cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over four months trying to migrate and still no joy

greeeny101

Over four months trying to migrate and still no joy

Hi,
I've been trying to migrate from my fibre contract with BT over to Plusnet since the beginning of October last year, I've just received an email from the support team at Plusnet to advise me that yet again (for the 5th time now) BT Wholesale has cancelled the fibre migration order from Plusnet
This means that I've got to wait another month before I can get a new MAC code from BT as the one that was given to me last week has now been used and they cannot generate another one until this one has expired from their point of view.
Has anyone else had the same trouble migrating over from an existing fibre connection to the Plusnet fibre connection? If you have - and had a resolution,  then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE  feel free to share your solution so I hopefully I can migrate sometime this year !

11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Over four months trying to migrate and still no joy

Hi @greeeny101,
Sorry to see this has been a repeat issue for you. We're now fully aware of what's been causing this issue, it's due to a records mismatch. We've raised an escalation with our suppliers and I hope to see that resolved within a few days time.
Feel free to PM me when you have the new MAC key as I'd like to be able to keep a close eye on the next order we place for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

In such a situation, where an issue is identified by BT (wholesale?), is there any reason (other than stubbornness) why the existing MAC can't be re-used (or the transfer completed without the need for a new MAC (and the unnecessary delay for a customer who clearly does want to change supplier))?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's just how the the migration process works.
MAC keys can't be used more than once when they've been used to place an order, also a new one can't be issued until the previous one has expired.
I certainly agree the latter aspect I mentioned isn't too helpful when there's an issue with the process but it's there for a good reason and issues with migrations thankfully aren't common.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Adam,
Is this another example of BT system's balls-up depositing their problems on the end user?
User wants to change suppliers (possibly at end of a contract which cannot be rolled forward month by month) gets MAC from current supplier.  Passes MAC to PN.  PN places order on BT systems.  Order fails due to BT system error.  New MAC now required from loosing ISP.  Problem passed back to end user... who has to wait for wasted MAC to "expire" even though it has been "used".
Whilst we can all understand this is not strictly PN's fault, it is an issue for PN's acquired customer and more should be done to help.
Pressure to change the process needs to be visited upon BT - may be the new CEO could do something useful here?  If a MAC has been "used" successfully or otherwise, it should be considered to have expired immediately, thereby presenting no barrier to the immediate issue of a new MAC in the event of failure.  Alternatively there needs to be an escalation process which negates the need for a new MAC.
Passing the problem back to the end user is not the right answer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro

Quote from: Townman
Alternatively there needs to be an escalation process which negates the need for a new MAC.
Passing the problem back to the end user is not the right answer.

Exactly what I thought.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

How could it fail 5 times before the reason for the failure was discovered?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Mayfly,
That's something I'll make sure we feed back on, as we've had to broach the issue with them each time the order has failed. I'm satisfied we followed the right process for this but I think we could have escalated the issue sooner so that's something I'll be feeding back on to the team that's handled the order.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
greeeny101

Adam,
I'd appreciate it if you could keep a regular track of the progress BT are making with resolving the issue. The last time it failed BT actually started looking into the problem for week or two,then nothing. Then it was back to the beginning of the whole process again. They just seemed to look into the problem until the MAC key was due to expire.
You would think that BT would be in a position to re-issue a MAC key at their discretion without the user having to wait another month for  a new one if there has been an issue at their end. It just looks as though its an easy way to get some more cash out of their customer. By the time I get another MAC key,its another monthly bill and an extra 200 pound  that will have made its way to BT instead of PN
w23
Pro

If necessary, I wonder if Plusnet would fund a cease and reprovide, that is one way that a MAC would no longer be required?
Call me 'w23'
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@greeeny101
Sure, I've passed the ticket to myself and will make sure that's chased up on Monday.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

greeeny101,
I've updated Ticket: 80611285 for you and I will be personally monitoring this for you now. I'm really sorry to see this has been ongoing for a very long time. Hopefully we can get this resolved for you soon! I'll update you on the ticket as soon as I have more information regarding this.