cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

At the moment Plusnet do not offer any fibre products, just services over the copper network, so why are they miss leading people by calling the copper services "fibre broadband" when they are anything but.

This is born out by a few local people moaning that BT/openreach are digging up the roads for something ( fibre broadband/internet )  they do not need as they already have "fibre Broadband"

38 REPLIES 38
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

@pint PN do offer FTTC but not FTTP - providing BT have enabled FTTC in your area.

Don't quite understand what you are claiming, TBH?

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

@pint wrote:

At the moment Plusnet do not offer any fibre products, just services over the copper network, so why are they miss leading people by calling the copper services "fibre broadband" when they are anything but.

@pint 

I agree that calling VDSL "Fibre" is misleading, but unfortunately the powers that be have allowed that from the beginning, which is why most, if not all, ISPs jump on that bandwagon.

Buyer beware and all that, but that wouldn't be necessary if the product had to be named truthfully.

Edit:  typo

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

All ISPs sell FTTC as Fibre broadband. The ones that sell FTTP tend to sell it either as Ultrafast Fibre or Full Fibre.

If an ISP were to start to sell FTTC as 'not quite real Fibre' , how many new customers do you think they would get ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Hobo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Plusnet have been providing an FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) product for several years, copper is only used from the local fibre enabled cabinet to the property, there was a FTTP (Fibre to the Property) trial which finished several years ago people that were on the trial were offered the choice of remaining on the service as it was already installed and running at their property. 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@jab1 @MisterW @Hobo 

I think the (valid IMO) point @pint is making is that due to a significant number of people being fooled into thinking they already have fibre (which is how their VDSL2 connection has been described to them), they cannot see why their neighbourhood is being dug up to provide proper fibre connections which they think has already been provided.  Smiley

jab1
Legend

Probably, @RobPN - but it doesn't read that way - to me, at least. I would also think @pint also knows the difference between FTTC  and FTTP - but I could be mistaken, of course.😉

John
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Its all stemmed from a phone call - as i will be getting some shopping for a few people who are at home/isolating ( still)  where a few people have moaned about temporary traffic lights and roadworks i said it was for a fibre install / finishing off installing fibre internet in the area - comments came back along the lines of we already have fibre internet/I'm writing to the council to complain/I'm on the local parish council and will be bringing it up in a meeting and the best "we got on perfectly well without the internet in the past"

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RobPN It might be a valid point, but what do you call it if not Fibre ? 

Not many of  joe public would have a clue what VDSL2 meant. FTTC describes it exactly as it is but in reality, at the moment, your average customer is only interested in how fast their connection is going to be, they don't care how its delivered.

Maybe when FTTP becomes more available and people see that the performance of their connection is not dependent on an ageing copper network, then they may be more interested...

NB In fact Openreach have just been round our estate, digging up the pavement and installing Fibre. Not sure they're going to get many takers though, as most people get a > 60Mb downstream connection on FTTC. Maybe when OR start to disconnect the copper... but that's going to involve people going to voip and replacing phones.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@pint wrote:

Its all stemmed from a phone call - as i will be getting some shopping for a few people who are at home/isolating ( still)  where a few people have moaned about temporary traffic lights and roadworks i said it was for a fibre install / finishing off installing fibre internet in the area - comments came back along the lines of we already have fibre internet/I'm writing to the council to complain/I'm on the local parish council and will be bringing it up in a meeting and the best "we got on perfectly well without the internet in the past"

That explains it better @pint , I'm assuming you have an ageing population that doesn't understand technology?

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@MisterW wrote:

@RobPN It might be a valid point, but what do you call it if not Fibre ? 

Why not call it VDSL ?

Most people have accepted calling ADSL (whatever flavour they may have) by that name which could equally be called 'fibre' (FTTE - Fibre To The Exchange) Wink

Not many of  joe public would have a clue what VDSL2 meant. FTTC describes it exactly as it is but in reality, at the moment, your average customer is only interested in how fast their connection is going to be, they don't care how its delivered.

Well ignorance is bliss as they say, so due to being misled and not having had a real choice if they wanted a faster service, they've accepted the only option open to them, i.e. another copper-based service described as 'fibre'.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@jab1 wrote:

That explains it better @pint , I'm assuming you have an ageing population that doesn't understand technology?

Several people I know who aren't particularly old have told me they've got fibre @jab1 .  There's a mix of FTTP and FTTC where I live, but on checking, they haven't, they're just repeating what they've been fooled into believing they've been sold.  Wink

Edit:  spelling typo

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Most people have accepted calling ADSL

We might understand ADSL and VDSL I don't believe your average punter does.

jab1
Legend

OK, @RobPN , so lack of critical thinking isn't reserved just for the elderly then?😉 I'm getting on, but understand perfectly the difference between ADSL, VDSL1 and VDSL2. Moving from ADSL to VDSL1 in a month or so, and if VDSL2 was available at a reasonable price, I might just have considered it, although I have no real need.

John
jab1
Legend

@MisterW wrote:

Most people have accepted calling ADSL

We might understand ADSL and VDSL I don't believe your average punter does.

You are correct, @MisterW  - as the number of times I have asked the question of posters and got slightly dodgy answers proves.

John