Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet does not do us proud...

franniehuntie

Plusnet does not do us proud...

Hello,
Disappointment is a weak word!
Having registered with Plusnet end of may because of the good Internet ratings (???), we are now terribly upset.
The letter says, you can cancel for 14 days... Yes, but nothing happened for 14 days! and now we cannot cancel. The time has run out!
The modem was sent some time ago. We had been told, the broadband service would start on the12th. On the 15th, still nothing. We phoned. Waiting time: 15 mns. The technician tested all kinds of things, told us that it would work before midnight. But it never happened.
The next day, we called again. Again 15 mns waiting in the queue. Again tests. Again we were told the broadband would be active before midnight. But again, it did not happen.
So the next day (wednesday), we called again. This time we were announced 30 mns to wait, because they had a problem with the new modems.
After a while, a technician took the call, did a few tests again, but could do nothing, because apparently they were not sure where the problem lay. Obviously the modem was not working properly. So he ordered a new modem that we received on thursday morning. He said he would call us back at some point in the day.
We tried AGAIN setting up the modem, but to no avail. So, not being called, we called. And again 15 mns to wait in the queue.
Again tests, including a line test, but still nothing conclusive, and he said they had to check our information at the exchange. Our password had been changed, for tests purposes, everything had gone out of sync. We were told that we would be called back on saturday or maybe monday.
The next day, friday morning, we were not in the house, and discovered when we came back that we had been called. Sorry, we cannot spend our time next to the phone. Can you explain the logic behind their sending us an email considering we are not supposed to have an internet connection???
We would not have known what was the matter, but thanks to my mobile phone on which I can read my mail with difficulty in the area where we live, we discovered that the phone call we had missed was from Plusnet saying that an engineer would have to call and that if he found a fault with the equipment or the line, we would be charged £50!!!
It sounded like a threat.
We called Plusnet - again 15 mns to wait - and we explained our extreme situation to a new technician, and got an appointment for the engineer.... next thursday, a week later!!!
This is simply appalling!!! We get the impression of being held hostage as we cannot cancel our subscription with Plusnet without penalties even though we would like very much to.
Needless to say that after one year we will change providers, and in the meantime, we will let everybody know about such bad practice.
Regards,
Fran and Huntie
30 REPLIES 30
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Plusnet does not do us proud...

Hi Fran and Huntie,
I've read through your post here and the notes on your account, it doesn't make for good reading. I've been through some line tests and I can't spot anything set up incorrectly. As it's a 20CN line (up to 8Mb/s only) then the ordering process from our side is a little different, but that looks correct.
From the test I've just run the router itself isn't in sync, so both the internet and broadband lights will probably be off at the moment. If the router isn't plugged in to the master socket can you do so please.
I'd like to get you up and running, then we can look in to how long the delay was and sort out a gesture of goodwill for you at that point. Fingers crossed the engineer this week can resolve the problem.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
franniehuntie

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply. As you know, it is very difficult for us to have access to internet and to answer messages. It is even more difficult on the forum, as we have no stable connection.
Reading what you say about everything being apparently ok and not seeing any solution to our problem makes us think that it is going to be very long to resolve the problem.
In fact, our sincere wish would be for you (Plusnet) to accept to cancel the contract, as we have been looking at other options which seem to be more viable in this area, distant from the exchange. So we are very limited with any packages we may receive.
Best regards,
Fran and Huntie
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Reading what you say about everything being apparently ok and not seeing any solution to our problem makes us think that it is going to be very long to resolve the problem

I'd try not to look at it that way. If our tests don't show an obvious cause for a fault (which they often don't) we can identify and get them fixed via intervention from our suppliers.
I've set myself a reminder for after your engineer visit on Thursday so either myself or Chris can follow things up with you.
Hoping to see this resolved or progressed at the very least by then.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
franniehuntie

Hello Adam,
I think our pessimism is certainly warranted considering that the engineer who was supposed to call today never appeared. We stayed at home all day long, not far from the phone, and... lo and behold, no engineer.
We are wondering what is the next move...
Do we have to wait in another day for a non existent engineer to call?
We would be grateful if you could get this problem resolved ASAP.
Thank you.
Fran and Hunter
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm really sorry about the missed visit today.
I've just picked up the phone to ask if you can be free tomorrow but no one answered.
If you're able to let me know before 7.45 this evening if that's a possibility I should be able to get an AM slot booked in for tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
franniehuntie

Unfortunately we had to go out to do some shopping, having been unable to do it today. We waited until 6.00/6.30 PM and then went out.
What would really really please us would be if Plusnet accepted to terminate the contract, without too many penalties, because in reality we have paid for something and it is non operational since day 1.
There comes a time when enough is enough.
franniehuntie

Hello,
Last episode in a catastrophic series: we called the helpline today, to book a new appointment with an engineer, and to know what the conditions would be to get free from Plusnet... We were told by the technician that he would call us back within an hour for an appointment, and that the cost to terminate the contract would be £99.
Having no call within 1h30 (surprise, surprise!!), we called, asked to cancel, and were told by the cancellation department that we would have to pay £124!!! such a sum for nothing, because in one month's time, no service has been provided! I would like to make money as easily as that!!
What a scandal!
hapless
Grafter

Hi franniehuntie,
I really feel your frustration coming through, but I would suggest that you write a simple email to Plusnet, stating that as you have not had a working connection from the beginning, they now have 7 days to provide the service as agreed.
As it's unlikely they will have sorted things in those 7 days, write a "proper" letter, send it special delivery (recorded is just proof of posting, which you can get for free, but special is tracked through to signature) stating agin that Plusnet have failed in their contracted responsibilities.
As they have already declared above that they are still in the dark as to what is going on, and they are willing to offer compensation, then I suggest a figure around £125 is acceptable?
To save them the hassle of moving the money to your account, they can keep it in lieu of their completely unrealistic cancellation fee and let you go to whoever you wish to.
Job done!!
On a serious note, do write, and do seek out other web platforms to raise your issue - keeping it here only limits it's audience.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Raise a formal complaint here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22909&wizard_id=38
In it state that you want to cancel and want a full refund (you might also ask for some compensation if you have incurred costs because of their failure to deliver or lost wages because of the missed appointments). State that if they are not prepared to do that you want a deadlock letter. Also say that you are giving them 14 days to respond.
If they don't agree your next step is CISAS - see http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/complaints_code_of_practice.shtml?&wizard=1#notHappy
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
franniehuntie

Many thanks to both for your advice.  Smiley
I can tell that, whatever we do, we will certainly let others know about our plight! Embarrassed
Cheers!
hapless
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Raise a formal complaint here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22909&wizard_id=38
In it state that you want to cancel and want a full refund (you might also ask for some compensation if you have incurred costs because of their failure to deliver or lost wages because of the missed appointments). State that if they are not prepared to do that you want a deadlock letter. Also say that you are giving them 14 days to respond.
If they don't agree your next step is CISAS - see http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/complaints_code_of_practice.shtml?&wizard=1#notHappy

Have to say I disagree with you there chap.
If Plusnet have failed to provide the service, then after 4 weeks of no service they are perfectly entitled to request termination of the contract with no penalties due. Just because you ask a business to supply a product or service, and they have lovely pages of t's&c's to back up their offering, doesn't mean it's legal.
Straight from CitizensAdvice site https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/phones-tv-internet-and-computers/problems-with-contracts-...:
If your service provider breaks their side of the contract, for example, they don't do what is in the terms and conditions, or they don't deliver the service, you may be able to argue that you can rescind the contract. This has the effect of cancelling it without you paying any penalties or charges.
Keep on at them franniehuntie!!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What don't you agree with? I'm saying they should demand a full full refund and if they've suffered loses compensation on top. I'm also telling them the correct way to go about it.
Going to CISAS will cost Plusnet (win or lose) around £400 so doing as I recommended should bring about a satisfactory conclusion.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hapless
Grafter

Morning jelv,
the Cisas route requires a deadlock letter, which Plusnet won't provide anytime soon and you usually have to wait 8 weeks before involving either of the dispute resolution schemes.
Plusnet being signed up to CISAS, the other scheme being OTELO - this info is for others out there who may not be aware of the 2 schemes and there is no obligation for a service provider to use one over the other, BT & Virgin for instance uses OTELO.
The majority of service providers (I include isp's, telco's and TV outfits under that heading) would love you to believe the only route of complaint and redress is the route they publish, which you have clearly stated.
However, consumer law typically trumps most unfair terms and obviously service providers don't want to admit that too loudly.
franniehuntie has already stated clearly they are fed up with the lack of comms, no broadband and no sign soon of it happening and wish to go to a.n.other provider, so why would they want to jump through multiple hoops?
They are in a clear legal standing that they can recind the order, end of, and go to whoever they wish.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Setting aside the "I want to bash PlusNET" attitude of some of the advice here, it all misses the fact that the line is provided by BTOR and it is their engineers who failed to turn up.  Kicking out PlusNET is not going to change that factor in the user's current situation unless they can switch to Virgin Media or take up a 4G wireless option.
If the fault is in the BTOR infrastructure it will still be there for any other supplier using BTOR wires.
The right solution here is to work with PlusNET to get an expedited repair from BTOR and then agree recompense for non-service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.