cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please reverse the recent PN Profile management on FTTC......

Cathotel
Grafter

Please reverse the recent PN Profile management on FTTC......

Sorry to whinge, but having had FTTC for 18mths or so the one really great thing was you only had to worry about sync speed and the BT profile.
Since the recent changes we now have to allow for PN changing, or rather not changing all the time their profile to match.
What happened to the 37, 20 and 40 profiles???  Surely we only need one 'regulator profile'.
Granted this seems to be a BT issue but as it's well known why did PN elect to attempt to follow?
One again my sync and BT profile went up days ago to 38.67 and I'm still stuck on a PN profile of 33.8.
This results in me whingeing Smiley and then probably having to raise a ticket on a Friday afternoon which probably won't get actioned for some time as even I agree there's more to worry about, but it's just the point Sad
I know that if I pop onto Twitter and use the CSC bypass some kind gent/lady would do this instantly but seems a bit wrong..

Regards,
Pete
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Please reverse the recent PN Profile management on FTTC......

when I raised a ticket it was fixed in 3 hours so why not try it
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi OldJim,
I probably will, but it's the 'why did they implement it' that I'm trying to raise the proifile of - if you'll excuse that pun Smiley
Call me a cynic but I'm guessing as an underpaid mod you'll get some perks in getting your tickets looked at a little quicker...
Better run and hide now as CSC may not appreciate my humour there Smiley
Pete
James
Grafter

Pete,
Jim is a volunteer and does not work for Plusnet - He is a customer just like you.
zubel
Community Veteran

Hi Pete,
As I understand it, Plusnet's traffic management systems need to know the profile for their prioritisation methods.
As an example:  If you are streaming a movie which requires, say, 5Mbps and at the same time torrenting a bunch of Linux ISOs, then the Plusnet "end" of your connection needs to know how many packets to send to you before your line is considered "full".  If your connection is only 6Mbps, then it knows that at any point in time your streaming will take priority and you'll be left with 1Mbps with which to torrent with.
Without this figure, the Plusnet hardware would just keep sending you data as fast as it can.  Thus, your 'prioritised' streaming movie will be competing for bandwidth with your torrent and the end user experience would suffer as a result.
B.
Cathotel
Grafter

James,
I did know that, hence my comment at running and hiding as the CSC wouldn't get my attempt at humour Smiley
Point still stands as per original post - why did you implement this extra burden?
Pete
James
Grafter

Hi Pete,
Sorry for missing the humour!
I think Barry has pretty much covered the situation above. In the meantime, please do feel free to raise a ticket and our team will ensure that your line is being profiled accordingly.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also I believe that BT actually specify that the ISP should have a process to limit the amount of data being pushed towards the exchange for the user to the IP profile speed. It seems only the better ISPs do this (I know AAISP do).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi Barry,
I realise the norm for the prifile management etc but this topic was specific to the FTTC product.
From the get go and certainly my 20mths experience on 40/2 and a period on the 80/20 trial there wasn't any automatic intervention on profile from the PN side.  It was always manually set to the Max your line product could handle as the BT profile appeared to do all the management work.
There were hiccups with various forms of the static profiles of 37 (the original 40/20 profile) then there was the 'special 20' profile and then we had the 40.
Surely in the 2 years of FTTC it all worked pretty well, hence my curiosity as to why we have a less than perfect situation now.
Ed .  Just noted replies from jelv and James..  Thanks
Still curious though as it worked OK before..
Pete
Trying to raise a ticket now but the portal has gone down! maybe James has blocked me Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Cathotel
Trying to raise a ticket now but the portal has gone down! maybe James has blocked me Smiley
Serves you right  Grin
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hehehe I doubt it... should be up and running again now if you'd like to give it another shot (and haven't already)?
James
Grafter

I've just changed this for you - should hopefully be sorted?
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi James,
You see, I knew Oldjim throwing the 3 hr ticket response challenge down would work Smiley  Bet you had a stop watch going !
Many thanks for doing this but I really would like to know the reasoning behind the Profile mechanism change given it's been stable and working as it was for 2 yrs ( ish )
I'm just technically nosey Smiley
Is there a way I can change the title of my original thread to make it more discussion related than 'please reverse it'?
Regards,
Pete
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Cathotel
Is there a way I can change the title of my original thread...

Go to your opening post and click Modify. Change the title as desired - and for information add an'edit' note at the bottom of the post - then save it.
David