cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet line rental set to drop in price??

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet line rental set to drop in price??

As the wholesale line rental price that openreach charge operaters such as plusnet  continues to drop ( see here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7187-1-added-to-sky-voice-line-rental.html) will plusnet be passing these savings on to its customers?
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet line rental set to drop in price??

Not a chance in hell.
They'll keep pushing up the line rental costs so that they can advertise ever cheaper broadband deals. Sad thing is too many people fall for the con! Angry
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AlaricAdair
Champion

Just migrate to a VOIP phone system like SIPgate and avoid fixed line call tariffs and call set up fees. It takes a little investment in a decent VOIP phone handset, but is then plain sailing after that.
I could understand a "Call Set up" fee in the days of manual phone operators who'd physically move a plug wire to connect you. However nowadays the process is totally automatic and fees for call set up are purely price gouging.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I presume that the OP had his tongue very firmly in his cheek with that remark  Grin
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

Sitting here watching a load of pink piggies flying past the window.
pint
Aspiring Pro

I know that plusnet arent the only ones who are charging what appears to be excessive amounts for line rental, however more people are begining to notice the rapidly increasing gap between the wholesale price and the price that is charged.

image taken from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7187-1-added-to-sky-voice-line-rental.html
Another thing is that even with the background of falling wholesale prices, what one company does ( puts the price up) another one soon follows, almost as if there is some price fixing/ some sort of cartel in opperation
Apprentice
Grafter

Another thing is that even with the background of falling wholesale prices, what one company does ( puts the price up) another one soon follows, almost as if there is some price fixing/ some sort of cartel in opperation]

I expect Ofcom are watching these developements closely at a distance
  Tongue
pint
Aspiring Pro

Another Issue is, that if line rental is subsidising broadband and TV packages then things need sorting out on all levels.

I know a few people ( all be it some what older) who have been with BT since they moved into their house in 1970/60 something, have no broadband, no' fancy'' tv subscriptions and just the same old phone line they first ordered/had installed to their new house by the GPO, and are paying through the nose for a phone system that appears to be subsidising broadband/tv packages.
when it comes to e-mail and using the internet they have relatives/friends for that ( even printing and posting  emails on paper)
Its about time that Offcom stepped in and said that
Line rental costs this ( X% above the wholesale price)
ADSL costs that
Fibre costs this
and call packages are this
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

They have to increase price's to cover the cost of the FREE give aways  Angry
so long term customers are paying for the freebies Sad  thanks  PN 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I agree wholeheartedly that the broadband/TV costs should be subsidising line rental ,not t'other way round. I was aghast at my aged mother's telephone bill when I visited the other day -she is paying over £40 per month just for rental and calls. She has a calls package but so many people only leave mobile nos. now.......
As a contrast my monthly total inc. broadband,rental and calls is only ~ £14 because of deals on the broadband portion.
The problem is, that at her advanced age, she can't cope with anything other than a bog standard phone. The mobile has proved to be beyond her and using a third party like 18185 would be far too complicated.