Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned Broadband Network Maintenance Notices

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Planned Broadband Network Maintenance Notices

I have noticed that for many months now, Planned Broadband Network Maintenance notices such as this  http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1406738165.htm & this http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1405423305.htm for example, no longer contains any mention of the Gateway(s) that will or are likely to be affected. It would also be useful to know whether possibly 20CN, 21CN, or Fibre (or all) may be affected.
This can make things somewhat more complex when trying to deal with problems where people have or will lose connection.
For example last night, looking at the Usage Graphs some users on pcl-ag03 were affected, but not all.
In future, can we please have future notices with the Gateway information put back plus any further information relating to 20CN, 21CN or Fibre. Many thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Planned Broadband Network Maintenance Notices

The removal of gateways was a conscious decision we made to try and simplify the communications we push out via service status. Whilst I'm not involved directly in the posting of these I still believe that they should be easy to understand without too much techy speak. Maybe there's a middle ground we need to reach, or maybe we need to look at giving some information in other ways, such as posting any maintenance we know is going to be disruptive in the forum too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry that's a pathetic justification & excuse! I want to see info at a glance on the RSS feed not trawl the whole site.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does this information need to be simplified and dumbed down ?
Recently there has been a trend for Plusnet to release imprecise gobbledygook statements that nobody understands.
Simplification does reduce the chances of saying something confusing but it doesn't make it any more correct or convey the intended message any better.
How about Plusnet focus on QUALITY,  employ a content writer who is technically skilled and is a clear communicator.
That person should then be tasked with producing all information sent to customers, including notices, contract changes and the newsletter.
A service notice, or any communication with customers, however technical in content can be made easy to understand (for all) if written clearly and with precision.  It just takes a little more care and consideration than has been happening recently.
Empirical
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
Why does this information need to be simplified and dumbed down ?

Have you ever worked in customer service?! Cheesy
My suggestion would be to keep the simplified version as default but have a "Show advanced information" option that shows the more technical information.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Empirical
Have you ever worked in customer service?! Cheesy

Indirectly, but even as a senior engineer/manager we were discouraged from directly having contact with customers and their problems UNLESS the customers problem was so specific that only an engineer would understand the ramifications.
However, I frequently had to produce all manner of technical documentation for the customer service department to present to the customers.
So yes, I do know what it's like producing highly technical statements that are intended for customers to read.

I do agree with your suggestion about presenting a basic and an advanced version of technical information.

It also needs to be considered that the vast majority of Plusnet customers will be unaware that service notices even exists,  and that it is probable that those that have discovered the Service Status page, or have signed up for Service Status Email Updates are going to be smarter than your average bear - and are likely to understand a more detailed level of technical content.  So I am unconvinced that there is a need for the simplified version, because I don't think that there is in reality much of an audience that needs it.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Empirical
My suggestion would be to keep the simplified version as default but have a "Show advanced information" option that shows the more technical information.

I thought it was clear from my OP that we used to at least get the gateway information. That was the case for years and it was extremely helpful information. We even had a few none techy users ask us what the Gateways were etc.,. so they were then a little more clued up. AFAIK no-one ever complained about being given the information  Huh
If you don't provide the information, then the average person is none the wiser. In this high tech age, even though there will be a few that won't want to know or learn, that's not an excuse or reason for not giving people an opportunity to ask or be given encouragement to learn a bit more.
After all we are constantly hearing about the shortages of people with high tech skills.
No, sorry, I don't want to see dumbed down versions and have to click this or that to get more information. in fact the more I think about it, the simplified version is pointless. As purleigh says, those that have discovered the Service Status page or better still the RSS feed IMHO (that's a single click in your Browser or RSS reader) are going to be a touch smarter than then average bear, and so for those that aren't really interested, you may as well give them a general statement at the start of their service that says you may get disconnected from the Internet any night due to maintenance by Plusnet or BT on their infrastructure, and sometimes you might not be able to reconnect for an hour or more Roll_eyes