Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN still using misleading advert for over 6 weeks

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

PN still using misleading advert for over 6 weeks

From the main site if you click member centre, you will see the "changing" advert which includes

Come on PN after over 3 weeks since the change, this looks bad and at worst misleading.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

21 REPLIES 21
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: PN still adversing landline with evening and weekend calls at £ 13.99

Thanks for flagging this up, I'll get a problem raised to get that fixed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Re: PN still adversing landline with evening and weekend calls at £ 13.99

Over 3 weeks later PN are still happy to display misleading advertising on their website, and PN excuse is ?
Regards
Mike . 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: PN still using misleading advert for over 6 weeks

Hi Mike,
Re problem 75508 We're expecting this to be fixed on the second week in July as part of our release schedule. I've seen it listed on the release plan myself.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply.
Over two  month to remove a misleading advert is a long time, obviously not that important to PN.
Regards
Mike

gswindale
Grafter

Does it really take that long to either
drag/drop a new copy of the image into the correct file location on a server or
type copy newimage oldimage?
Seems very poor to me.  If this was a "proper" advert; then I'm sure the ASA would be interested and would expect an immediate response to correct it.  Now given that this advert can be seen by anybody visiting http://portal.plus.net; I'd be tempted to bring it to the ASA's attention as that might well speed things up a little.
Chris
Legend

We have rollout windows and procedures that we follow. It may sound simple but when you've got as many servers as we have, that all need to be kept in sync and then you also need to make sure the staging (used for testing) servers match the live ones exactly otherwise things aren't being tested correctly.
Keeping things in a group and rolling fixes together solves all those problems. Obviously there are some times when you have to just get something done, but those times are the exception not  the rule.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Chris , you may have PN procedures to follow , there are also rules and procedures to follow when placing adverts, which PN seem happy to disregard as will be more convenient for PN to correct the ad at its own leisurely pace.
Surely knowing running a misleading ad , would come under you just have to get it done?

You would think after PN had a misleading ad banned not so long ago by the ASA for been misleading,you would think PN would be more careful, obviously not.
Chris If your above post is some kind of defense for the time it takes to remove a misleading ad, i am sure the ASA would not accept that.
Regards
Mike

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I suspect that defect was a low priority one then.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
We have rollout windows and procedures that we follow. It may sound simple but when you've got as many servers as we have, that all need to be kept in sync and then you also need to make sure the staging (used for testing) servers match the live ones exactly otherwise things aren't being tested correctly.
Keeping things in a group and rolling fixes together solves all those problems. Obviously there are some times when you have to just get something done, but those times are the exception not  the rule.

So is a potentially mis-leading advert not something that should be classed as an "exception"?
Saying "sorry - the deal we advertised 30seconds ago is no longer available as of 6 weeks ago" is not likely to go down well with either potential customers or regulatory bodies.
This is the sort of thing that the marketing department should be on top of to ensure consistency.  Clearly something was not "in sync" on all of your servers at the time as otherwise this would not have slipped through the net.  I would suggest that your testing process needs a thorough review on the marketing side of things.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Anyone who sees that ad is entitled to insist on being given that deal - surely that should make PN act!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Are PN deciding not to respond to the additional questions in this thread? , in hope it will just go away .
Why Do PN think they should be allowed to break advertising rules to fit in with their  procedures and timescales ?
The PN response so far is less than satisfactory.
Regards
Mike

Chris
Legend

I agree with you, we should have done this one much quicker. I'll chase it up and see where we're at and try to get it rolled earlier.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Have you managed to chase this up Chris?
Regards
Mike

Chris
Legend

I have, you've just reminded me that I haven't had confirmation of whether we're doing this prior to the next release or not though!
As far as I know the fix is merged in with the next release already, so splitting it out would cause delays to many other fixes, however we have to balance that against the fact that a small number of people may see this incorrect price (remember that it's only visible for those that log in to the member centre).  Having said that, we should get this changed asap and it should have been fixed a lot sooner than it has been.