cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No MAC after 7 days - tearing my hair out.

mikko
Grafter

No MAC after 7 days - tearing my hair out.

From a Metronet customer (again):
I phoned to get my MAC key. On : 2009-12-21 at 17:02:27 I was told on ticket No. 31292927 "We're now in the process of generating your MAC Key. This will take about 4 days to do. "
7 days have passed and still no MAC key.
I sent a PM to Oliver Ibbotson and tried various other methods (eg reply to customer support, which bounced).
All to no avail.
Is it true that Plusnet has some connection with Tiscali? If so, that would explain a lot.
I joined Metronet in April 2004 and for several years Customer Support was magic as was the discussion forum.
According to the OFCOM Migrations Authorisation Code (MAC) Broadband Migrations Proces, Metronet are definiately in contravention.
For example: from article A1.5:
A1.5 The Communications Provider shall communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing by letter and/or by e-mail within five working days of receipt of the End-User’s request.
(Note: I have just tried phoning again but got cut off at the 5.30pm deadline.)
So how about it, Metronet? Can I have my MAC now please? (You have my email address, phone numbers and records of my ticket requests). I don't want to have to resort to OFCOM.
Mikko Cry
34 REPLIES 34
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: No MAC after 7 days - tearing my hair out.

working days.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and PN hate Tiscali/Talk-Talk
mikko
Grafter

Thanks for the (short and snappy perhaps?) replies.
OK, it's 5 working days. As mentioned in my original post 'How to get a MAC without phoning?' I'm now in the USA so don't know if  Monday 28th was a working day (it was here)? Either way my MAC would be due on 29th or 30th. Therefore I have to appologise
Glad to hear that PN hates Tiscali/TalkTalk (don't become like them). Wouldn't go there, but am trying to get to Surfanytime ADSL 2+ before their special offer expires at midnight on 31/12/09. So here's hoping metronet customer support can be as good as they were in the pre-PN days.
i was thinking of taking a metronet/PN special offer for ADSL 2+  that I was offered on the phone when asking for the MAC. However, PN reviews on ispreview.co.uk are patchy, especially re customer service whereas Surfanytime has just about solid 5 star ratings. So far my internet connection with Metronet has been solidly reliable though not fast at 3.5 Mb/s line profile, sync at 4.5 Mb/s (on 'up to 8Mb/s service) but I don't want to risk having a problem and having to deal with PN customer service. Returning my calls as twice promised might have given a better impression.
That's my honest feedback.
mikko
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Mikko,
I've checked your account and it looks like you now have the MAC? Sorry to see you go if you do decide to leave us.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mikko
Grafter

I must sau that after almost 6 years with Metronet, my first and onlt broadband provider, I feel some loyalty.
If my excursion to the other ISP doesn't really work out would you welcome me back with a good offer?
reserved
Grafter

Quote from: mikko
If my excursion to the other ISP doesn't really work out would you welcome me back with a good offer?

Why not ask for an excellent offer to stay?  Wink
mikko
Grafter

OK, what would excellent be?
reserved
Grafter

Try naming your price
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If James the ghost was here he would phone you are make suggestions, but you have made it difficult and cleared off to Yankee Land
mikko
Grafter

I'm only here on holiday. The phone numbers can be found in my ticket correspondence - same numbers PN failed to phone twice
mikko
Grafter

Dear    * reserved
How about ADSL2+ (up to 24 Mb/s), no traffic shaping at any time including P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic, ie "100% no transfer limits, no port blocking, no throttles......just pure Internet". Free wireless modem/router, free migration (no setup fees of any kind), unlimited bandwidth usage, 30 day contract, no "exit" fee if I migrate away. Geographical 01 or 02 phone number for all contact purposes, UK based customer support call centres and provision of MAC online.
All for less than £15.99/month?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You might get it for £1599 / month Wink  (leased line)
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mikko
Dear     * reserved

I get most of that for £17.50pm. About to go up a bit with VAT of course.
(Call centres are 0800 though not in UK but pretty good nonetheless.)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I see that BE Broadband are to offer £7.50/month broadband service upto 8Mbps, 40GB limit, no traffic prioritisation, call centre in Bulgaria.
[12 month contract though].

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."