cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet and public wifi

Gareth6
Grafter

Re: Plusnet and public wifi

I would have rather had free wifi than the switch to unlimited broadband, I don't think I've even used over 120gigs in a month.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: geofftswin
It is things like this that used to set PN apart from other "mass-market" ISPs - namely something different that is actually useful for their customers.
I believe that once upon a time; PN had a deal (possibly with The Cloud) to provide internet access at Hotspots.
Setting up access to BT Openzone either much reduced from the "commercial" pricing or for free shouldn't be that difficult for PN/BT to achieve.
I know the BT setup uses FON to work and therefore requires either a BT Home Hub or a FON enabled router; but wasn't there talk at one time of rolling out the Home Hub to PN customers?  Seeing as the main network infrastructure is all the same; I don't fully understand why it is not possible to use Home Hubs with their features on PN?

A tie up with the cloud, and Fon would be a good move, as for the hardware side of things plusnet could sell the fonera box separatly/at a discount and send out fon enabled routers for new sign ups.
As for the home hub, to me thats a BT broadband product, and quite a few people ( usualy non plusnet customers) already see plusnet as the same as BT so this would blur the lines further.
Another product that may go down well would be an internet/freeview  set top box to make use of the unlimited broadband.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: pint
Another product that may go down well would be an internet/freeview  set top box to make use of the unlimited broadband.

Not if this poll is anything to go by.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109915.0.html
dfunked
Grafter

@ Gareth6
Different strokes for different folks I guess... Can't say that this is anything I'll ever have use for, as my mobile plan has unlimited data so I just tether whenever I'm out and about and in need of interwebs... I'm sure more people are moving toward this kind of use, so launching something like this now  seems to be a bit on the late side, and wouldn't be much of a selling point ...
Unlimited data on the other hand is just what the doctor ordered!
quelquod
Pro

Quote from: dfunked
my mobile plan has unlimited data ...... I'm sure more people are moving toward this kind of use

Well as you say, different strokes.
My phone plan has only a tiny data allowance (minimal calls and text too) as I hardly ever use it. I can't be bothered with the tiny screen for anything serious.
OTOH my Ipad is used a lot, but it's wifi only.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
csogilvie
Grafter

I'd be quite happy if there was one for BT Openzone, as most places I use tend to have that.
Ironically, I'm sure there used to be such a product many moons ago Wink
pint
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: DaveyH

Not if this poll is anything to go by.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109915.0.html

Ask the right questions and the answer may be different, instead of a fixed subscriotion model why not a set top box with access to free to view catch up services, as well as a hand ful of pay as you go/use adn subscription services ( netflix/lovefilm etc)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Quote from: cso
Ironically, I'm sure there used to be such a product many moons ago Wink

yup, I used to use it (when it worked Roll_eyes )
Ask the right questions and the answer may be different, instead of a fixed subscriotion model why not a set top box with access to free to view catch up services, as well as a hand ful of pay as you go/use adn subscription services ( netflix/lovefilm etc)

you can just buy a youview box and many other PVR's off the shelf, so there would be no benefit to PN to provide this?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Yep. That's basically just a standalone Youview box (i.e one not supplied by BT/TalkTalk).
Where's the incentive for PN to provide it, without a subscription?
Plus with smart TVs, and plenty of cheap streamers/STBs (like Roku or WDTV for instance) already offering these services i don't see the point tbh.
amcclean
Rising Star

Def. used to be a PN product where by we could pay to access openzone or equivalent.
I use my mobile wifi hotspot while out and about. It may be a small handful of clicks or swipes to turn on wifi but at least I know I am only sharing my sessions with myself on my phone and not leaving my info out there on unknown networks.
Not sure i would use a TV service from PN. They would have to pay for branding etc.
It would be good instead to maybe see an alternate router provided which would have media type centre, dnla, tv connection provision.
podman
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63