cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No router for new fibre install

golfmead
Dabbler

No router for new fibre install

Angry an existing customer since the start of plus net I decided to go for fibre. Ordered a month ago and due to install Friday. Not received the promised router today so phoned plus net - told that despite the guarantee that a router would be delivered before install, mine had not been dispatched. I asked when it would be - don't know came the answer and there was nothing they could do and perhaps ring after 9am. Did so and back came the same answer and there was no point speaking to anyone more senior. The process was automated and if the computer said 'NO' there was nothing they could do. I sarcastically said does anybody manage computers in plusnet  - nothing we can do came back the answer - are call centre staff also automated even in Yorkshire!. At this point I said - stuff you I will cancel the whole thing and move elsewhere after the best part of 10 years. Ok came back the answer - we will put you through to the cancellation dept. At this point I got to talk to someone who was more sympathetic and could see my point of view although he could do very little, he did calm me down so well done! anyway i agreed to live with it for a few days and hope the router will turn up - as well as the engineer. However with Christmas post I have my doubts.
Anyway be warned if this is the standard plus net service perhaps virgin may be a better bet - I have resisted all their offers they keep sending me weekly!!! If i do get the router I take it all back but unless Royal Mail use Father Christmas for the delivery I don't have much hope.
22 REPLIES 22
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: No router for new fibre install

It's a shame you didn't post before 17:00, the PlusNet Digital Care team who monitor these forums, I'm sure could have sorted it for you instantly. Unfortunately they work normal office hours ( unlike the CSC ) and so won't be back until the morning.
Without the router two possibilities spring to mind:-
What router do you already have?, it might be possible to configure it with a WAN port for FTTC.
You can always connect a single computer directly to the BT supplied FTTC modem using a network cable, see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109891.0.html for links to setup instructions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

golfmead
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. It was explained to me I could connect a single PC but this won't please my kids who operate wirelessly as well as the iPad I am typing this on. I have a netgear 834g adsl modem/router  ( from memory) which maybe you could comment on will work. ( I assumed it wouldn't),
Thanks. Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It won't - sorry  Sad
golfmead
Dabbler

Would this work - TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router as less than £20 at amazon and would be prepared to buy its amazon can deliver next day?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, that should work fine. BTW PCWorld/Currys have them at £19.99 and you can collect if you've got a branch nearby http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/cable-wireless-routers/xx_7087_70094_0_xx/1_12/price-asc/xx-criteria.h...
Edit: perhaps you can't collect from PCWorld they don't seem to have any stock ( well in Manchester at least!! ).
The other one they have the TL-WR702N at £16.99 would be ok as a temporary stop gap as long as ALL your devices use wireless connections. It only has one network port, which would be needed to connect to the Fibre modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, the Amazon review on 26th August quotes it is compatible with BT Infinity fibre, so it should also be compatible with Plusnet fibre too.  I had short listed the TL-WR841N too for when fibre finally arrives in my street next year.
In theory, all cable routers should work with fibre from BT.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001FWYGJS/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_4?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=4&show...
Note that although the model number has not changed, TP-Link have changed the hardware over the years. The current hardware version is v8.2, introduced some time last summer.  Fortunately, I believe the previous v8.0 model uses the same 500+Mhz Atheros chip (as found in other more expensive TP-Link models), so there shouldn't be any difference in the firmware and the way the router behaves.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
golfmead
Dabbler

Thanks both, unfortunately PC world has no stock anywhere near me (newbury/reading) and only the belkin fd7 is available which has rubbish reviews. Might wait a day and then order from amazon if plus net doesn't come good.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's bad news!. Sad
If you get really stuck and need to pacify the kids then Maplin have this http://www.maplin.co.uk/netgear-n150-wireless-cable-router-390957 , which I think is a WNR1000, for £29.99 . Gets reasonable reviews and they DO have stock in your area Smiley

golfmead
Dabbler

Thanks that's really helpful and I will now wait till Saturday morning and then go and buy one if it the plus net one hasn't emerged from the unmanned computer controlled Warehouse they are  obviously dispatched from. Anyway thanks again for your help. A the forum is a really good resource which I don't think I have used before. Cool
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're welcome, I'd hate you to have the kids complaining about lack of Internet Smiley
I would hope one of the Digital Care Team would spot this thread first thing tomorrow and check on the router despatch.
They are sent normal 1st class mail and usually arrive the following day.

mushy
Grafter

You could always login to the member centre, go to account details and account summery and see if is showing as despatched
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary
golfmead
Dabbler

Thanks checked - still says awaiting processing!! Embarrassed
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi golfmead,
Sorry to see that you haven't received your router, it is an automated process that appears to have not worked on this occasion.
Your router is showing as dispatched, I'll follow this up in the morning and see if there is anything I can do.
Chris
mushy
Grafter

I would check again in the morning and if hasn't change give them a nudge to make sure goes out tomorrow, i don't think changes till later when the system updates overnight if i remember when checking if mine has been despatched
Edit -  just seen it has now been dispatched, hope it turns up in time