Pro
Fixes: 7

Plusnet fined for billing ex-customers

20 REPLIES 20
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Plusnet fined for billing ex-customers

OOOOOOps Sad   do you think they may Hasten to update their billing system now ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

This will not hit the headlines given the £20 million+ fine given to Thames Water today.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Maybe not headlines but it is being reported, here is the BBC version

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Mustrum - looks like the BBC & The Register employ the same journalists, if you look at the link provided by @BrightonRock

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Probably all based on a press release from Ofcom -  the FT one is also not much different

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

There go the discounts! Sad

Mars2050
Rising Star

I will post what I posted in my thread, as this thread already exists.

See, you cant even trust Plusnet not to charge you, for services that you are not using. Now expect your broadband prices to rise very soon.

That dedicated network costs a lot to run BTW, so plusnet customers really will pay for it, after being fined.

PN really will do us proud.Wink

Luzern
Hero

Oh, such a fuss over that fine it is! Discounts will be no more; prices rise, and so on and so on. That's how media ( incl here) see it. Now consider that the fine represents but about 2% of the 2015-16 net profit. Profits fluctuate, so I suggest that the penalty has less significance than normal fluctuations. Also if the hit is absorbed over a period, we will hardly notice that in all the other changes.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

All that I can say is that plusnet walked into that with their eyes wide open.

Plusnet should consider themselves lucky that the fine isn't directly related to earnings like the proposed speeding fines may be.

Jonpe
Hero

Judging by the posts on this forum I don't think PN will be done for speeding any time soon!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@billnotben wrote:

All that I can say is that plusnet walked into that with their eyes wide open.

Plusnet should consider themselves lucky that the fine isn't directly related to earnings like the proposed speeding fines may be.

If I recall correctly, PlusNET discovered this issue and reported themselves to Ofcom.

If my memory is correct, then there's a fair argument that (as ever) Ofcom has once again shown how useless they are ... They do nothing about sorting out the very visible bad practices of BTOR, yet when an organisation fesses up to having made a mistake (and rectifies it) they get clobbered with fines, it is not as though Ofcom did any great detective work here.

I fear this is nothing more than the totally useless Ofom huffing and puffing in a vain attempt to appear to be doing something useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Nothing apart from threatening to split-off Openreach until they agreed to that legal separation deal.

I think the complexity and scale of the problems are somewhat different, sorting out Openreach vs. stopping taking money from customers after they've left.

Also, Plusnet couldn't really rectify it, considering that they only managed to refund 356 out of the 1,025 affected customers.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@ejs,

I completely agree that the scope of rectification was limited ... I guess though that was based on still being able to contact the customers in question and they respond to communications hampered by possible banking restrictions on being able to apply refunds on bank / card accounts for which there is no residual commercial relationship.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Townman wrote:

If I recall correctly, PlusNET discovered this issue and reported themselves to Ofcom.

Yes but I don't think they had much choice in that.

There seemed to be more and more angry posts on that subject and plusnet looked totally unable to fix the problem.