cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN don't know what BT are doing?

phil4
Grafter

PN don't know what BT are doing?

Last week on the Sunday my FTTC died.  After a modem reboot, all was good for around 20 minutes, then it konked out again.  The router asks the modem to autoconnect when it's down, so something wasn't right. 
The modem was hotter than normal, so a desk fan was blown at it, which seemed to give it much longer running without problem.  I'm not an expert, but it does tie in with the problem reported by quite a few so far.
Anyway, Monday morning, 8:45am, I raised a ticket through the "self diagnosis" route (#44171541).  Strangely the ticket was placed on hold at 8:57, with the message they'd review on Thursday.  I called up, and was assured that things were happening.
The following morning, Tuesday at 9am, a BT engineer turned up, and as well as a line test, replaced the modem. All has worked well since.  The ticket was also taken off hold at 7pm that evening, though no mention of the visit.
So strange things:
- PN didn't notify me an engineer was going to visit, nor advise any sort of times.
- The ticket remained quiet until Friday at 12pm
- The update on Friday, and Today by two PN support people suggested (in the words of the second engineer: "We have no reports that an engineer visited your premises and replaced the modem."
So not really a complaint, the problem was fixed, more a really odd way of doing it.
Why didn't PN advice of the BT engineer visit (it's a good job someone was in), and why do PN says they weren't aware of the engineer visit?
Surely someone at PN asked BT to visit, why is that a mystery to the others looking at the ticket?

7 REPLIES 7
cornwallsurfer
Grafter

Re: PN don't know what BT are doing?

The first BT engineer I had booked for visit between 1PM & 6PM. He arrived at 7.40PM!
The second engineer I had booked for beween 1PM & 6PM on 27th June. He arrived three days early at 8.30AM on 24th June!
So when they arrive is anybodys guess!
phil4
Grafter

Lol, I obviously got lucky that they showed up quite quickly, but it appears neither I nor PN were even aware he was booked!
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I've been exposed to BT/GPO engineers since 1985. They come from a different universe and use a different time system compared with the rest of the human race. Tarot cards are the best method of predicting the movements of their engineers.
PlusNet are caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to predicting the BT engineer arrival times.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm looking into this now, I can't see any evidence on the support ticket to demonstrate that we booked the engineer. I'm certain we would have requested some dates and times from you if we did.
I'll get back to you ASAP
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

After speaking with our suppliers at length about this we can ascertain that the engineer was only dispatched to check the port your FTTC line is connected to on the local cabinet. From checking the notes they visited you on the off chance that you would be in, which sounds fair enough to me.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
phil4
Grafter

Hi Adam, thanks for checking into this.
As per the original post: "So not really a complaint, the problem was fixed, more a really odd way of doing it."
Ie. I'm happy the engineer turned up, because the prolem is now fixed.
All makes sense to me now, and FWIW I still think it was the modem that was faulty, and so feeling really lucky the engineer turned up, rather than my wife nagging me for a few more days because the connection drops.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem Phil,
If I'm being honest (and don't take this as a complaint Smiley ) the title did make it sound like one...
Anyway I'm just glad to see that your'e sorted now.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team