Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Packages 2Mb/s v 10 Mb/s Upload - Vote

cja
Grafter

Plusnet Fibre Packages 2Mb/s v 10 Mb/s Upload - Vote

The new FTTC packages will be 2 Mb/s upload,
Plusnet may consider 10 Mb/s, but no timescale.  If 10 Mb/s upload is important to you vote for the timescale for Plusnet providing this.  Remember how long we've waited for the packages and how far plusnet are behind BT and others.
Hopefully this may prompt some action.
Chris
49 REPLIES 49
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet Fibre Packages 2Mb/s v 10 Mb/s Upload - Vote

You forgot the option for "I won't get FTTC in my lifetime, so I don't really care"...
Cry
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Why should it prompt some action from Plusnet. Polls on this forum rarely get any where near the volume of replies that would make them take note.
There is also a financial implication of the faster upload - i.e. it will cost Plusnet to offer such an option which may make the product too expensive and thus not cost effective to do the necessary development to support it.
We are far too early in the fibre take-up for Plusnet to consider other options.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont care, I am on Value - 10G per month and 16M synch, 800Kb upload, and have to watch it near the month end, and my house is FTTC enabled, why should I go for FTTC
itsme
Grafter

Why do users require fast upload speed? I can only think of one area and that's online backup.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Business users and home workers who need to upload large files to company servers
Also the BT Wholesale charge for 10Mb upstream is £1 per month with an upgrade charge
itsme
Grafter

Will Business and Home Workers be on Residential Products?
The £1 extra is actually £1.20 BT Wholesale prices will not be VAT inclusive.
cja
Grafter

@Peter
Making the product £1 cheaper is only good if it sells more, if by saving £1, no one buys it and worse still profitable customers leave, it is not in Plusnets best interest.  I've been here 7 years, paying £20 per month and using around 3-10GB, I won't be here without much longer without the 10 Mb/s option.
I think for a lot of people these aren't the FTTC products we are prepared to buy but we do want and need FTTC, and Plustnet are becomming later and later to the market with products.
On the other comments home working was those who worked from home mainly, whereas occasional home workers could be on the residential products, this was the discussion years ago.  I believe that home workers products would get better service, especially if there was a problem.  Similar with the business products, part-time / hobby businesses can be residential.
Chris.
itsme
Grafter

Majority of Users are on a 488mbps upload and I don't hear many complaints that the upload speed is too slow. So why do people need 10mbps and across ISP customer base what will the percentage be?
WWWombat
Grafter

I'd guess the majority of users are used to just accepting whatever upstream capability comes alongside the downstream they've chosen. This could be the first time they're given an option!
Looking at the survey of FTTC suppliers, the vast majority of them seem to include *some* option for the 10Mbps service. Of these, the majority position it in a higher-spec offering that also includes more data allowance - sometimes priced about £5 more, sometimes a lot more than this. A couple offer it as an add-on to the package, where the price is a low £1 or £2 hike (though for one it is a £10 hike). Only one supplier positions it as a business-only option.
So I'm surprised it isn't there.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
cja
Grafter

@itsme "Majority of Users are on a 488mbps upload and I don't hear many complaints that the upload speed is too slow. So why do people need 10mbps and across ISP customer base what will the percentage be? "
On-line backup or in my case a backup to work, will be needed rarely but I do need it and I want all the available speed for this.  I don't complain because with the current speed its not an option and entails me doing it a completely different and much less satisfactory way.  Remember for many FTTC constitutes x6 or more download increase in speed and x4 to x20 upload, it changes the game.
Chris.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: cja
Remember for many FTTC constitutes x6 or more download increase in speed and x4 to x20 upload, it changes the game.

or for me and many others x2 and x10. Faster upload speed has always been available. With ADSL Max at a cost and with ADSL2/2+ if you ask for it. The speed is up to 1.3mbps and I normally get just below 1mbps. Upload speed is important to me as I run an email server and do daily on-line incremental backups and 1mbps is okay 2mbps will be better but 10mbps is an overkill.
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
I'd guess the majority of users are used to just accepting whatever upstream capability comes alongside the downstream they've chosen. This could be the first time they're given an option!

This is what I agree with.  Since ADSL Max became the norm, we've been able to have whatever can be managed, the same for ADSL2+.  Almost no one has limited people on download (all have been upto 20/24), an practically no one offered any upload options.
Now we have a choice, or rather the tech allows us an option, I'd like to be given it.
Do we need fast upload?  perhaps not, perhaps... each to their own, but it would be nice to have the choice.
Beside the need for faster uploads is growing by the day, if its not online backup, it's more and more cloud based systems, so even more in need.
As I've been waiting months and months with the "will they, won't they" on FTTC (and indeed when), I'm not going to stay around here and see whether plusnet get round to it.  I'd rather hop off somewhere that offers me the choice and be done with it.
itsme
Grafter

Will Cloud base systems require such high upload speeds?
Epyon
Grafter

2mbps would fine be for mostly everything
only uploading large videos is where 10Mbps would come into play.