cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet unwilling to prove it's not a phishing call when Sales make an outward call

TonyBrown

Plusnet unwilling to prove it's not a phishing call when Sales make an outward call

I received a call from 01143 073836 today. The person said she was from PlusNet, and wanted to discuss my account. She then proceeded to ask for the security information before she would tell me why she was calling. I told her I routinely get calls from BT, Sky, EE and many others, which are obviously not real, and asked her to prove she was calling from PlusNet by providing some letters from my account name. She refused, saying she couldn't provide any information before I did her security.

If I call PlusNet, I am happy that it is only right and proper that I provide security information before they discuss things with me, but it seems PlusNet don't think that is appropriate before making a call to a customer. I think the one-sidedness of this needs addressing, if PlusNet wish to make sales calls to existing customers, it seems only right (from a security point of view), that they are able to demonstrate, on that call, they they are indeed PlusNet, and not someone pretending to be from PlusNet.

9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Plusnet unwilling to prove it's not a phishing call when Sales make an outward call

Actually its worse than that.

I asked the salesperson to prove they were genuine and they said they couldn't; it turned out that Plusnet had outsourced a batch of accounts to a 3rd party organisation.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Plusnet unwilling to prove it's not a phishing call when Sales make an outward call

@Townman and the SUPER USER GROUP should be able to get this sorted. 

I fully agree with the O.P.. it is something that I have had experience of previously...

Lets face it.... anyone can claim to be anyone they like... and ask for personal "security" checks before proceeding with "their" OFFICIAL type call...

and it is exactly this flaw in the systems that the scammers take full advantage of.

..so... PLUSNET  isn`t it about time that all customers were issued with a PIN number, or some other means, , that will enable customers called by Plusnet staff are  able to "reverse" the security checks from the customer being called, to ensure that the person at Plusnet is a genuine caller. .

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Been requested a few times previously.  Raised again for a more positive response. Police

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MauriceC  so... it has been flagged up and discussed before.... and nothing has happened... so .. flagging it up again.  will result in ? ? ?

provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

@MauriceC wrote:         Raised again for a more positive response. Police

So a "more positive response" would come from where? and what kind of "positive response" would it be ? ?  

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Patience @shutter.   Not everything we raise has the same priority and it may take several attempts to get things moving.  I've re-raised this in the context of GDPR compliance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

Ah yes... patience... what every customer needs !... especially when waiting on the phone...  

Been waiting for 10 years for an improvement on the waiting times...  as per a long thread I started ... and the famous words repeated over and over were   " Give us time..... and we`ll get there"...

Of course... ... patience is a virtue... and so those who were looking forward to the improved billing system... also promised some years ago... are still waiting.

the only positive thing about these things, will be that it will positively take a long time, to get ANY response/action on the problems... as it seems that "given time... they (PN) hope it will "go away quietly" and nothing need to be done.....

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How many thousand complaints about web mail are outstanding?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I believe the present webmail thread is only 2 years old Angry  but the Billing started 8+ years ago Ticked_off

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Drifting off the original topic guys!