Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus £1.50 charge to pay by credit card

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plus £1.50 charge to pay by credit card

So to get round the unfair terms regulations you spread the cost to all customers paying by CC whether they pay each month on time or not. Yes the PlusNets justice.
Quote from: Mand
I'm fairly sure that wouldn't get past the unfair terms regulation as £25 would not be representative of the costs involved to deal with a single failed payment.
IANAL of course. But I'm sure if we had implemented a charge of £25 for failed fees the comments in this forum would be just as bad, if not much worse.
gswindale
Grafter

Let's just look at this another way.
How many people here would be complaining if the change had been
BB at £6.49/month unless you pay by direct debit when it becomes £4.99/month (market 3 exchanges - value product).
Exactly the same change to all customers except that the majority will be saving money, PN will make much less profit than before.
The way it has been done is designed not to impact on profitability, but simply to reduce operating costs.
mapletree
Grafter

But that is not what is happening.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm just a little puzzled as to why you made absolutely no comment about the £1.50 charge following the December email, and then make a fuss over the reminder email which was worded a different way to try and get the attention of the people who hadn't done anything about it following the first.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mapletree
Grafter

I've already answered that question.
rgsuk
Dabbler

Very interesting and my bank is the Nationwide, so the above hasn't exactly encouraged me to pay anything by direct debit in the future! I use the bill payment facility which lets me set up the companies and then pay them an amount I choose when I want to.
As far as credit card payments are concerned, I have three payments that come out for web hosting each month. I have never been charged the wrong amount and for three years since they began they have always been paid.
For the sake of transparency perhaps Plus.net would like to tell us exactly what the card company fee is for a payment that is declined?
Why not pass on the exact fee to the particular customer instead of sharing it out among us all? Or ask that particular customer to move to direct debit?
Or would that be a bit too transparent? Maybe by imposing it on all card payers, Plus.net can make a bit of extra profit?
By the way, Plus.net took money from my card this month which it shouldn't have done. The amount taken was refunded, but why am I not entitled to charge a 'fee' to cover the inconvenience, annoyance and the two messages I had to spend writing? I am self-employed and my time is money.  Maybe if was entitled to a fee Plus.net would be more careful?
danger11
Grafter

£1.50 is nothing, a certain other company (who wont be named here) charges £5 if you dont pay by DD.
rgsuk
Dabbler

How about letting customers pay by one-off bill payment from their bank account, as I mentioned above. I would be willing to pay that way. However I do that for my BT bill and still get walloped with a £4.50 fee.
mapletree
Grafter

@danger11: If you think that £1.50 is nothing then please set up a standing order to me for 1.50 per day  Wink
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Rgsuk wrote, My reply is underlined
For the sake of transparency perhaps Plus.net would like to tell us exactly what the card company fee is for a payment that is declined?
Firstly such information would be commercially sensitive between PN and its bank/ card company, Secondly it is unlikely that charges will be ona per item basis. It is probable to be a composite charge that takes all in to account, such as x% on turnover
Why not pass on the exact fee to the particular customer instead of sharing it out among us all? Or ask that particular customer to move to direct debit?
Passing on the exact fee would not be sone for reasons given above. Anyhow to do so would be a loss to any firm that did so. Like everything else charges must bear a proportion of all operational, staff, and premises costs etc. Why should PN ask? Though it would be easy to put it in an email (to be binned? ;D) surely customers have some nous to look at other permitted payment options and use that which  avoids the charge
Or would that be a bit too transparent? Maybe by imposing it on all card payers, Plus.net can make a bit of extra profit?
IMHO your question and comment are unworthy. Why should any business want to have anyone who thimks like that as a customer?
Undecided
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
roverdc

Even if we do get coerced into going direct debit Plusnet is still retaining the credit card information. This is not right as they ave imposed an undesired payment system in ots place. The greedy and self serving b****** are havng their cake and eating it. All those forcedonto direct bebit even though they signed up to a service that did not have this restriction should ahve the credit card details removed. why shoul we have to trust you not to make any mistakes and double debit us when you as suppliers have already proved not to be worthy of our trust?
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
...This is the crux of the problem, for customers who pay by card there is less focus to make sure funds are available, and as such the payment failure rate for credit cards is much much higher.

I find it difficult to believe that those customers who do not have sufficient funds on their CC (up to the credit limit?) will have adequate funds in their bank account.
CC payments may fail of course (card number changed, card expired, card blocked) but I am sure not many fail owing to insufficient funds.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You have a very good point there. I don't see PlusNet offering to pay a fee in the charge wrongly.
Quote from: rgsuk
By the way, Plus.net took money from my card this month which it shouldn't have done. The amount taken was refunded, but why am I not entitled to charge a 'fee' to cover the inconvenience, annoyance and the two messages I had to spend writing? I am self-employed and my time is money.  Maybe if was entitled to a fee Plus.net would be more careful?
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Nick
I find it difficult to believe that those customers who do not have sufficient funds on their CC (up to the credit limit?) will have adequate funds in their bank account.
Even I, as one of the pro DD brigade, can't argue with that logic.
As has been said, regarding other services, those least able to will pay the most. Having said that should I subsidise them from my pension income and savings.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

We don't know what proportion are Debit cards rather than Credit cards (and hence the argument about credit limits does not apply).
Whatever the reason, we were told when this was first announced that card payments are far, far more likely to fail than DD payments.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)