cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more broadband without phone packages?

Danielc93

Re: No more broadband without phone packages?

Ah I see, thank you for the clarification.

Only query then is whether we can choose the exact date we want the service to be activated, so worth discussing over a phone call, will do some time this week.

Thank you!

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@RealAleMadrid 

Good summary.

Paying more now with BT and only went over to them because PN could not because of the FTTP deal I had with them increase my line speed even though I was willing and offered to pay more. Daft I know, but with so much on-line the fibre speed was less than promised and as a result did not even 'fit the bill' low as it was.

BT was and still is a bit of a hassle especially with the getting my bills wrong which was only corrected some three days ago and after being with them for four months. But there you go, and at least my broadband works well across all the devices which many of us now have in our homes such as live streaming since lockdown.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Danielc93 wrote:

Considering calling up myself, as we'll be moving to a new home and won't be using the landline; so hoping there is a deal for the Unlimited Fibre Extra Package (for the top speed, as I'm a heavy gamer) that doesn't require line rental. I was reading.

Do not confuse broadband service with no line rental from Plusnet with broadband service with no rental whatsoever from anyone (as you appear to be asking for).  They are not the same.  This topic was about taking broadband service from Plusnet on a phone line service provided by BT Retail, something the poster had as a legacy product.

Unless you have access to FTTP, there needs to be a (phone) line over which to deliver the broadband service - and that line needs to be paid for, one way or another.

Due to history, terminology creates a misconception in many people's minds that the "phone" line is for "phone" calls only.  Just because they do not make "phone" calls they somehow believe that they ought not have to pay for the "phone" line over which their broadband is delivered.  We need to think of communication service delivery differently...

1. A service access line for which we pay a rental and can receive phone calls on for no incremental charge
  2. Out-going phone call charges (if we make them) charged as-you-go or via a call plan
  3. A broadband communications service - ADSL or FTTC

You cannot have 2 or 3 without 1 - even with the Zen model, the cost (which includes maintenance and repair) of (1) has to be covered somewhere.  Ignoring such is in effect expecting someone else to bear the cost of the phone line infrastructure.

It matters not how you argue this, a connection to your property is required and that has a cost.

Alternatively, there is 4/5G wire-less services, but in comparison to landline connected services, these can be expensive and some are usage limited priced.  There are no speed guarantees.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.