cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the verge of upgrading to fibre but....

Dhansak
Grafter

Re: On the verge of upgrading to fibre but....

Thanks for the info folks - much appreciated.

MisterW - if you have the time and inclination that would be great Smiley

Dhansak
Grafter

A bit of a side update:

Had to call PN Tech Support as my ADSL line has been flaky for a couple of weeks (first time in years) - wanted it sorted out in case it impacts the upgrade to fibre. The connection speed had dropped from 7mbs to 1 and stayed there for a week or so.

This time I had to wait in the queue for 11 minutes before being picked up. I do wish they had an estimated time to being answered.

On the plus side, the technician who dealt with me was friendly and helpful and got the job done. He retrained the line and it is back up to about 6mbs.

Asked him to check my fibre order - it's due tomorrow sometime! I should be texted and mailed when it's done. Fingers crossed Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the update.

I'd expect you to receive an automated email in the early hours of the morning, but the actual work should be carried out during normal business hours so it should be upgraded by the evening (though I'd say allow up to midnight).

You may also feel some loss of service whilst the work is completed too, shouldn't take too long.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dhansak
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf - good to know roughly what to expect. Will keep you posted!

Dhansak
Grafter

Step 4 12/5/17

Woke up and found an email from PN (sent about 1 in the morning) saying that my "broadband product change is complete". 

I checked my speed and found that I am still at my normal ADSL speed. However I gather from these forums that the "complete" message is either sent out too early, or could simply be phrased better. In any case I wasn't expecting to have anything actually changed yet so not a problem. I can imagine how frustrating this would be if I hadn't seen some background first and just been going though the process blind!

Thankfully Gandalf and the CSA I talked to yesterday about a different issue, had already set my expectations more accurately, so I am therefore assuming that the actual change will be done by midnight tonight. Will update accordingly.

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi Dhansak, sorry for any confusion, The message you saw " broadband product change is complete " is in reference to our systems being updated that your about to switch from ADSL to Fibre, Once the order completes you will get another message saying " Your broadband order has now complete & everything is ready for you to connect to the internet ", I hope this clarifies it for you.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This confusion has been occurring over a number of years yet Plusnet has failed to take action to clarify the message. This is one instance of the sort of things customers have been complaining about - simple changes that could be made to avoid recurring issues thus benefiting both customers and staff. Plusnet apologises but takes no action to improve matters.

For example

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/quot-Your-product-change-is-now-complete-quot/m-p/100...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Broadband-Product-Change-Confused/m-p/1287764

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Product-Change-Complete-No-router-yet/td-p/1311288

Dhansak
Grafter

Hey - I have Fibre!

Step 5 12/5/17

Internet lost at 0930 for a minute or less - on it's return did bt speed test:

Download (Mbps): 37.54 !!!
Upload (Mbps):  1.82
Ping Latency (ms):  116.5

There was no notification from PN that anything had changed until  just after 1000 when I received an email saying my upload speed had been changed. Then at 1030, another mail with advance notice of my direct debit  - which showed the new charges for fibre rather than ADSL.

10:55
Download (Mbps): 37.63
Ping Latency (ms):  37.63

12:15
Download (Mbps): 34.69
Ping Latency (ms):  39.38

16:10
Download (Mbps): 37.5
Ping Latency (ms):  42.38

All looking good!  Apart from a minor account glitch (error re phone plan) all went well.

FYI: Time in queue to accounts was about 2 mins. Reached a friendly CSA who resolved all billing issues, which was documented and mailed to me whilst I was on the phone.

All in all I am impressed - I will put my probable final log here on Monday, after monitoring things over the weekend.

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dhansak, I am really please that this has been sorted, can I just say that the stability of the broadband can take up to 10 days so please be aware that the signal & speeds can fluctuate during this initial period - Tony

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

There is no 10 day training period for FTTC.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@TonyMC wrote:

...... the stability of the broadband can take up to 10 days so please be aware that the signal & speeds can fluctuate during this initial period - Tony

May be true for ADSL but not for fibre?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

A lot of ISPs are constantly still giving this incorrect information to customers on a fibre connection.

Regards

Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MauriceC, it applies to any new broadband connection, ADSL or Fibre - Tony

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Tony,

Fibre does not have a 10 day training period similar to that of ADSL.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have no idea of the correct answer but according to another Plusnet staff member there is a two day training period.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/FIBRE-training-period-query/td-p/1112451