cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PluseNet sells thousands of customers details for cash

torbayguy
Grafter

Re: PluseNet sells thousands of customers details for cash

WOW what can I say... PARANOIA springs to mind.
How about all the ANPR cameras around, do you cover your number plate when you pass them?
How about buying goods, do you only pay in cash to remove the money trail?
Come on!!
If you have nothing to hide, then whats the problem?
Do you think Plusnet want to spends god knows how many man hours complying with court orders to hand over customer information?
And surely you cant beleive that it is only Plusnet that get these court orders?
Court orders and requested by certain authoritys, like the police.
It is not optional to comply with a court order, Plusnet doesnt have a choice.
Do you think criminals have the choice to go to prison or not, when it is ordered by a court?
Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: torbayguy
WOW what can I say... PARANOIA springs to mind.

It's not PARANOIA at all, it's not even the lower case version of paranoia! It's simply asking a question and waiting for an answer, plain and simples, now get back in your box, did I say you could come out to play!? Cheesy
How about all the ANPR cameras around, do you cover your number plate when you pass them?

I don't drive so no, but I do cover up the number plate of any bus I travel on, you know just in case........
How about buying goods, do you only pay in cash to remove the money trail?

Yes....... apart from when I don't use cash and I use the debit card instead Wink
Come on!!
If you have nothing to hide, then whats the problem?

There is no problem see my 1st response regarding PARANOIA or paranoia, whichever one you choose is fine Wink
Do you think Plusnet want to spends god knows how many man hours complying with court orders to hand over customer information?

NO.

And surely you cant beleive that it is only Plusnet that get these court orders?

See above.
Court orders and requested by certain authoritys, like the police.

We know.
It is not optional to comply with a court order, Plusnet doesnt have a choice.

See above.
Do you think criminals have the choice to go to prison or not, when it is ordered by a court?

Obviously not, they did something wrong so they must be punished!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
And it must have been a  PN person who looked up my link Cheesy Cheesy

If you got a static IP address I believe doing a rDNS will give your account name.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I havnt
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

torbayguy
Grafter

Quote from: Moominfish

It's not PARANOIA at all, it's not even the lower case version of paranoia! It's simply asking a question and waiting for an answer, plain and simples, now get back in your box, did I say you could come out to play!? Cheesy

Is there any reason why you have to be so rude when somebody challenges your rather rude posts?
Its not only this one either, is it?
You seem to be some sort of keyboard warrior, so obviouslyn I will do as you say sir, and run trembling to a corner somewhere!

How about getting off your high horse?
No doubt you will post some sarcastic reply, but Im not interested, so I wont be doing the same!
Moominfish
Grafter

You clearly have a problem taking criticism (and jokes) you clearly can't tell when someone is having a joke can you? You see it as rude but that's because your probably too sensitive to anything and everything.
And I'm not a keyboard warrior at all, I just know how to type ;), by the way I'm not on a high horse because I couldn't reach it! Smiley
Oh and you won't be getting a sarcastic reply, you'll only get the reply I've given above i'm afraid, now run along Cheesy Tongue Wink
gswindale
Grafter

Well,
I've done as the OP suggested and googled "ACS Law PlusNet".  On the first page of results, I cannot find anything that suggest PN have paid ACS Law for the details, so the OP may wish to further substantiate the claim or alter the topic title.
On a related note, at the point of the information being provided to the legal teams, does PN notify their customer?  I would have thought that would be a reasonable course of action to take as that way customers become aware that their usage is being viewed as suspicious.
torbayguy
Grafter

I agree Geoff.
But I can imagine plusnet getting thousands of these requests, after all we all download copyright things we shouldnt from time to time, so the logistics would be a nightmare, however, that isnt an excuse of course, and yes I would expect to be notified if I was being 'watched'.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I can answer this question!
NO - your are NOT informed that your ISP has forwared your details, they just roll over!
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
If you got a static IP address I believe doing a rDNS will give your account name.
Certainly does here for a /29, not sure if you ask for just one fixed IP address.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

MrC to what are you reffering?, I said I got a referral fee from someone who used my link, Itsme said he could have got my Address from a reverse DNS look up if I had a Static IP, I havnt
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
MrC to what are you reffering?
To itsme's post, re his 'I believe'.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: MrC
Quote from: itsme
Certainly does here for a /29, not sure if you ask for just one fixed IP address.

On a single static IP is the same I believe. It's been so long ago since PN changed my rDNS that I can't remember what the default is. As I've had mine rDNS changed to incorporate my domain if anyone is incline they can find my full name and address quite easily by doing a rDNS and Whois.
Lurker
Grafter

The default used to be your account name for rDNS if you had a static address - these days its not though unless you request it.
And of course these days you would have to ask for a static IP address first.
For a /29 the rDNS *could* be one of the options on the request for you filled out. (Its been a while since I looked at PNs process for blocks rather than single IPs though so could be wrong)