cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - worst on customer service - worst on broadband switching !

shamims178

Plusnet - worst on customer service - worst on broadband switching !

Let me begin by saying that Plusnet is not capable of providing any communication services in the UK with any acceptable level of service standards and I am raising my formal complaint with Ofcom as well.
I signed up for plusnet broadband services on 6th April and paid £23.74, while switching from Sky.
Plusnet told me that my services will be activated within a few weeks and plusnet will take complete control of my switching from Sky and there is no action required on me.
On 14th April I received a confirmation email from plusnet telling me that my account is active now and I can start using Broadband straight away. I spent hours in setting up the router, connection and speaking to customer support wasting both my money and time, with my connection still not working. This went on for few more days and subsequently I was told that the Technical team picked the wrong post code hence couldn't activate my line/broadband.
Later I was told that my services will be starting from 7th May now. So far Plusnet faltered twice - one on Technical team's error, second on stretching my waiting time.
On 7th May, I received  another email from plusnet telling me that my phone line is active. This led me to call the Customer Support team to know more about my broadband activation. The customer support told me that my broadband is already active since 7th April however, when I told them that it's not working, the support team asked me to activate broadband using some login details and kept me on phone for almost 2 hours (my call log details can be found from Plusnet system), and all this led me to NO WHERE and my broadband is still not active.
All this while, however my Sky broadband is still active and I am sending this online complaint to you using sky broadband only. This means I am still with Sky and paying for them and Plusnet has FAILED to switch me from sky. To add to me grievances Plusnet is NOW telling me that it's my responsibility to contact sky for switching not their's. Fair enough, so why didn't  plusnet tells this to all customers from the very beginning?
Now I don't know-
1. What next steps Plusnet is taking to resolve my complain and is there any urgency to solve it?
2. When would my switching from Sky be completed and who will ensure that this happens successfully?
3. How will Plusnet compensate for my time, money and effort spent in contacting and writing to Plusnet so many times (check log details in your system) ?
4. Should I be paying to both Sky and Plusnet for the services for the said period?
5. Finally, failing to switch me from Sky, why shouldn't Plusnet stop telling potential customers that "Switching to Plusnet broadband and phone is quick and easy. Just follow the instructions on this pageto start enjoying our award-winning service"?
Shaz
15 REPLIES 15
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Plusnet - worst on customer service - worst on broadband switching !

This is a bit strange.
Has your phone line moved over from Sky to Plusnet yet? I assume not seeing as you're Sky broadband still works?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi shamims178,
Really sorry to see that you've experienced a delay in getting your services delayed.
I'm looking into this now to see about getting your services up and running asap.
Looking at your account it seems the land line number we've got for you may have caused an issue. Could you PM your current land line phone number over to me so I can get this progressed?
I'll be in-touch with an update as soon as I can.
shamims178

Nothing has been done...ANYHOW I don't want anything to be done now....Please cancel my contract and refund the money. That's it !!!
Can you start making progress towards cancelling the contract now...? Please DO NOT switch me from sky now...I am happy to pay more for better service and technical support !!!
This is my final decision, so please proceed with the needful !
Shaz
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

duplicate post removed
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Apologies shamims178,
I've arranged a refund of the monies you've already paid and the account has now been cancelled.
If there is anything else I can do please let me know.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I guess we will never know, but to put the record straight what went wrong here?
Did the user miss key their phone number with the consequence that the order was placed on the "wrong" line? That would not be entirely PN's failing.
Yup been there, done that, got the Tee shirt with PN.  I transposed two digits in the phone number of an order I was setting up for a referral.  Subsequently somehow the order got manually forced through on the wrong number... When I came to configure the router it did not work, much the same as this customer's experience.  PN looked back at the order process and reached a mutually agreeable resolution on that occasion.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Townman,
There was a mismatch in the data (what we were provided and what was on our suppliers systems) which caused the issues that the OP experienced.
This has now been dealt with and the account cancelled.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Linn,
Thought as much - the information provided to you did not enable the service to be ordered correctly.  A supplier cannot be expected to do a decent job if there is a mistake in the provided data at the outset.
I know that there are phone number / address system interlocks on BT owned lines, but I would suspect that matters are not so cut and dried on LLU (Sky) owned services.
Moral of the story is customers should double check the details provided when placing their order.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Two issues arise:
1. Some people have their own preferred address which is different to the official address held on the Post Office address file (PAF).
2. BTOR's system has addresses on it's system which don't match the current PAF. They are notoriously slow at correcting these issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
picbits
Rising Star

Actually - that doesn't answer the "whose fault was it".
Did the customer give the incorrect information at sign up ?
Did Plusnet incorrectly enter the information on their system ?
Did BT system reject otherwise valid data ?
Who got it wrong in this case ? Plusnet / Customer / BT ?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Well, to be honest, we don't actually know.
The order failed due to a mismatch of data. When we requested further details so we could verify this, we were requested to cancel and close the account.
picbits
Rising Star

Fair enough - cheers for the clarification Chris Smiley
Ado16
Grafter

A friend of mine once tried to go from Sky to Plusnet - only to be told there wasn't a BT phone line at his house.  That would be the (one time) BT phone line he was using to call Plusnet!  He had a similar response from some other providers.  As I understand it - there is something that Sky does to completely b*****ks up any easy chance you have to move elsewhere.
Sky is Evil.
emich34

same as what happened to me. except the cancelled my sky contract and left me in the dark forcing me to pay 100s of pounds to EE calling their inept customer support from my mobile and using 4g tethering. (I work from home and NEED internet)