Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Losing Sales, are they aware?

FIXED
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Plusnet Losing Sales, are they aware?

Thanks for the detail guys. Whilst I'd sort of guessed what it meant (never really had anything to do with databases), I was too lazy and a bit short of time to research it after reading.
Whilst the whole thing is of academic interest to a few of us. it undoubtedly isn't to AWB (and most likely the average user) as you can no doubt judge by the comment from AWB.

Interesting that you mention the history there @MauriceC (of which I was aware) - that sort of thing would cause chaos with posts being removed as well, but of course not what's happened here, and of course there was never any intention to "delete" the original AverageWhiteBloke account - which had already been renamed during migration. (I did notice on SMF one or two other users names had been deleted - but not the posts - as they had become "anonymous"). I'd guess the system works as suggested by @Anonymous

As far as links to other posts go, that was an issue that was hotly discussed during testing. As you may have noticed on migrated posts, where a poster had given a link to another reply, although the link goes to the correct place, the post number here is one more than on SMF - "message 2" here, was "reply 1" on SMF.
But when it comes to "quoted" posts, the in-built link that existed on SMF giving the origins of the quote just does not exist here and so of course none of those actual links were migrated from SMF making the traceability of those, and future quotes here, rather like a needle in a haystack search (unless in the same and short thread, or the poster manually provides a link), just another example of this fine leading forum product.  This was one issue we wanted resolved before going live, and is still something we are waiting to be provided in a future update.

Anyway, leaving this rather interesting aside, it's not even clear why the issue was mentioned now as it's been happening from day 1 where users haven't been able to get access to their original account. They've created a new "temporary" account to get onto the forum and explained why they can't get to their old account - whether it be forgotten passwords, wrong email address, no reset email etc. The original account has been recovered, in some cases renamed, password reset, email address updated where needed, and then the "temporary" account has been "deleted". I'd guess it works as Mook suggested because it gets assigned the default Lithium Anonymous Avatar rather than the default silhouette or no avatar, and IIRC this was explained somewhere else - probably on Staging.

So now back to the two points made by the OP - 1) he has his original account and all his posts. 2) It's worth posting again for any future readers, that to discuss contract renewals etc, it's usually best to contact Customer Options on 0800-013-2632.
As far as pressing the "1" key goes, AWB70 might want to bear in mind the possibility that the phone used may be slightly off with the key tones - try another phone, or if there is difficulty with other calls with another phone as well, then there could be some sort of line/exchange problem.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Anotherone wrote:-

So now back to the two points made by the OP - 1) he has his original account and all his posts. 2) It's worth posting again for any future readers, that to discuss contract renewals etc, it's usually best to contact Customer Options on 0800-013-2632.
As far as pressing the "1" key goes, AWB70 might want to bear in mind the possibility that the phone used may be slightly off with the key tones - try another phone, or if there is difficulty with other calls with another phone as well, then there could be some sort of line/exchange problem.

Thanks for the input, indeed yes I have my original posts back which was the main benefit. This is an excellent forum for getting information about anything tech related not just Plusnet. I tend to make it my first stop when I have any type of issue because you always seem to get your issue resolved here rather than in a specific board for that issue. I spend most of my time in the Linux section, I often come across an issue where I've been here before but can't remember what I did last time. I know 9/10 times I will have discussed it here so can trawl back though my previous posts. If I was a bit more organised I would save all the relevant information into Evernote or something to revert back to but every time I pop in here with my issue it's good to keep up with what other people are doing.

Regarding the helpline, not sure at which end the issue is. like I mentioned earlier up the thread I tried the same thing off my mobile and it worked which would suggest the dial tone on my landline. However I've used the same phone on other numbers where pressing one was an option and it always works on their systems, actually did it twice this morning without a problem.

Anotherone
Champion

If you ever have any intermittent noises on your line that could affect the tone signalling whilst the noise is present - as well as a potential affect on your broadband (poor line = poor broadband usually).

AWB70 wrote:
I tend to make it my first stop when I have any type of issue because you always seem to get your issue resolved here rather than in a specific board for that issue.

Not sure whether you meant the Plusnet forum in general, or this board specifically, as opposed to a board of some other forum. I'm guessing  from the bit

I spend most of my time in the Linux section.......

you meant this Forum rather than any other.
Whilst the search engine here is somewhat clunky (gross understatement) you can more easily browse through you own posts by looking at your Profile then clicking on the > on the Latest Posts by ... module as you may have discovered Wink - unless you've made a very large number of posts, when you can't go back far enough - currently limited to 500 pages - then you need to use search Roll_eyes

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

There's no audible noise on my line it's quite clean. Yes I meant this forum mate which is why it's handy to as you say look back through my previous posts. For instance the Linux section (which has changed now) I can post soemthing and easily have two or three suggestions within a couple of hours. Post the same thing in the Ubuntu forums and you'll be very lucky to get a reply.

Anotherone
Champion

For instance the Linux section (which has changed now)

That is something, I'm still hoping we'll get changed back, but that is a separate argument going on elsewhere.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Just been "elsewhere" to see what's going on. Shame that the boards have been split this way. I sort of see both points of view whereas as a Linux user who often uses that part of the board I'm sad to see it get mixed in with millions of other unrelated topics, on the other hand why should PN make a topic especially for Linux. It has to be a benefit because people may have a PN related problem on a linux based machine. Good luck getting a stock answer for that!

Story of Linux's life really.

It is above all a community board rather than a support board. PN themselves would probably admit they would prefer you to use the official support channels but if they can cut down that traffic by other members helping out it takes some pressure off them. It doesn't appear to be too much hassle putting things back the way they were so can't see why PN are digging their heals in on the subject.