cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No communication with this outage?

ShadowSavior
Hooked

No communication with this outage?

Why have we had absolutely zero communication from Plusnet in regards to the nationwide outage today? I managed to call support earlier this morning but the poor lady had no clue what was going on with the service.

Also, I've noticed people have started getting their Internet back and mine keeps forcing me into the Hub Two Manager every time I try anything.

A little text message or email would go a long way for your customers...
13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: No communication with this outage?

@ShadowSavior 

Nationwide outage? This web site is a really good source of information regarding outages. https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/.

I’m afraid that Plusnet do not text or email this sort of information to customers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ShadowSavior
Hooked

I mean, it has affected thousands of customers all across the country...
You should've seen the heat map of complaints from this morning.
Anyway, my Internet seems to be back up and running now but communication is key in these situations. The support advisor I spoke to on the phone this morning didn't even know what was happening.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@ShadowSavior 

Nationwide outage? This web site is a really good source of information regarding outages. https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/.

I'm sure it is. However, not so useful if you've got no Internet! 🙄

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@pvmb 

Unlike a text or email?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ShadowSavior
Hooked

I think people usually can receive text messages if their WiFi stops working, right?
Also, maybe not as common but we do tend to have mobile data too.

Building and keeping the rapport between Plusnet and their customers should be a given. As I said before, communication is key for this.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

How do you suppose PN would know your number to txt, or even if you had lost service? Imagine if they did, it would be impossible to manage when people reboot routers, switch them off at random times, use their own routers to mention a few difficulties to try anf get over!

Like all ISP's they do not monitor your end of the service, they rely on customers contacting them to say they have lost service.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@pvmb 

Unlike a text or email?

Uh?

Since you have told us previously that Plusnet doesn't send texts in relation to such events, I can't make sense of your comment.

Personally I wouldn't expect to be contacted individually, but is it too much to expect an announcement on the helpline rather than just a generic "We are experiencing a large number of calls at present... Goodbye"?

Then again, what's wrong with a simple message of explanation on this forum to tell people what happened, after normal service has been restored. It's not a state secret, is it?

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@Mustrum wrote:

How do you suppose PN would know your number to txt, or even if you had lost service? Imagine if they did, it would be impossible to manage when people reboot routers, switch them off at random times, use their own routers to mention a few difficulties to try anf get over!

Like all ISP's they do not monitor your end of the service, they rely on customers contacting them to say they have lost service.

Oh come on! 😠

Self evidently this was some kind of system failure at Plusnet not a customer, line or router failure issue. Or are you telling us Plusnet didn't/don't know about this? 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@pvmb   I did not say they did not know about it, whatever the issue was it seemed to get fixed pretty quickly. It did not seem to affect all customers, so likely just some minor hiccup. 

What is the big deal?

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

..."The big deal" is that customers from all different regions in the UK lose Internet access for two hours and we are all  supposed to pretend nothing happened?

It's becoming irritating and patronising on here: "Run along children. Nothing to worry your pretty little heads about."

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@pvmb   quite simply - yes.

Even if went for dual diverse dedicated leased lines from different suppliers you will never get 100% uptime.

But you haven't, you have chosen a low-cost ISP without backup - if it is important to you the least you could do is have a 4/5G back up device.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...Oh it's blame the customers, then? I see.

All I and others are asking for is some simple explanation after the event. As somebody posted above, "rapport between Plusnet and their customers". Is that too much to ask for?

Apparently you think that it is.

ShadowSavior
Hooked

Things are getting a little heated in here now. I came here to express my concern about the lack of communication between the two parties.

My broadband was completely cut off for nearly 5 hours. This isn't something that should be just brushed off. What if I was working from home today, or had important business to deal with like hundreds of other people?
Like @pvmb mentioned before, the phone support was incredibly vague; even just a change in the call introduction to let people know they are aware of the problem, rather than saying "we got lots of people ringing us now" and then ending the call.

And it shouldn't matter how much I pay or whether I have 4/5G or not? It doesn't take much effort to change a call message for anyone calling to query.