cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Phone Line, No Broadband and a Disabled Daughter.

Malachor
Grafter

Re: No Phone Line, No Broadband and a Disabled Daughter.

Hmm.... I haven't.... but then again, having been informed from a variety of different sources that I'd be in the same situation regardless of Service Provider (even BT) because the underlying works still need to be done; I didn't purse this as I thought it would increase our delay time by another month or so.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It depends on where BTO lack resources - If there aren't enough pairs from the cabinet to the exchange then all providers will be affected but if there isn't a free port on the exchange only BTW customers will be affected.  As you said that there was a working Sky line prior to you moving in you'd have to have been unlucky for a pair from the cabinet to be taken just as that moment (though not impossible). 
Personally (and you won't like this - sorry) I'd change from being Mr Angry as that won't actually achieve anything and perhaps engage productively with PN to resolve the situation.  They need to work with BTO to find out if this is a records issue or a genuine lack of plant.  Emphasise that there was a working line again (as I'm sure you have already) and press PN for an explanation from BT about what the problem is.
Best of luck, and I hope you have a service from a provider soon.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: pwatson
engage productively with PN to resolve the situation.  They need to work with BTO to find out if this is a records issue or a genuine lack of plant.
I'd agree with that.
PN can be slow to get moving at times (they have standardised processes) but of the "mass-market" ISP's are near or at the top when it comes to resolving difficult problems and not giving up.
Given the other issues around phone support responsiveness etc. you may consider that other suppliers will be more appropriate in the longer-term (at least for telephony); but for now working with PN is probably going to get you service at least as fast as any other option using underlying BT equipment.
The Sky/LLU option, as noted above, is definitely worth checking out as well.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you read the original post they only resorted to "Mr Angry" when nothing happened in an appropriate time frame - they are way beyond that now!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
StuartUK35
Grafter

Exactly where Mala is, is exactly where I was, although the 2 month wait and connection we got last week, was for tele+adsl  , as BTOR are still reading the instructions on how to install Line cards in the DSLAM for Fibre. (our original order)
You go way past frustration, and angry or polite gets you nowhere as I found! Sad
Malachor
Grafter

Thanks for your comments.  It's ok I value constructive feedback (even if it's something I don't want to hear :-))
I have a positive update at least.  Since e-mailing BT's 'Executive Complaints Team' (e-mails obtained from Facebook Wall "British Telecom Bad Service Group") and posting on PlusNet's Facebook page, I have received a phone call from PN's senior customer services manager who is personally going to expedite the case (even though I was informed by those lower down this wasn't possible) with updates from his team on any new developments.  He said he is personally going to chase this with BTOR to get this resolved urgently.  Also, whilst a working phone line is a priority, and Internet a distant second, I was informed I would be provided with ADSL2 in the interim whilst fibre is being provisioned (when the phone line is installed of course).  I raised concerns that it states I'm going to be billed in May (even though the next update for the works to be carried out is in May) and was informed deductions would be put in place and, once everything is sorted, a token gesture offered as a means of apologising for the delays and stresses encountered thus far.
The person I spoke to was well mannered, apologetic and understanding - everything I could have hoped for.  Thank you for that PlusNet; I received some lovely Customer Service right there, so kudos where they're due.
I shall keep the case updated with any new developments as and when I receive them.  Until then, thank you everyone for your support and feedback.  Apologies for any disgruntled attitude/comments; but as you can probably understand when it comes to the welfare of a loved-one, standard procedures and methods go out the window (I know they shouldn't).
Kind Regards
Mal.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Whilst it does not help, it seems to me that thoughts have not been tackling the actual problem, including (temporary) removal of a restrictive practise. Everything has been geared to finding/installing a pair to connect the phone and broadband services with the implication, as far as I can see, that it is an e-side problem. If that is so and with a little cooperation:
why cannot fibre broadband be installed (which is what was originally requested) without a working phone line, by removing the restriction that it is "needed"? That then gives the possibility of VOIP, suresignal type devices etc for interim phone services while the mess is sorted. I would think payment of (possibly reduced?) line rental would be acceptable to Malachor in these (temporary) circumstances.
Phil
Note: my telecoms knowledge is, at best, extremely limited.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's not available as a service yet, but there has been a recent snippet of information about this:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6932-g-fast-at-330-mbps-to-trial-in-three-parts-of-the-uk.html
There are other developments still on-going for existing VDSL2 services, such as the Single Order GEA service, which will do away with a voice connection all the way back to the exchange. It is looking very likely that which ever retailer is pushing the development is looking to use a VDSL modem/router that re-creates the phone socket, since Openreach are developing an isolating faceplate that will pass through VDSL2 to the modem/router, while still supplying voice connectivity to extension wiring in a home, without the voice signal leaking onto the Openreach copper network.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Phil,
Whilst this is a very logical suggestion, I do not believe that this is a service configuration provided by BTw.  Without the e-side there is no end to end line test facility.
It is though the way that BT should be going - indeed if they can put VDSL cards in little green boxes why not also ADSL DSLAMs too?  That would really give a boost to long rural lines where d-sides are greater than 1-2km at which point VDSL significantly starts to drop off.  Such lateral thinking could deliver double digit ADSL performance in remote areas where FTTC (VDSL) is not effective.
For that matter a fibre install with DACS to the cabinet could be a viable solution - shared use of e-side - exclusive use of d-side and data running over fibre...
The building blocks are all there, BTw / BTOR are just not being savvy on leading curve exploitation... so typical of a quasi nationalised / public service body.  Though they have been "private" for decades, some of their practices have not really improved sine GPO days.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
It is though the way that BT should be going - indeed if they can put VDSL cards in little green boxes why not also ADSL DSLAMs too?  That would really give a boost to long rural lines where d-sides are greater than 1-2km at which point VDSL significantly starts to drop off.  Such lateral thinking could deliver double digit ADSL performance in remote areas where FTTC (VDSL) is not effective.

It wouldn't make sense to do this as the backhaul (i.e. connection from the cabs to the exchange) needs to be fibre anyway. You would also then have issues with LLU side and the handover, I think.
We're a couple of years away from the single order FTTC. There are many contentious issues and support from ISPs is mixed.
Malachor
Grafter

Hello Everyone,
Wonderful news.  After all the chasing, complaining, cases raised with ADR's, Facebook linking, e-mailing MP's, forum posts, mails to BT exec's etc. I was informed that "a spare pair has been located".  A day later, the engineer turned up and dun dun DUN - we now have phone/fibre! Wooo hooOo!!!!  Did a speed test and we're averaging 38Mbps.
It's a shame it took this long and this amount of effort to get to this stage; but I have to give credit where it's due - PlusNet (in the latter stages) were very good at chasing things on my behalf and the people I spoke to (link:csa removed in particular) were exceptionally warm, receptive and understanding; which is exactly what you want when going through an ordeal like this.  So, thanks for your help everyone who supported me and our situation, and thank you to all those at PN who went the extra mile to provide these services to us.
The token gestures were also appreciated (£50 cashback, 3 months free broadband and reductions thereafter)
Kind Regards
Mal.
adie:red removed CSA name as per link:rules]
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's wonderful - you must be so relieved.
Malachor
Grafter

Very much so - it's so nice to have that security blanket once more and be connected to the real-world Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

yep, it is great news Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Malachor
Grafter

Oops, linked a name - sorry about that!
Dvorak.....hmm......I used to play WoW with someone called that about 8 years ago.....