Did you mean: 

Our Broadband won't be beat on Price

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Our Broadband won't be beat on Price

Yuk!!!
Come on Plusnet.
The Word is BEATEN!
Oh and please don't hide behind your Yorkshireness as an excuse. It's just plain awful English. Crazy
16 REPLIES 16
community
Grafter

Re: Our Broadband won't be beat on Price

Not very nice of you to immediately think of Yorkshire when you spotted this error  Shocked
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Their very Yorkshireness is the general thrust of the ad campaign. Despite having a lot of Londonness in the mix these days.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Word Warrior,
We know this isn't to everyone's taste, it is purely due to the fact that it's a Yorkshire themed campaign.
Personally I can appreciate that this may annoy people who aren't from this neck 'ot woods as its a purely colloquial use of English and isn't intended to be grammatically correct.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Surely the adds are not just aimed at Yorkshire folk are they? Surely national adverts should be neutral. I must confess I cannot understand the emphasis on Yorkshire surely it's the quality of the company and the products they sell that counts not where it the UK the are based.
community
Grafter

I totally agree with glloyd.....
In any case, who says that being ungrammatical is a yorkshire trait!!!!!!???????Huh
Your explanation is weak and insulting to us Yorkies.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I know Yorkshirefolk have thicker skins than that (especially as I am one) no offence intended.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
community
Grafter

Adam
I am sure that you did not intend any offence.......
As for Yorkshire folk being "thick skinned"  , I am also from just down the road and  believe that my skin is no thicker than from elsewhere  Smiley Smiley
However, we Yorkshire folk are "forgiving" and I forgive you  Roll_eyes
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Word Warrior,
We know this isn't to everyone's taste, it is purely due to the fact that it's a Yorkshire themed campaign.
Personally I can appreciate that this may annoy people who aren't from this neck 'ot woods as its a purely colloquial use of English and isn't intended to be grammatically correct.

Just feel it's just a bit too ee by gum, sithee! and it's up there with Apple's "Think Different" (ly) and Asda's "10 items or less" (fewer).
You'll get the Wrath of your famous son Jeremy Clarkson (Doncaster) who maintains that the parody of the atypical Yorkshireman is always done incorrectly by people from outside the ridings. Then again, you'll not hear a Brummie, a scouse, a Yam Yam (Wolverhampton) sound anything like the way they are impersonated. Ç'est la vie. Wink
Me? I'm a swede (North East Corner of Worcestershire)
I guess you're stuck with the ads now that you've paid for 'em given their cost.
Right, I'm off to 'ave a slice of 'ovis, wi' reeeeeeeel butter  Grin cue the colliery band.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem guys,
I'll let you know what I've think when I've finished feeding the whippet Wink
On a more serious note, we knew from the off  that these ads would not be to everyone's taste, if they do their intended jobs and bring more custom our way then in simple terms they would have worked. I'd be personally offended by adverts or anything else in the media trying to portray a stereotype Yorkshirefolk and yes there is the sound of a colliery band there and references to Yorkshire Terriers and pidgeon fancying but these are all things that are not exclusive to our part of the world.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: community

Terriers or nice tasting fattening bars? Had no inkling either used the internet Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

In case anyone livin' outside of God's own was wondered what Yorkshire's like......
Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Adverts are full of stereotypes because it saves time on building character. Surely the point here is that Yorkshire folk have a reputation for being tight careful with their money. The ads are clearly aimed at southerners and play on this idea that Plusnet are cheap give good value for money.
@Adam -- in Lancashire we would say "neck o' th' woods"  Wink
Chris
edit: to correct the argot of someone from Hall i' th' Wood !!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
You know that's exactly what scotland Is all about too Grin
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

You know that's exactly what scotland Is all about too

I do, I seem to remember a few different ads from my childhood (was going to say 'when I were a lad' but I think its time to drop that!)  for Scottish products that we're promoted in a way that extolled their Scottishness' Irn Bru springs to mind for one. I'm not Scottish and these ads didn't offend me in the slightest (I can imagine on or two Scots may not have been very keen) and I still buy Irn bru even now.
Maybe an outsiders view of Yorkshire isn't what we thought it was.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team