cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

Tidgy
Grafter

Re: Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

Now why would they do that....  I thought they had flawless Anti-Piracy business going. Surely a small amout of backlash from the public was not the cause so why give up half way through?
Perhaps because they had nothing to go on to start with!! Roll_eyes
dick:green Quote of previous post removed as not required.
davethir
Grafter

Plusnet,
Sorry to keep banging on about this but........
ACS LAW's Client DIGIPROTECT (a German company) still has the names and addresses of 880 plusnet subscribers from the NOV 09 NPO.
In light of the actions of ACS Law (Shutting down) why does PLUSNET not demand the names and addresses back from DIGIPROTECT, they are currently in contempt (my opinion) of the court order by not providing to plusnet a report showing howmany names and addresses they had sent letters to.
This whole sordid business is falling down around the companies involved and we dont want our private information being sold on to anyone else for this to start all over again.
PLUSNET please think about the well being of your subscribers.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

ACS:Law and MediaCAT Completely Shut Down Both Their Businesses
I await confirmation of the news myself... I'm just wondering if its not just another ACS twist, and I would imagine no company (MediaCat) could enter into voluntary liquidation if its involved in a court case without the judges agreement, and ACS:Law  as a sole trader can't back out, Andrew Crossely is personally liable for all the liabilities of ACS:Law.
I really do hope the judge on Tuesday has some choice words for both MediaCat and ACS:Law on Tuesday and also joins all the rights holders, although ACS:Law might appreciate that as it will lessen his personal liability, but what it will do is make all rights holders VERY suspicious of any scheme like this in the future, and hopefully kill the whole scheme forever.
davethir
Grafter

Plusnet have you seen this https://www.privacyinternational.org/blog/are-ico-fit-purpose
It looks like the bigger you are the larger the law you can ignore.
FYI - I hold the management of BT wholely responsible for this not the people at plusnet, who I know have been working behind the scenes.
Dom
Grafter

Quote from: davethir
ACS LAW's Client DIGIPROTECT (a German company) still has the names and addresses of 880 plusnet subscribers from the NOV 09 NPO.
In light of the actions of ACS Law (Shutting down) why does PLUSNET not demand the names and addresses back from DIGIPROTECT, they are currently in contempt (my opinion) of the court order by not providing to plusnet a report showing howmany names and addresses they had sent letters to.

Interesting point. It'll be good to see how PN reacts to the latest news, and to see if they're going to ask Digi Protect that PN customer's information be destroyed.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[quote="ACS:Law and MediaCAT Completely Shut Down Both Their Businesses"]
Hot on the heels of the recent announcement in court that ACS:Law will stop chasing alleged file-sharers, comes an even more dramatic development. According to a document seen by TorrentFreak, both ACS:Law and their copyright troll client MediaCAT have just completely shut down their businesses. The news comes just days before a senior judge is due to hand down a ruling on the pair’s activities.
In a statement handed to the Patents County Court earlier this month, ACS:Law owner Andrew Crossley delivered some good news for once. The anti-piracy business had all got too much for Crossley – he would now stop chasing alleged file-sharers.

[Edit]
Woops mist the link by avatastic  Embarrassed
julesandsand
Grafter

According to this article, things may soon take a turn for the worse for Mr Crossley,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12366747
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: davethir
Plusnet,
Sorry to keep banging on about this but........
This whole sordid business is falling down around the companies involved and we dont want our private information being sold on to anyone else for this to start all over again.
PLUSNET please think about the well being of your subscribers.

It sounds like an all expenses paid 'phishing trip'.
Last year BT played the good guys, out to protect customers....after the horse had bolted.
The case involves lawyers from law firm Gallant Macmillan, who are seeking a court order to obtain the names and addresses of a "large number" of broadband users from PlusNet, BSkyB and Be Internet suspected of illegally downloading and sharing music from the nightclub and record label Ministry of Sound.
BT lawyers asked for the adjournment, saying that the firm (BT) needed to see details of the security system that would be used to store its customers' data before it could comply with any order

THis was a few days after a certain company had sent details of hundreds of customers unencrypted via e-mail.....mmmm.
Toolbox
Grafter

ACS:Law and MediaCAT Completely Shut Down Both Their Businesses
torrentfreak.com
I hope the Judge can still make a judgement.
Toolbox
Grafter

A Limited Ploy? – ACS:LAW and Media C.A.T close together
http://acsbore.wordpress.com/
v70ben
Grafter

With regards to the ACS/Mediacat being "Closed Down"
With media c.a.t being limited - you can object to this formally by writing to Companies house Wink - Generally, they do not mess about and will refuse it.
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/pdf/gbw2.pdf
8. How and why can they object?
Objections must be in writing and sent to the Registrar of Companies with any supporting evidence, such as copies of invoices that may prove the company is trading.
Reasons for objecting include:
• the company has broken any of the conditions of its application (for example, it has traded, changed its name or become subject to insolvency proceedings) during the three-month period before the application, or afterwards;
• the directors have not informed interested parties;
• any of the declarations on the form are false;
• some form of action is being taken, or is pending, to recover any money owed (such as a winding-up petition or action in a small claims court);
• other legal action is being taken against the company;
• the directors have wrongfully traded or committed a tax fraud or some other offence.

#

Sombody WILL have to write in to object though Wink - Hint to someone  Cheesy

hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Don't have time to read all 132 pages of this correspondence, so can anyone advise me on the following:
Did PN advise those of its customers accused by ACSLaw that it had received serious allegations against them?
If not, isn't there a breach of care issue here? Or at least a failure to act fairly. Innocent till proven etc...
fourfourdevon
Grafter

No they don't, and it's not at all legally clear if Plusnet can inform customers.  However, I do believe there duty of care owed by BT/Plusnet with regard to accuracy of the data, and that in this matter BT/Plusnet "processionals" and therefore the standard for care required is higher than is normal (i.e. professionals are required by law to provide a higher standard of care to their customers than an average joe doing the exact same work.  So if your neighbour repaired your car, but was not a mechanic and his repair led you to have an accident, to prove breack of care you would need to prove an average person would and should have known the repair had a high chance of causing an accident, whereas a car mechanic is judged not against what the average person would/should have known, but against what other car mechanics say they would have known in the same circumstances.)
When I looked at the data supplied to ACS:Law it was immediately clear to me there was serious problems with its integrity (accuracy) and BT/Plusnet are professionals in the field and should have known that too.  That they failed to say there was a problem is in my view a breach of care.
Toolbox
Grafter

Quote from: v70ben
With regards to the ACS/Mediacat being "Closed Down"
With media c.a.t being limited - you can object to this formally by writing to Companies house Wink - Generally, they do not mess about and will refuse it.
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/pdf/gbw2.pdf

Maybe Plusnet/BT could do that for its customers but going by past events they will do nothing or be so slow in doing it it results in the same thing.
Toolbox
Grafter

8 February, 2011 (2:16 PM)
The London Patents County Court (Judge Birss QC) has this afternoon prevented Andrew Crossley's controversial solicitors firm, ACS:Law UK, and its intermediary MediaCAT, from discontinuing 26 cases of alleged "illegal" internet copyright P2P file sharing by broadband ISP customers.
ispreview.co.uk

Today, despite the apparent closure of both anti-piracy law firm ACS:Law and its copyright troll partner MediaCAT, the Patents Country Court began yet another hearing to announce how more than two dozen previously filed cases should be handled. Judge Birss QC slammed the scheme operated by the pair and denied them the opportunity to drop the cases.
torrentfreak.com