cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No OpenReach modem supplied - had to borrow one to get working

djp326

No OpenReach modem supplied - had to borrow one to get working

Hi All,
          I joint Plusnet on the 30th. July and I am still waiting for Openreach to supply a modem.
Plusnet sent me a router a week before my activation date and booked an OpenReach engineeer to call on the 30th. between 8 and 1. No engineer arrived beforeso at 3pm  I contacted Plusnet.  Plusnet were told by OR that as I had had Fibre BB with Sky no visit/modem was required, so without informing anyone, OR cancelled the home installation call.  For info: Whilst with SKY Fibre BB I had the SR102 SKY router which did not require a BT modem to connect therefore I require a modem to access Plusnet.
My complaint is that surely OR should have called me to confirm this or even to say they had cancelled the call? Credit to Plusnet they have been really helpful but the bottom line is that 8 days after activation I still have not received a BT modem / or an OR vist even though OR telephoned me last Friday to say that an engineer will be with me at the beginning of the week to install a modem. TOTAL FABRICATION. I have had no contact from them since that phone call. The only way I have been connected during the last week is by borrowing a BT modem from a friend who is still with SKY and using the SR102 SKY router. If his SKY router goes down I will be left with no internet connection for who knows how long!!!!. Is this normal for new customers?  Angry Angry Angry Angry
13 REPLIES 13
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: No OpenReach modem supplied - had to borrow one to get working

picbits
Rising Star

I disagree, the customer has formed a contract with Plusnet to provide FTTC and is unable to receive it due to BTOR (who are acting as the subcontractor to Plusnet) failing to provide the required equipment .
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi djp326
Let me apologise first of all that the modem wasn't supplied by an engineer.
I can confirm that, although this was a failing by BT Openreach, it would our responsibility as your provider to remedy the problem for you.
From speaking to Openreach, they have stated that an engineer would be required to attend to install this for you, as they state that these cannot be posted.
I understand that this would be an unnecessary appointment, as you are more than capable of setting up the service without the need for waiting in for a half day appointment.
As such, I will see if there are any alternative options that we can take to remedy the problem for you which would be more convenient for you. I'll try to get back in touch later this morning with an update
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi djp326
I can confirm that I have in my hand now a brand new Openreach Modem, that I will get in the post for you this morning
Should be with you before the weekend
Sorry again for the inconvenience caused
Regards Matt      ^MC
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Cruise85
Hi Dxxxx

Quote from: Cruise85
Hi Dxxxx

Hmm... Data Protection Act ?
Edited to reflect Matts alterations  Smiley
Cruise85
Grafter

Apologies for the previous posts
Although I don't believe the issue to be a problem in regards to data protection, I have now amended the posts
Sorry for any inconvenience
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Sorry Matt, I was just being pedantic, and I realised you were just trying to keep your replies on a friendly basis  Smiley
gofaster
Rising Star

When my fibre was installed, I had purchased a HH5 which the installer connected for me. It was only after he left that I realized that he hadn't left me an OR modem.
While everything is running fine on the HH5 at the moment, I would rather have the OR modem as backup and for testing purposes. Equally I wouldn't want to take a day off work just for a BT "engineer" to act as a postman.
SO, Matt, would you be able to lay your hands on another OR modem?
Cruise85
Grafter

Unfortunately, we don't have a stock of modems in the office , and was lucky to be able to find a spare modem this morning
I will however see if there is any way of getting hold of another modem for you , however I may need to contact OR.
This may take a little while, however, as you have a working connection at the moment with your HH5, hopefully a little wait wont cause to much of an inconvenience.
Regards
Matt      ^MC
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You could always try that well known auction site, you can pick them up for a few pounds  Wink
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

My installer tried to wriggle out of supplying a modem as well - he asked to see my router, and I'm certain if I had shown him the HH5 he would have left without leaving me a modem, so I showed the HH4 instead, and he reluctantly went to his van to get one and installed it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Brian,
BTOR sub contractor?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

It was a M J Quinn installer. I suspect they're briefed for Residential BT Infinity installations, and as those are all supplied with a HH5 they've been instructed not to install modems when they don't need to.
I don't blame the guy - I'm sure he was just doing his job as instructed.