cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

I keep saying this, but no-one seems to want to listen - the products are (usually) correctly described if you read the information beyond the headlines - i.e. FTTC for Fibre To The Cabinet where the last leg from cabinet to your property is still over the copper cable, or FTTP for Fibre To The Premises, where the fibre-optic cable is installed to inside you property to a new termination point.

If you are in one of the areas not previously supplied over the FTTC circuit, and BTOR are now directly installing FTTP, no, you cannot currently get a service from Plusnet as BT - the ultimate owners, decided some time ago that as their 'budget' brand, the PN name would not be used where FTTP was supplied, although I have seen references to a possible change to this approach coming 'in the near future'.

John
guykerr
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

Thanks for the explanation.
I'm sure the small print will cover the FTTC issue however, I think the use of the term fibre should really only apply to FTTP. Just my opinion and technically and probably legally, Plusnet would be entitled to call FTTC fibre but to a lot of people will likely assume that fibre actually means FTTP even if they do not really understand the subtleties.
It is interesting that it is a conscious decision by Plusnet not to supply FTTP even where Open reach have enabled it in the area and leave BT (and rival suppliers) to pick up those customers.
This may be a strategy that through time, depletes their customer base with many perhaps never returning.
Oh well!
jab1
Legend

No problem, @guykerr . As I am moving from PN (for different reasons), I admit I haven't looked at their advertised offerings, so can't comment on the descriptions.

As said previously though, the different products are properly described - if the fibre is only to the cabinet, it is FTTC, if it is available to the premises, then it is FTTP - don't understand the confusion, to be honest, but as I've been on the 'net from the 56k 'dial-up' days, I am probably at an advantage.

The decision for the omission of FTTP under the Plusnet 'name' was taken by the parent company - BT - and not Plusnet themselves.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Plusnet Feedback

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 wrote:

I keep saying this, but no-one seems to want to listen - the products are (usually) correctly described if you read the information beyond the headlines - i.e. FTTC for Fibre To The Cabinet where the last leg from cabinet to your property is still over the copper cable, or FTTP for Fibre To The Premises, where the fibre-optic cable is installed to inside you property to a new termination point.

Possibly @jab1 , but how many people trawl the small print for those details (that's if copper is even mentioned)?

It's the large print like that below that fools many people into believing they're ordering an actual fibre connection.  Wink

Edit:  Although I haven't bothered to check other ISPs offerings, I doubt PlusNet will be alone in this practice which has been allowed by the powers that be.

PNfibre1.PNG

PNfibre2.PNG

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Pretty sure it started with Virgin describing coax as fibre.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend

Cheers for that @RobPN , and yes, that does read as a fibre connection, so I stand corrected.😁

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Maybe the three services should be:

Broadband from your exchange (BE).

Broadband from your local cabinet (BC).

Fibre.

What’s the betting that FTTP keeps being referred to as broadband, which is the technology used  on the final copper link and therefore not used on FTTP connections.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Baldrick1 wrote:

What’s the betting that FTTP keeps being referred to as broadband, which is the technology used  on the final copper link and therefore not used on FTTP connections.

Unfortunately I suspect it already is being referred to as such by many @Baldrick1  Wink