cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet's Service level agreement with BT Wholesale

TomJasper
Dabbler

Plusnet's Service level agreement with BT Wholesale

It's my belief that the negotiated Service Level Agreement with BT Wholesale is weak.
Whether that is due to poor negotiation skills or to get a better price with BT isn't relevant.
What is to your customers is to ensure the best possible resolution to their problems.
Consider. The time taken to confirm a song likelihood of a fault is very quick (I think within an hour).
The fault is then reported to BT.
The SLA states that BT will endeavor to arrange an engineer visit between 24 and 72 hours later. Note this I'd the time taken to arrange for an engineer, not for the engineer to arrive.
I do not know the subsequent duration.
Between one and three days to schedule an engineer.
My understanding from BT consumer customers is that the engineers are arranged within 24 hours (anecdotal, sample of two). this should be the maximumSLA for this step for all customers, regardless of how long BT Wholesale take forBT customers
Naturally, Plusnet will be blamed for this, which on the surface is unfair as it is BT Wholesale who introduce the delay. However, Plusnet are accountable for this delay because it is they who accepted the SLA within the contract
Consider how your customers use the service: key things like 24 hour internet banking, Television services, working remotely (in some cases there will not be an option for the customer to go into their office), College course work, etc... Internet access is nearly as important as Electricity in this age.
Customers go to Plusnet due to your exemplary service reputation to ensure that they have the best possible chance of a good connection yet here we have a guaranteed built in delay before an engineer is allocated.
In my instance, I have a fried Openreach modern (this is a straight box replacement) and this necessitates an engineer visit and associated cost to either BT Wholesale or, I suspect, Plusnet.
Absurd.
Meantime, I am searching for a loan of a box until a BT Wholesale engineer can arrive.
So... Plusnet management representative: why is your SLA with BT structured like this? Cost? Blind acceptance of what is offered? Ineptly inefficient IT systems at BT Wholesale? Something insisted upon by the BT group to ensure an unfair competitive advantage to the BT Consumer Broadband?
Or something reasonable that is understandable to this customer?
I want to remain an advocate and I find it hard now this has come to light.
Tomdited... Accidentally posted from phone whilst very ncomplete.
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet's Service level agreement with zBT Wholesale

This is a very cryptic post - I suggest explaining exactly what you are suggesting otherwise it is liable to be moved from Feedback
TomJasper
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet's Service level agreement with zBT Wholesale

Agreed, with embarrassment. Corrected.
dick:quote
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Plusnet's Service level agreement with BT Wholesale

If you only need a replacement modem then i can see no real reason why one cannot be ordered by plusnet and  it be dispatched by courier or the royal mail to your address, Especially since FTTC self installs are already an option or soon will be , But for it to require a BT openreach engineer  to basically deliver  the modem to you is a bit silly when you consider the possible charges that maybe raised by BT openreach ,
Can i be so bold to ask how you managed to fry the modem ?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: deathtrap
i can see no real reason why one cannot be ordered by plusnet and  it be dispatched by courier or the royal mail to your address,

Process.  If BT Openreach don't make the modem available to order, PlusNet can't order it!  The modem is swapped as part of BTO's fault resolution process and if that's the way they organise it then there's nothing the OP or PlusNet can do to change things.
To the OP - Plenty of 'spares' on ebay for not a lot of money...
TomJasper
Dabbler

Agreed ree eBay (one ordered but not yet delivered ).a sensible future investment.
As it happens, I have been lent one and, largely through expressing my frustration, someone is being charged for an engineer visit on Monday.
I think it was fried by a brownout preceding a power cut (I was home so switched off all the tech stuff before it came back on -i only have moderate faith in my surge protection).
Why is acceptable that BT don't permit ordering by their customers is beyond me, as is the reason why they insist on sending an engineer.
Still, my question here is why is the SLA committed to BT Wholesale so lax.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am puzzled - why do you keep on going on about BT Wholesale when fault reporting and fix is with BT Openreach
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: deathtrap
If you only need a replacement modem then i can see no real reason why one cannot be ordered by plusnet and  it be dispatched by courier or the royal mail to your address,

Very likely because if they did that then there'd be even more of them available on Ebay!
They could, however, insist on return of faulty ones (and charge if not returned - or not faulty?).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TomJasper
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
I am puzzled - why do you keep on going on about BT Wholesale when fault reporting and fix is with BT Openreach

In my ignorance I used the same reference to that which Plusnet Support used without questioning.
I'm happy to stand corrected.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Plusnet support usually say "our provider" regardless of whether it is BTw or BTo which is really informative  Crazy
Mark
Grafter

There is no ability to negotiate service levels.  The product (s) comes with pre defined SLA's and is the same across the industry, irrespective of CP.
CP's can chose enhanced service levels which can be passed on to customers at cost but the bottom line remains, ADSL / FTTx is a best effort service and no guaranteed fix times are offered or promised to CP's.
It's what it is and no amount of negotiation can alter that. The price points are in the public domain, regulated and equivalent across the industry the canot be negotiated up or down to improve SLA.
BT Retail are subject to the exact same SLA's and engineer lead times as Plusnet and every other CP.
M
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In the case of FTTC, it is Openretch's performance that is poor and that is now being looked into by OFCOM, but how long before there is any outcome, who knows.