that BTWholesale decided to do it for free out of the goodness of their hearts, or that it somehow incurs them no costs at all in Market A areas. It's not so much that they can do it for free, it's that they've been forced not to charge anything for doing it by Ofcom.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ejs - thanks - I will go and ask some further questions. Cool_smiley

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).