cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not everyone lives in the city, Re Hotspots

ash1001

Not everyone lives in the city, Re Hotspots

Hi guys
These are the observations of a new Plusnet Fibre Optics user after switching from O2
1 - The ordering process went well - ordered 1st March 2013
2 - Installed and working - 8th March 2013
That in my books is pretty good, now for the down side
1 - No dedicated plus.net dedicated E Mail, have to make your own up, and its ends up looking cheap and nasty, not the sort of thing you looking for in E Mails to the Bank etc. Not everyone are computer 'wizzkids' let alone trying to set up E Mail via plusnet with a BT Premium E Mail account address.
2 - Been a little part of BT i thought at least the facility would be there to use some of there hotspots, but unless I am reading it wrong this does not seem to be the case, as for using www.fon.com from looking at there website one has to be a BT user to take advantage of that facility, all in all living in a area where hotspots in pubs and shops are not the norm, then BTs hotspots were a real attraction.
Conclusion - unless there is some hope on the near horizon for a wider range of hotspots it may be a case of getting out of the contract before its really begun.
9 REPLIES 9
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Not everyone lives in the city, Re Hotspots

ash1001

Hi Pint
Many thanks for the reply, had a look at the website as suggested, am I right in thinking by having that device plugged into my system at home, I can access 'fon' hotpots wherever they are available, or have I to do something else.
Cheers
mikko
Grafter

I guess fonera's OK for laptops but what about tablets?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

There is an app  Grin (Really)
I suppose if you need it a lot then £35 is quite cheap. But for me there are plenty of free wifi spots available.
ash1001

Yeh £35 is not back, but would be even better if PN has some link up with BT to allow us to use there hotspots, It would have been helpful if some one from PN actualy came and informed us what the latest position is, the person I chatted with online at PN indicated that it was going to happen sometime, maybe I should have read the forum first.
I live in the Northumberland, and yes there are hotspots in town (Newcastle) but very little north of the city, so its a case of relying on BT shared modem facility, plenty of those but you need to be with BT to use them, so yes FON is an option.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The Digital Care Team on these forums are normally only here 9 - 5 on weekdays so you shouldn't expect an answer when you first raised the question at 23.03 on a Friday night
However this has been raised many times in the past and basically Plusnet have no plans at present to offer the facility of using BT hotspots as Plusnet operates as a totally independent entity despite being owned by BT retail
Regarding your email - the system used by Plusnet allows for unlimited email addresses which is a great benefit and providing you don't use something silly for your username then it is certainly not "cheap and nasty"
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ash1001
Hi Pint
Many thanks for the reply, had a look at the website as suggested, am I right in thinking by having that device plugged into my system at home, I can access 'fon' hotpots wherever they are available, or have I to do something else.
Cheers

Yes thats pretty much it, i have an older fonera that just sits their attached to my router, and with that i can get access to hotspots with the word "fon" in them world wide
As well as in the UK, ive used it in Belguim, Holland, Portugal and Spain, on my ( android based) mobile phone, saving a fortune in roaming charges
On a laptop you just connect to the fon hotspot and enter your username/password under Fon and thats it.
on a mobile device ( such as a phone/tablet) theres an auto connect app that will automaticly connect you to fon if your in range and your wifi is on.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No dedicated plus.net dedicated E Mail, have to make your own up, and its ends up looking cheap and nasty, not the sort of thing you looking for in E Mails to the Bank etc. Not everyone are computer 'wizzkids' let alone trying to set up E Mail via plusnet with a BT Premium E Mail account address.

We probably would call the email ending in plus.net a dedicated email address. That's probably just a matter of opinion though. However, from what you've said it sounds like you're wanting a domain name for a more perosonalised email address. This is something we're able to offer if you're interested. Likewise it's possible to register domains elesewhere too such as from our sister company Just the Name http://www.just-the-name.co.uk/main.shtml and have the domain hosted with us.
Hope that helps on that point.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ash1001

Thanks guys for all of you help, its appreciated, just need to sort E Mail out now.
Thanks 'Pint' for your reply and help, one on order now, hopefully it solves the problem.
Best wishes to you all.