cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor response from PlusNet over a reported fault

chuckster
Grafter

Poor response from PlusNet over a reported fault

Having been with PlusNet since 2004 I've always found the service very good (stable connection, good speeds - what more do you want?).  When there has been issues, in the main, these have been resolved quickly.  However, I changed phone provider which was actioned on Tuesday and since then I've had no ADSL connection.  Well, I've got connection, just no IP is obtained.
I went through the Broadband Fault Checker tool on my phone the same day.  The last entry on the ticket is from that evening:
----
9:53pm, Tuesday 27 Sep 2011
Broadband Troubleshooter error
There's been a problem with our automated troubleshooting process.
Don't worry, our Faults Team will investigate it and be in touch. We'll aim to contact you within 24 hours.
[INTERNAL]Failure of Circuit Check
----
I called yesterday to chase this and was told there's a 72hr turnaround time (I think the automated fault message needs changing then) but I'm actually quite worried that this ticket is now in limbo and not actually having anything done about it.  I see from others on the forum that they get a quicker response from posting the issue on here so am doing the same.  I do not want this ticket to be stuck in some ambiguois state and then be given the fob-off excuse of "it'll be another seven days as we have to liase with BT" et al.
The lack of updates is very poor (which is quite possibly due to the process breaking) but I'd expect someone to be looking at these soon after they happen, not leaving them for three days.
Ticket number is 47060375 for any PN techs who care to look into this for me.
Cheers,
Andy
13 REPLIES 13
chuckster
Grafter

Re: Poor response from PlusNet over a reported fault

Just had an update.. apparently, due to me changing phone provider my broadband has been ceased by the previous company.  PlusNet now have to reprovide the service which I wasn't aware of.. I thought that the broadband element of the service was seperate and managed differently.
The cherry on the cake is that because I moved house within the month I now have to pay a reprovide fee of £60.
I'm currenly on hold to cancel my account.  I am not a very happy bunny.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It looks (as you found when you called up) like your phone line was ceased when moving to the new provider. Did this involve a number change, or a move to an LLU (local loop unbundled, i.e. Sky or O2) network? It seems odd because a move between providers like ourselves who use BTs network doesn't usually involve any sort of cease or downtime.
Unfortunately it's the cease that has removed the broadband, so while we can reprovide the service I'm afraid we can't waive the standard provide fee. You'd need to chase whichever company is responsible for the cease for any sort of compensation.
chuckster
Grafter

It was to the Post Office, which i've done before at my old address.. and I never had this trouble then.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Unfortunately as we were neither the losing nor gaining provider in the phone line move there's nothing further we can do, aside from re-providing the broadband service as soon as we're able.
chuckster
Grafter

That then leaves me, the affected customer, having to pay for the fault or mistake of another company or process.  Excellent system.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry that this is a frustrating experience however as we weren't part of the process of moving your phone line I don't see how we can be at fault here? I note we've nontheless offered to reprovide the service at half price, and recommended you recoup this from the Post Office (the company responsible for ceasing your line in the first place)?
chuckster
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I'm not trying to lay fault at the door of PlusNet.  Like I said, I've been a customer since 2004 and if I wasn't happy with the service I'd have gone a long time ago (taking my referrers with me (benefit of being the family techie)).  What I am right miffed about is the fact that someone else has screwed up not only my phone line (I have a new number which I've added into one of the newer tickets that have been created to cover this issue) and they've also cut off my broadband which is provided by an entirely different company (and that I'm still paying for even though I can't use it).  The lady I spoke to on the phone about this on Friday referred to a PlusNet 'asset' being removed from the line.  How can another company remove your equipment from a line - surely there should be some checks and balances to stop disruption to service?
I will be having quite a lot to say to the Post Office about this situation, there's no worries about that.  What irritated me, as stated earlier, was that despite me being a long-standing customer, having gone through several home-moves with you and having several referrers to PlusNet, I was still told that I'd have to pay the £65 fee.  There was no ofer of help in the first instance - this had to be pushed for.  Even paying half of this leaves a sour taste - as far as I'm concerned, someone in the Exchange has interrupted the service of one of your customers.  PlusNet should be persuing the Post Office to get this issue resolved, PlusNet should be pushing for the fee from the Post Office, not from me.  I'm the poor sod in the middle of this, now out of pocket through no fault of my own.  I only hope the service can be reprovisioned quickly - else it could be another week without service.
It's left me feeling very frustrated and showed me that brand loyalty really does mean nothing these days.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you check the Plusnet T&Cs, under the Plusnet Broadband Family service terms, What we provide you will find:
4.  You will need to have a Plusnet or BT telephone line to enable you to receive your Plusnet Broadband service.

This makes it quite clear that making sure you have a connected phone line is your responsibility. I think Plusnet have been very, very generous in halving the fee when they had no obligation to do so.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chuckster
Grafter

I'm glad you weren't on the other end of the phone otherwise PN would now be around seven accounts less.  It's all about customer service, which a lot of people seem to not really care about anymore.  Something has happened to disrupt my service, through no fault of my own.  It's no use quoting me what I need to ensure I have when someone else has changed that service without my knowledge due to an issue with their processes.
I would argue whether a £65 charge is worth losing the monthly payments from those other accounts going forward.  That charge would be recouped in a matter of weeks and as PN are providing that service why can't they liase with the phone provider to get this resolved and recoup any charges themselves - again, customer service, although I'm sure the fantastic DPA will come into this.  Thankfully I had a really polite lady who did what she could in the situation and talked me into staying.  If I'd had someone quoting my responsibilities to me it would have been a very different conversation.
Mark
Grafter

Hi Chuckster
why can't they liase with the phone provider to get this resolved and recoup any charges themselves

If only we could. The challenge here is that the Post Office, nor any other service provider, would ever discuss your account with us nor we with them, for a whole host of reasons.
It's never easy, from the customers perspective, in situations such as this, but in an industry which is as heavily regulated as this, the restrictions in who can say what to who are pretty tight.
I'd love it to be a simple as you, and many like you, would wish but unfortunately it's not.
With any luck the PO will offer you a gesture, I know other companies have done so for others in the past.
Mark
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: chuckster
I'm glad you weren't on the other end of the phone otherwise PN would now be around seven accounts less

All right - explain to me why part of my subscription should subsidise you getting reconnected because of an error by the Post Office?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chuckster
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
All right - explain to me why part of my subscription should subsidise you getting reconnected because of an error by the Post Office?

Because you're a beautiful human being who has a lot of love for his fellow planet dwellers.
chuckster
Grafter

Quote from: Mark
I'd love it to be a simple as you, and many like you, would wish but unfortunately it's not.
Mark

Thanks for your response Mark, I've found out the fun and games of having to liase with two companies who have to work wo their own processes and procedures.  Maybe one day it will be nice and easy.. for now, I'll be happy once the connection is back and am online again.