Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet News blackout?

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Plusnet News blackout?

As the fora seem to be the main way for customers to interact with Plusnet, why do Plusnet not interact with the fora?

Plusnet Business Broadband is being withdrawn, but there is not even an announcement in the "Latest Plusnet News" section - the most recent news is from September.

There is no mention in the Business section, and nothing in the Blogs.

The only mention anywhere seems to be in the main Business Broadband page, where the ability to sign up for Business Broadband has disappeared - there is some FAQ blub hidden a few clicks down.

For businesses with impending renewal dates this will be a major change - the loss of the e-mail address will be significant for any that use the plusnet address as many small business do. The BT packages are also more expensive, which will increase business costs even further at a time of rapidly rising energy costs.

Have business customers been contacted, or will the inability to renew their contract  be the first they know?

14 REPLIES 14
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Plusnet News blackout?

corringham
Seasoned Champion

I'm not sure whether there has even been a press release - I suspect ispreview were tipped off by a plusnet customer that noticed the FAQ change.

I do hope business users have had an e-mail about it  - especially those near to renewal.

nkhughes
Dabbler

@corringham wrote:

I do hope business users have had an e-mail about it  - especially those near to renewal.

I only got an email from Plusnet yesterday and it's the first time I was aware of the business packages being retired, which prompted me to log into the forums. Not too much discussion about the subject, so maybe I'm not one of the last to know.

Unfortunately in the  ~19 years I've been with Plusnet this isn't unusual when it comes to communication.

Does anyone know if there's a single cut-off date, or are they just stopping each business contract at the renewal 'anniversary', e.g. I upgraded to fibre last May so I have 4 months left?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

There has been a suggestion that 12 months on from the announcement the residual customers will be force migrated to BT Business.

I had a business referral taken for a 24 month contract just a couple of weeks before the announcement (late October).  Given what must have been know within the business at that time, I am dumfounded to understand why a 24 month contract was offered.  It probably does not best suit the customer ... and I will be darned if they are forced to continue a contract with BT Business.

Switching away from BT' overseas support was very much a key reason for switching to Plusnet.  Why pay more and at the same time export jobs to India?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

I only got an email from Plusnet yesterday and it's the first time I was aware of the business packages being retired,

Out of interest, what did the e-mail say?

nkhughes
Dabbler

@corringham wrote:

Out of interest, what did the e-mail say?

"We’re getting in touch to let you know about some changes to your Business Broadband and phone service provided by Plusnet who are part of the BT Group.

Within the next 12 months we will be closing our Business services as we move focus to our residential offerings.

As a valued BT Group Customer, we’ve worked with our colleagues at BT for Business and put together some packages and deals including Full Fibre and Voice Services that we’re confident will meet the future needs of your business.

We’d like to reassure you that there will be no immediate changes made to your account, however, please call our team on 0800 389 7854 and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have as well as discuss your options going forward.

We’ve included some helpful FAQs and you can also get more information about these changes here.

If you use our email or email domain services – we’d suggest reading the FAQs on this subject.

We’ll be here to support you with the changes ahead of the service ending, and to make the process as easy as possible.

Thanks again for being a Plusnet Business customer."

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

I'm a little confused as contract runs to April 2024. Will they actually let it run to then? Will I actually be charged exit charges if I transfer elsewhere before then? What happens if I do nothing and go past whenever they really end the service - December 2023 at the moment? TIA  

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@cbcwebsite , I guess you've read the FAQ's - at the end of your contract they will try to make you move to BT Business, or you can give 10 days notice an move to another ISP.  If you want to move before the end of the contract they will charge early termination fees.

Your case is interesting in that your contract lasts longer than Plusnet Business will - I guess your contract will end when they withdraw the service. I can't believe they'll enforce early termination charges for a service they can't provide.

It could be worth phoning the business team to ask?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

One of my referrals entered into a 24 month contract just a couple of weeks prior to the 12 month notice. The inference has been that customers will be force migrated to BT Business or face ETCs. If it comes to that I’ll be arguing that PN have broken the agreement to provide service and thus ETCs do not apply … unless that’s ETCs against PN for THEIR early termination.

The right moral way to handle this is no ETCs or run all contracts to completion. Frankly since the 24 hour SLA on business line fault repairs was abandoned, there is no material difference between the business and residential products … other than voice FUP does not apply to 01, 02 and 03 numbers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

There is actually a difference between business and residential for us as a church! Residential is only for 1 named contact who has to do all the calls, may not be available the whole contract and could be personally liable for activity online plus I gather number transfer can be problematic. The business means any of us can call as people move around over time. I hope they have factored a grace period in to next year to see out these contracts.   

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

The answer wasn't in FAQ and online help sent me to the forum! I'll call them at some point, but suspect today's answer will be different to that in the autumn. I assume they'll start nagging later in the year anyway. I'm hoping they've planned a grace period into next year to honour existing contracts. If we move sooner rather than later we may get exit charges plus a more expensive contract.

It looks possible we have to install full fibre for a new contract, which may prove tricky - so we and others could still be stranded at end of year, through no fault of our own, if new ISP makes heavy weather of a transfer. I'd like to think they won't want the bad PR, of say leaving a nursing home, with no service for weeks on end!      

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@cbcwebsite wrote:

It looks possible we have to install full fibre for a new contract, which may prove tricky - so we and others could still be stranded at end of year, through no fault of our own, if new ISP makes heavy weather of a transfer. I'd like to think they won't want the bad PR, of say leaving a nursing home, with no service for weeks on end!      

If broadband is critical to you, I would start looking for a new provider now. Depending on whether you are in a fibre priority area already you may be able to move to another FTTC provider now but possibly not in another 9 months. 

If you use the phone line associated with your current broadband then that could be an issue as well - Plusnet don't offer VoIP.

Given that it takes time and planning to migrate phone and broadband separately without losing service of one or both for a period, I think Plusnet should morally allow business customers to leave at any time without early termination fees. I'm really glad I ended my business account a couple of years or so ago!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is a critical consideration - businesses could end up losing their phone numbers.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Plusnet Mobile closing is yet more Plusnet News that isn't reported in the Latest Plusnet News forum.