cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line tester does not warn users that the test is intrusive!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Phone line tester does not warn users that the test is intrusive!

In an effort to try to determine how the troubleshooter works, I've just tested my own line 18 times using each of the fault types listed. And I've received the following messages on all counts which is a fair message in my opinion.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 22.01.58.png

Something to note is that testing using the fault types for damage report seems to be treated like a normal line test, where if we choose damage report via our internal WLR system it'd report a fault straight to Openreach regardless of the outcome.

What's interesting is that when I refreshed that page above, I got the result below

[just the once though, haven't been able to see it again]

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 22.02.15.png

Before I started testing my line 18 times and logging the results, I ran a line test just once and received this usual message we're getting reports about. Again, I've not seen it any other times despite my efforts.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 22.03.17.png

These tests didn't drop my 6 day fibre connection throughout the process, however fibre does seem to be more resilient to copper line tests compared to ADSL.

Checking my Member Centre, no footprint has been left/tickets raised.

It's worth noting that these tests were also based on a line that's perfectly normal with no genuine problems so it'd be interesting to repeat this process on a line that's testing faulty externally and also faulty internally.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf,

Thank you for poking this. If you need further testing on an adsl line just ask. The point is that users are seeing the there's been a problem screen in various conditions ... so me lead to fault reports being raised, itheres do not, but all lead to confusion and additional support calls.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PlusnetLiam
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Morning folks

Sorry I'm only just getting to this, it's been a busy week since coming back from leave!

Thanks for taking the time to do the testing @Gandalf, we've got an open problem raised that is going through the 'hopper' process right now in relation to the error message but is a lower priority than a number of other items in there. Will keep pushing.

@Townman - RE the tool in general, I'm very clear it requires some definitive ownership, investigation & backlog planning & development to make this what it should be but right now we have no resource to be able to do that with all my guys tied up on other things. We'll work to get the errors sorted as a minimum but unfortunately right now we have no plans or capacity to make any changes to the tool as it stands.