cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus £1.50 charge to pay by credit card

rgsuk
Dabbler

Re: Plus £1.50 charge to pay by credit card

Please I'm no fool. I'm actually a web developer and I can go to any one of my sites and completely change it in a few seconds by swapping different pages. The way Plus.net pages appear now, almost four months after I signed up has no relevance to what I was presented with when I followed a special offer link giving me four months free back in September.
Customers are supposed to read more than 6,000 words in this window? It would take the patience of a saint. This is just one of the dodgy practices I will be making a complaint about.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could of course gone here https://portal.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html which is linked from the bottom of the page
rob1user
Grafter

Gold Pinchers

Wow!
My product goes up to 25 quid.
You are going to charge me 1.50 for the privilege of me giving you my money !
Please would you pop round an gold plate my telephone wires, cut the lawn & clean the windows ?
Boy, think I have paid you enough to deserve it!
regards
rh
rgsuk
Dabbler

Or Plus.net could have been up front about the fees on the sign up form. After all, they were able to tell me 'no contract' and 'free activation'. 
If you look at what was presented, the options were:
Choose a broadband contract option:
* 12 months - free router and free activation.
OR
* No contract - pay for router or use your own and get free activation.
That strongly suggests that if you don't take the router there will be no 12 month contract and free activation.
In fact, as soon as the broadband was turned on a £25 'deferred set up' fee appeared. And there is another £25 if leaving within 12 months.
How can it be free activation but with a £25 set up fee? How can there be a penalty for leaving within 12 months if there is no 12 month contract?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Obviously I can't comment as I don't know anything about that offer but what is the link to get to that page
rgsuk
Dabbler

I don't know what the links were and quite possibly the pages will be different now, with different offers and layout. This is the problem with signing up for anything online and why it's a good idea to save copies.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: rgsuk
Please I'm no fool. I'm actually a web developer and I can go to any one of my sites and completely change it in a few seconds by swapping different pages. The way Plus.net pages appear now, almost four months after I signed up has no relevance to what I was presented with when I followed a special offer link giving me four months free back in September.
Customers are supposed to read more than 6,000 words in this window? It would take the patience of a saint. This is just one of the dodgy practices I will be making a complaint about.

Well as a web developer I'm sure you knew that you could have copied and pasted the text out of the small box in to something like word to make it easier to read! So why didn't you?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peterxrm
Grafter

As plusnet accounts are of a monthly contract (mine is and I may stand corrected about all accounts) I wonder how that will sit with a continuos DD payment set up on a bank account for a monthly contract?
Peterxrm
jelv
Seasoned Hero

About the same as Gas and Electricity where it's a continuous DD authority with no fixed term and where you could switch to another provider at any time.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: jelv

Well as a web developer ..... you knew that you could have copied and pasted the text .... in to something .....to make it easier to read! So why didn't you?

Cobblers-last syndrome,perhaps! Grin People are worst at dealing with personal matters, that concern their own trade or profession,
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: rgsuk
If you look at what was presented, the options were:
Choose a broadband contract option:
* 12 months - free router and free activation.
OR
* No contract - pay for router or use your own and get free activation. 

Hi there,
I'm sorry you feel you were misled.
You did get free activation, as in you didn't pay for it at the time, and you don't have a contract (ie if you choose to leave you don't have to pay 12 months subscription). However, there has to be a clause for us to prevent that offer being misused (people signing up to get free activation and then leaving after 10 days would soon invalidate that as a business model).
Regarding deferred set up and cease fees, they're actually referenced twice in the terms and conditions (under the cancellation section of the general terms and under ending your service in the broadband specific terms). The actual charges are specified in Table 5 of the price guide.
I know that the non-DD charge is an issue for some of you, but it is necessary, and if you consider others who apply such a charge they do so at a much higher rate. 
Flypopa
Grafter

I would change to DD if I could but I can't. I no longer have a current account with any banks.
I only have CCs. The Memsarb pays all the bills with her accounts. But she will not pay for my 'toys' and the internet is counted as one of my 'toys'.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You obviously don't have to run a family on limited income and some times have sudden expenses to find leaving your bank account a bit short. Some banks charge £30 for a failed payment and even more for an unapproved overdraft.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
This is the third 'hidden charge'

Its that hidden we've e-mailed all of our customers about it today Wink
With regards to payment we do fully appreciate and respect the fact that it may be a matter of principals to some people that they wish to pay how they want to. However I would beg anyone to explain to me the advantages of paying using a debit card over that of using a direct debit from the same account.

rgsuk
Dabbler

@ Mand - I said to your support staff in my messages that I would have considered it to be a good deal if Plus.net had been upfront about the charges. Instead of hiding details in a 6,000+ word long terms and conditions document that was presented in a 4cm high framed window when signing up and then springing them on me later.
I did save a text copy of the t&c but many people won't know how to do that. And that doesn't list the actual amounts. Those are in some other unlinked other document elsewhere.
On the £12.99 that I am paying for the value service, a £1.50 charge is about 11.54%. If I was paying £6.50pm it would be 23% extra! How can you possibly defend that? It is extortionate.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Flypopa
I only have CCs. The Memsarb pays all the bills with her accounts. But she will not pay for my 'toys' and the internet is counted as one of my 'toys'.

Does the Memsarb use the internet? If so tell her that because of the charge you are terminating the account and she will have to use the library.