cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach have doubled my Broadband speed...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Openreach have doubled my Broadband speed...

Hi,
If I get this wrong, I'm sure Anotherone will correct with his gentle ways...
Given that you have the router connected to the master socket VDSL filter I would not expect your phone extension to have much in the way of impact here.  You are not "carrying" the ADSL signal over those wires.  Note therefore that the filter at the extension is not required as the phone extensions are filtered at the master socket.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Townman

Do you have another router you can try?

At least I understand that question !  Smiley
The Asus DSL-N55U router replaced a very elderly Vigor 2600VG which I was advised on here to be rather out-of-date. I'd be reluctant to put that back on even to try.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

They are dammed good routers!  Does it have the latest firmware installed?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Chris
I think uncapping the upstream would probably be fine and we could remove Interleaving, but I think the question is, is this something that drj wants us to do, will it enhance the connection and for what he uses it for?

Technically I am naive when it comes to comprehending what's been said even after people have tried to explain. I always thought home users had an upload speed 1/4 of the download speed (though I don't know why) but this seems not to be the case.
Obviously downloading is much more important to me as a home user than uploading - and the doubling in speed (*) is very noticeable, particularly on my W8.1 ultrabook (this is being written on my 2006 XP desktop which rather plods along...). Uploading is mainly confined to uploading pictures to Photobucket for use on forums such as this, occasional updates to my websites and email attachments.
The stability is now excellent too; since 19/7/14 there have only been two drops, on 23/7/14 and 30/7/14. Previously even in good times I was getting several reconnections a week.
I'm on a 10GB cap and usually use about 5-6GB - I rarely watch online video particularly iPlayer and similar. I tend to download overnight when I've missed something and need to.

* - interestingly before posting I thought I'd do a speedtest and initially it was rather poor. I repeated it twice and though it's better this latest connection seemed to be rather slower than I've had in the last few days - see attachment results 3, 4 and 5. Then I tried with my ultrabook using wifi and the result is somewhat higher - results 1 and 2 - and most of the other results were probably done on this machine. I do really think my XP machine is on its last legs...
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Bearing in mind speed tests can vary at peak times, best to do some checks at off-peak times. I'll come back to that. Just completing a post on wiring and etc.
Anotherone
Champion

As good as the Vigor may be Kev, I wouldn't recommend changing modem/routers right now, it would be good to see how stable the line is since the fairly major changes done by the OR engineer which have obviously given a significant improvement. Whilst you are technically correct about the filter in the extension socket - assuming the wiring - which is CW1308 btw - is still connected to the front plate of the NTE5 which now has the vDSL filtered plate fitted. That looks a nice quality Cat5e cable that connecting the modem/router to the NTE5 - good stuff.
drj, personally I would leave the filter at the extension socket in place especially as you have a cordless phone - sometimes some of them need "double" filtering to stop interference with the ADSL and also because you have a long line. If your FAX and phone all work ok then leave it all alone. As for re-wiring, I'm not sure I see the point, it's CW1308 standard - good enough,that's what BT use.
As for tidying up the wiring, well to be perfectly frank, if you are not tripping over it, I wouldn't bother. Wiring that is randomly strewn about like that can be less of a problem than if it's neatly coiled up or running for lengths alongside other stuff. As all this lot is now filtered from the ADSL anyway, it should be even less of an issue. Now, power supplies may, and note I said may be an issue, if they are what's called switch-mode and are on their last legs, but that is something we can check out separately later on.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Townman
They are dammed good routers!  Does it have the latest firmware installed?

I presume you mean the Asus one. I bought it since it was on PCPro's A-List.
It's running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_158 - well I was until I hit the "check" button - it's now updated to Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_4422 (potentially not much different - I seem to remember updating earlier this month when I was having problems).
I've been trying to paste in the new router connection stats but whenever I open up the router window Firefox goes into 100%CPU usage and the whole thing locks up. Even tried a reboot. I'll have to try from the other computer.
EDIT - here we are:
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 39710
Lan Rx : 28718
ADSL Tx : 26371
ADSL Rx : 33298
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 10
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 3409
HEC Down : 57
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 21.0
SNR Down : 7.1
Line Attenuation Up : 27.7
Line Attenuation Down : 53.0
Data Rate Up : 440
Data Rate Down : 5113
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Chris,
I was not thinking of swapping routers having being reminded that it's an ASUS.  Given the comments about some routers getting the stats wrong I wondered if it has the most recent firmware.  Edit: it has now!
@Djs,
There is no proportional relationship between DS and US synch speeds.  Essentially the better you can get for each whilst maintains stability is ideal.  Remember though only small messages, every DS packet has to be acknowledged.  Doubling the US halves the acknowledgement time.
If Chris thinks interleaving can be safely switched off, it might give you a little more speed and reduce latency, which can be a concern with gaming and VoIP.
HTH,
KEVIN.

Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: drj
Firefox goes into 100%CPU

Just so you know, that issue is not unique to you or your equipment.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
That looks a nice quality Cat5e cable that connecting the modem/router to the NTE5 - good stuff.

Thanks for your detailed response. The cable is a Belkin High Speed Internet Modem Cable phone cable - 10 m
https://www.dabs.com/products/belkin-high-speed-internet-modem-cable-phone-cable---10-m---white-7S18...
Anotherone
Champion

Well that cable shouldn't give you any problems as it's supposed to be a Cat5 shielded cable.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Double shielded too, for good measure.  Wink
That's RPM to you!!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Which should be marked STP as opposed to UTP.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

There doesn't appear to be any markings visible in the pic, I wonder if it has any? You have to dig well into Belkin's own spec. to see it's TP (twisted pair) to Cat5 standard  Roll_eyes
A bit like some of Belkin's other products (eg. modem/routers), a bit deficient with ability to find details.
IanSn
Rising Star

@drj
After seeing the photos here the other day I felt sure someone would comment, but they haven't. So I'll stick my oar in.
Having worked in TV and recording studios those pics had me crying out, "NO!"
Magnetic fields set up by having a tangle of crossed wires, esp. mains, are the first big no-no for beginner studio techs.
Nasty noises and interference will ensue otherwise.
If folks are saying BB, etc, can suffer from interference then it applies here, too.
First job before anything else.
Organise cables, lay them out straight. Get them bundled into straight lines and bound with gaffa to keep them like that.  Wink