cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro, we need more GB per month

jamesy247

Plusnet Pro, we need more GB per month

I've been with Plusnet Pro for about 18 months, and while I think the procuct is a solid one (apart from a dodgy router) I believe that 20gb a month is now not enough for a family of 4 all with laptops, pcs, ipods and phones.
I want the same level of speed for my families gaming needs but now I find that we're constanly going over our allocated cap due to high demand during the evenings, which is becoming costly.
I'm serioulsy considering leaving and trying out BEs top package which offers the same product but with unlimited usage.
64 REPLIES 64
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet Pro, we need more GB per month

removed.
BrianE
Grafter

Matt got it in one  Sad
There's a big thread somewhere on it, has a lot of opinions from both sides... It's not likely to change though, unfortunately
zubel
Community Veteran

Pay for the data you use?
There are specific costs in providing the service with no rate limits.  I would rather that users who insist on the highest priority package pay for any overages, than create a product that is unsustainable in the long term, and can cause knock-on issues to people on other packages.
B.
David_W
Rising Star

I agree with Barry, how much extra would you be willing to pay per Gb to have unrestricted access?  £2 per Gb? £5?  The whole "it's good for gaming" is a pile of tosh, gaming is line speed on all packages, being on pro is no different than being on premium so that excuse doesn't wash, jump on to the cheaper Premium, grab your 80Gb limit and enjoy full speed gaming anyhow, just ask for FastPath to lower your ping.
I believe that 20gb a month is now not enough for a family of 4 all with laptops, pcs, ipods and phones.

Is actually correct, all that means is you're on the wrong product for your needs, not that the product is wrong!  It's a bit like saying a motorbike isn't good for a family of 4 with a dog, so add 2 more wheels, and some proper seats THEN the motorbike would be perfect.....  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

er um its now Extra at 60G, not 80
David_W
Rising Star

An even better reason to not mess with the 20Gb package, if they upped the allowance on that what would they have to do with the 60Gb pack?  Who would want 60Gb with throttling from 8am-midnight when you can get a package with enough gigs to keep you going and no restrictions at all?
jamesy247

I'm prepared to pay extra for a larger allowance without the traffic shaping. I think if pro was say £30 per month with a 50gb allowance then I'd be happy to pay.
I think Plusnet should have a look at the competion because at the moment there's better products about.
https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/bepro for instance.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

They should allow us to purchase more bandwidth, but not at the hideously steep prices they currently charge for extra.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: David
The whole "it's good for gaming" is a pile of tosh, gaming is line speed on all packages...

No it isn't. Gaming is rate limited to 2Mbps on Value and some of the business products. See here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nibor
Grafter

You dont need anymore than 2mbs per sec for gaming, your ping isnt that much better, only if alot of downloading content is involved. - thats just my opinion.
jim:quote
David_W
Rising Star

I stand corrected Bob, it's line speed on all packages except Value and Business (option 3)
Dom
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
No it isn't. Gaming is rate limited to 2Mbps on Value and some of the business products. See here.

But in reality that doesn't make any difference to gaming. When it comes to games, it's not the bandwidth that counts (as games are designed not to take up very much bandwidth) but ping times. Our internet speed is currently at 0.65Mbps - well under the 2Mb it would be "restricted" to, and we can play online games just fine. Sure, we're on Pro so the ping times are always good, but if you get reasonable pings on the Value package, then 2Mb is more than enough for gaming. So I agree with David W about "Pro being good for gaming being a load of tosh".
(Don't get me wrong - I love the package itself where gaming is concerned, it's just that I don't think the other packages are any worse for gaming.)
matt_2k34
Grafter

If you want more GB per month, you have to pay for it. Simple
THAT or Plusnet could perhaps give "gaming" and web titanium priority, and everything else is Best Effort.
The products for Gaming, the fact that you want to use Steam to download the latest and greatest, and maybe get a few films, and spend a few hours watching the iplayer per month - isnt what the package was made for.
It gives you great quality service that you can get, in terms of playing games.
If you want the extra bandwidth for doing the other things, you have to pay for what you use.
imho, the packages are fine.
nibor
Grafter

Quote from: Dom
Quote from: Bob

But in reality that doesn't make any difference to gaming. When it comes to games, it's not the bandwidth that counts (as games are designed not to take up very much bandwidth) but ping times. Our internet speed is currently at 0.65Mbps - well under the 2Mb it would be "restricted" to, and we can play online games just fine. Sure, we're on Pro so the ping times are always good, but if you get reasonable pings on the Value package, then 2Mb is more than enough for gaming. So I agree with David W about "Pro being good for gaming being a load of tosh".
(Don't get me wrong - I love the package itself where gaming is concerned, it's just that I don't think the other packages are any worse for gaming.)

I agree, I think PN just promiote it as being giid for gaming, inreality its a servcie that offers no throttling at all on all products, particualrly P2P