cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet sent me a letter meant for someone else

bounty
Dabbler

Plusnet sent me a letter meant for someone else

Plusnet sent me a letter meant for someone else.
The letter was for a new customer who signed up to broadband. It has their name, account username, password hint, email address, broadband  username and part of their broadband password.
This is their personal account details that can be used as security check when contacting plusnet.
Plusnet might send the router to my address aswell.

how can this happen?
I have contacted the new customer about this by email.
32 REPLIES 32
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Plusnet sent me a letter meant for someone else

does it have your address and post code or their address post code?
first question would be, if it was not addressed to you (ie your name) then why did you open it?
you should have returned it with the "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS" mark over the un-opened envelope.
bounty
Dabbler

It had my full address thats why I opened the letter also had plusnet plc on the letter,
plusnet was going to send me a letter about madasafish.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Has no one heard of the saying, "stuff happens"?
Any person or business can make a mistake, so it seems to me that the OP is just another hitch on to the band wagon of let's have a dig at Plusnet.
More sensible ways have been pointed out, and the letter could have been returned with an explanation.
In short, deal with such things in an adult businesslike way! Roll_eyes
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: lucerne
Has no one heard of the saying, "stuff happens"?

There's a hell of a lot of stuff that's happening at Plusnet these days!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Hero

Still, one needs to have a sense of proportion: some are in danger of losing that, Methinks!
dick:quote
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
In short, deal with such things in an adult businesslike way! Roll_eyes

By reporting the data protection breach to the ICO?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
chenks76
All Star

technically the breach was done by the person opening the letter that wasn't addressed to them.
if the person who's name was on the letter was not at that address then it should simply have been returned unopened.
bounty
Dabbler

I didn't have my reading glasses on when I picked up the envelope to open it, I couldn't see the name through the window of envelope, I could see my door number and some of the address, the post code had larger text. When I put my reading glasses on to read the letter I noticed the name.
Please think before making comments about someone opening letters.
chenks76
All Star

just stating that you opened mail that wasn't addressed to you.
in your first post you said "how can this happen"
well it can happen just as easily as someone not putting on their reading glasses and opening mail that wasn't addressed to them.
you admitted that you could see your door number and "part" of the address, but not the full address or the name?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There does seem to be a lot of ridiculous replies here. Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of opening letters incorrectly addressed, the OP is clearly rightly concerned that PN's system have managed to send personal data to completely the wrong address.
How about waiting for PN to comment about how their system has made such a catastrophic error rather than rounding on the OP for opening a letter that was partially addressed to them?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If everyone posting on here says that they ALWAYS double check the name on mail (even when it's obscured because the letter has slid inside the envelope so it's now not in the window) I don't believe them!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Hero

Certainly I would not claim that, but I make a good effort, where the name is obscured to make sure of the recipient. (I daren't open SWMBO's). One of the few exceptions I made to opening mail, was some addressed to the previous owner in respect of $ shares. We had been forwarding it on for years, and I finally lost patience with her failure to do anything. By "illegally" opening it I found a UK office, advised them of her details. Right or wrong, the annoyance ceased.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Having had a number of wrongly delivered items of mail dropped through my letterbox, it is now standard practice for me to look at the name and address of everything that arrives.
Not very good that someone's personal information is sent to someone else though.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Isn't it odd how Plusnet's mistake has morphed into a mistake on the part of the OP. This is Plusnet's mistake. The focus should be on them, not the OP.
Next time Plusnet sends out your personal information to a random somebody, let's hope you can find out who they are so you can complain to them that they shouldn't have opened the letter.