cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Reach engineer fails to attend line fault x3 - lack of PN accountability

gillygriffiths

Open Reach engineer fails to attend line fault x3 - lack of PN accountability

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment regarding Plusnet and associated BT open Reach engineers to resolve a line fault - initially a slow bb speed 5/2/14 then a severed line due to falling tree 13/2/14
I employed a tree surgeon to remove fallen tree from telegraph pole, an engineer was booked to attend on three separate occasions, they did not keep appointment and fault remained unresolved. I was informed that the engineer would call on Monday 17th - so when an engineer called me and left a message on Sunday regarding a line fault
Following  11 phone calls to PN fault staff and  two half days taken off work waiting for engineer, I now have the line reconnected 18/2/14 however the speed is less than 1mb/sec,  when we pay for superfast Fibre ( usually 12mb/sec)
I have just seen you ad' this evening on TV for unlimited broadband for £2..99 / month ever so slightly more than the £40 I pay /month
My frustration with your staff who sympathise with my complaint but are powerless to push BT Open Reach engineers to attend, BT engineers lack of courtesy to call me to explain why they cannot attend,
I left SKY BB and Talk Talk for the poor service they tried to deliver, I am now in a position were I am seriously considering leaving you.
This is poor service (not) delivered through a miasma of the blind leading the very poorly sighted !
I note in the BT Open Reach  document GEN024/13 Changes to the Abortive Visit Charges and the Missed Appointment payment, 3 failed appointments = £135
Further charges incurred by me include
My time on the phone - 11 calls at around 10 minutes duration = 110 minutes,  £45
The tree surgeon £150
Lost business £ Huh
Stress and inconvenience at lack of landline and BB service £???
Your thoughts and cash would be appreciated
Sincerely
Dissatisfied Customer
6 REPLIES 6
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Open Reach engineer fails to attend line fault x3 - lack of PN accountability

Hi gillygriffiths,
I'm really sorry to hear about your ongoing fault. I'm just having a look into this for you now and I'll comment on ticket 80887499 with any updates.
I can appreciate that it's an extremely frustrating situation, however, we are at mercy of BT OpenReach and their engineer availability/work. Now that you've confirmed that your line has been re-connected we can focus on the speed issues you're experiencing with your Fibre service.
As far as compensation goes we are unable to offer this as this was due to circumstances out of our control. Please monitor ticket 80887499 for further information.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Open Reach engineer fails to attend line fault x3 - lack of PN accountability

@gillygriffiths
I suggest you take them to the small claims court if they won't be reasonable about the compensation. OpenReach should be paying Plusnet £45 for each missed appointment (you can't claim it direct from OpenReach yourself because you are not their customer). I suspect that because Plusnet are part of the same group they won't make the claim against OpenReach.
You should find this helpful: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights - it applies to services as well as goods. It may be that you'll do better than the £45.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

This reference to £45 is "interesting" but not that directly relevant, other than the fact that "something" is paid reflects an acknowledgement of culpability (which they will deny) rather than any value related to customer losses.
It is part of the commercial arrangement between trading companies and one would hope is to partly/wholly cover the losses incurred.
PlusNet will incur significant losses due to the extra admin work, loss of revenue etc. as well as potential claims from their customers so this £45 is most definitely NOT to be passed on to customers.
Indeed the losses by customers of PN may be significantly higher (though sometimes minimal) so I think people should concentrate on that; their contract is with PlusNet not any internal BT service company.
As an example, if you buy something from a retailer they will have warranty/return/exchange arrangements with their suppliers. These will most definitely NOT be an exact mirror of the warranty etc. provided to consumers. Covering these risks (and minimising them intelligently) is part of doing business.
So, I say again, stop thinking that £45 is "yours" - it isn't. But it's a VERY useful indicator supporting your claim, which may well be much more.  Wink
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

The story "OpenReach engineer fails to attend" seems to occur far too frequently, this type of  problem has been going on too long. Despite their shared ownership PlusNet should be more effective in dealing with the repeated OpenReach problem. It is a failure of the senior executive management team.
It is most likely the only way this will be resolved if OpenReach are told to fix it by the Telecoms Regulator.  There's a PlusNet User Group who should be taking this on and writing to the Regulator on our behalf. Proper sanctions should be in place with full compensation for the customers properly when OpenReach fails through negligence or poor procedures.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: AlaricAdair
It is most likely the only way this will be resolved if OpenReach are told to fix it by the Telecoms Regulator.  There's a PlusNet User Group who should be taking this on and writing to the Regulator on our behalf. Proper sanctions should be in place with full compensation for the customers properly when OpenReach fails through negligence or poor procedures.

There is an OFCOM  consultation in process at the moment http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/fixed-access-market-llu-wlr-charge-controls/  which addresses this problem (and a few others).   You will note that the consultation ended 13/02/2014  and is now being deliberated.   I made a personal response to the consultation.
Beware!   It is not the easiest of documents to read,
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.