Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN gives long term customer two fingers

rockyhorror
Grafter

PN gives long term customer two fingers

Dearest Forum,
I started with PN back in 2002 with a 512kb/s service. My modem of choice at the time was that green Alcatel effort that resembles a sea creature in a strange kind of way - anyone remember those?
My contract was (and still is) a monthly rolling one. Things moved on in 2011, I changed contract slightly and added the PN phone service. At the same time I was able to take part in the FTTC trial. On the 22nd Feb 2011, I received an email which stated the trial was about to come to an end, but crucially it stated "As a thank you for taking part in the trial you can remain on your current product with FTTC without incurring the extra charge". I therefore decided to keep my existing contract.
Fast forward to Feb 2013, I rang PN and said I would like to change to the 'Unlimited Fibre' service. Fine Sir, was the reply but you will after to take out an 18 month contract. I expressed surprise that I would have to be locked into a contract as I already had the necessary equipment - and indeed - I currently have a fibre service. The reply was 'Sir we are going to take you off that anyway'. I tried to reason that PN would not have to get anything installed or supply me with any extra equipment. This was to no avail. Surely all PN needs to do is just a few deft clicks with a mouse?
I find it all rather strange that a long term customer gets treated like this.
Cheers,
Richard

17 REPLIES 17
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: PN gives long term customer two fingers

every customer new or old who moves to the new products starts an 18 month contract, whether or not fibre is already installed or they are in their first or last month of an existing contract.
it's probably covered off in this long thread somewhere http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110092.0.html
if you think it's a better product and are happy with the service i'm not sure what the issue is.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
rockyhorror
Grafter

Greetings Dvorak,
ASFAIK, the whole point of these 18 month contracts is to cover the install costs.
As I stated in the post, there is no need for any additional installation. Basically the crux of the matter is, who would want to be contractually obligated unnecessarily?
Would you?
Regards,
Richard
dvorak

of course no one wants to do it unnecessarily, but as that's the product on offer then I, like many others, have started a new 18 month contract.
I can understand your point, by the product is what it is and whether you stay with PN on a new product or move to one of the other FTTC providers you'll be on an 18 month contract.
Customer / Moderator
rockyhorror
Grafter

Dvorak spake thusly:
' the product is what it is'.
Er, yes - but the inflexibility of the organization with a long term customer is a major issue here.
This is the 'computer says no' brick-wall that I have come up against with PN.
Thank you for you input anyway.
Regards,
Richard
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Weekends are not a good time to get a sensible response from PN staff on here, I'd wait until Monday and see if anyone has anything constructive to say - they ought to.  Wink
Failing that a call to retentions next week might get something more helpful.  Cool
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@ rockyhorror
Not sure if you've looked through the new product thread yet. There is a good outcome at the end of the 18 (12 for ADSL) month contract, you don't start a new contract but are freed into a non-contract month by month basis.
That's RPM to you!!
briston
Aspiring Pro

I also am a bit dissapointed. Being a customer since 2001 and on a £17.99 for 60G contract I thought it a bit harsh that I have to contract for 12 months to get unlimited and save £1/month. It is the principle. When querying this I was told that an automatic upgrade resulted in complaints. Come on Plusnet. Why a new contract for us so called 'valued' long term customers?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Realise this may not be what you want to hear, but I'm afraid the contracts are part of the product design. Our agents aren't able to arrange for a change to unlimited fibre without a contract, or to unlimited ADSL without a contract on the cheaper price. Sorry about that.
rockyhorror
Grafter

Matt,
It is such a shame you stand by this inflexibility.
Computer says no <cough>.
Regards,
Richard
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

'What the computer says' is implementation *not* product design and can be overridden though it's likely to be more than just a few mouse clicks due to the integrated nature of the processes.
Product design is done by people on the commercial side of the business. Clearly contracts, usage allowances, habits and future trends, costs and pricing are part of that commercial balance.
No contract is provided for in the new product offerings, though the option costs £1.50 per month more than contacted.
David
dvorak

there isn't a non-contract on fibre though..
Customer / Moderator
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's because Plusnet have to pay BTw for a minimum contract period.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak

indeed, but wanted to point that out before getting the OP's hopes up as he's a fibre customer..
Customer / Moderator
inhost
Grafter

Plusnet have gone down hill so fast recently they should just do what we are all expecting them to do anyway.....
Start calling themselves BT and move the staff to India, the quality would not suffer and they would save a fortune.