cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet gone the way of all ISP's

norskman

Plusnet gone the way of all ISP's

I have been a customer on and off for many years 10+ - there are at least 10 lines with broadband installed because I told them to go to Plusnet.
Plusnet have always been a good ISP. They understood routing, understood customers and their customer service was good.
Recently, BT cut my line and no fault of Plusnet's i was cut-off for 4 days whilst BT fixed the problem.
Thereafter, I put in a load balancing routing ( draytek).
i cannot afford to be cut-off. I work from home and do international business. So my VoIP Pbx and email was off the air.
Once, I had fixed all the issues I made my main service Virgin Media (XL) which in my area runs at 105Mbps.
The backup is Plusnet.
After a month or so i changed to the consumer service. Where you can DL up to 40Gb - but when ever the Virgin service had a minute interuption the Draytek switched the users to PlusNet but not back to Virgin.
i found that I have DL'ed on Plusnet - over 80GB. My bills for 2 months were over £150.
I paid the bills. I spoke with Plusnet who are holding me to the 24 month contract.
Guess who is loosing 10 customers....So far 3 have gone.
its the only way they can learn. When I have made them loose 10X what they charge me - I will reconsider using them again. In the meantime, i am paying them monthly and there is not even anything connected in the socket!
bye.

21 REPLIES 21
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet gone the way of all ISP's

Have you seen the Plusnet Unlimited packages - only a few quid more every month than the base packages but without the download limits ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So you moved to Essential fibre with a 40GB usage limit and extra usage charged at £5 per GB then due to your actions or rather those of your router you downloaded a whole lot more than that.
You would have received emails notifying you of each £5 per 5GB extra usage
You didn't set a maximum extra spend
I fail to see why this is the fault of Plusnet
I hope the other customers you are moving appreciate that they are being moved because you are throwing your toys out of the pram not because they are getting a poor service
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Anything I might say about this would get me in to trouble with the moderators!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
picbits
Rising Star

I did have to bite my own tongue slightly .....
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi norskman,
Sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the current situation, looking at the costs you've incurred for usage then I would certainly suggest taking a look at our unlimited package as this would see you in a much better financial situation with us.
I hope this helps.
Chris
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

What an extraordinary complaint!
You took out a contract with PN for a fixed term.
After that you decided to use Virgin primarily and built a system which could default to downloading more-or-less unlimitedly from PN on a capped product.
This cost you a good deal of money because you didn't understand what you'd done and didn't check what was happening often enough.
And you think you should give PN a good kicking because you goofed?
Roll_eyes
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

"PlusNET gone the way of all ISPs" - you mean it's no different from other ISPs, like for example Virgin whom you've made your primary supplier?
I can discern no failing here on the part of PN.  YOU chose to use a PN residential package to deliver a business critical service.  You configured the system, it dd not do what you expected when your (new) primary provider's service frequently failed and thus BUSINESS volume use exceeded your RESIDENTIAL usage allowance.
Now please explain in simple words PNs contribution to the issue YOU created.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

It must be tempting for Plusnet to look at his referrals and for any that have requested a MAC send them a link to this topic!
droffy
Grafter

OMG glad i read this topic, did you refer me as well, if so i better leave as well, and where are all your referls going ? to virgin with you? with all the down time i bet they will be happy Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Whilst I agree that Norskman has himself to blame, if the extra charge he incurred exceeds the cost of being on Unlimited for the rest of his contract then it's a pity that Plusnet cannot do some sort of retroactive transfer to unlimited, adjustment and part refund for anyone who finds themselves in his situation (and doesn't just storm off in a huff).  I doubt that Plusnet ever intended their excess usage charges to extract large multiples of your monthly charge and since the launch of Unlimited it must be particularly galling if you find that you have paid an excess charge that exceeds the extra cost of being on Unlimited for a year or two.
I went away to check my Manage my Usage settings and was pleased to see that I had set my excess spend to zero, but does everybody know about this option?  I think that any company that cares about its customers should try to stop them from making really expensive mistakes so perhaps Plusnet needs to change their system to force a cap on the maximum extra spend? 
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Was the OP aware of the usage limits on his chosen products?  Almost certainly - this is a fundamental feature of the product.
Was the OP aware of the implications of exceeding the limit?  Should have been - this is made clear at sign-up and in the Ts & Cs.
Was the OP aware of the facility to set a spending limit (and the implications of doing so)?  Again, should have been.
Has the OP ever set a spending limit?  Only the OP (and possibly PN) can answer this one.
Has the OP ever changed product?  If so, were they made aware that any spending limit is reset to 'no limit' - this is the one area where I would expect PN to look at possible refund.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I presume that Norskman, if he's quoted a day to do a job and it then takes 10 because of an issue caused by the client only bills them for the one quoted. That would be the equivalent of what he's expecting of Plusnet!
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

From what I can see in the PN site  business broadband products are dearer than personal for similar usage &c.
Without specific reference to this case, could it be held that some person/body entering a contract for a personal contract with knowledge its principal use is for business purposes, is committing a fraudulent act? Should/has the other party a right of recovery of the underpayments?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

No response from Norskman?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine