Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No BT sports and now half price broadband for new customers only

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

No BT sports and now half price broadband for new customers only

I'm somewhat miffed. I've been a customer of Plusnet for at least 13 years. I upgraded to fibre in February and I presume l'm locked in to Plusnet for a period of time.
I was already fed up when I saw the BT Sports offer that BT are doing. Now, to add insult to injury, I see that Plusnet are doing a half price offer on broadband for new customers only. I feel like I've been clobbered twice. It seems loyalty counts for absolutely nothing any more. Why can't existing customers and new customers ever be treated equally? Well, of course I know the reason really - someone's got to finance the new customer deals. Nevertheless, I don't think it makes good business sense in the long run because each existing customer can soon become an ex-customer and another company's new customer. Such a pity as I didn't want to leave Plusnet but I don't want to be taken for a mug either.
I'm now not sure what to do. Can you tell me how long my contract with Plusnet still has to run or what I'd have to pay to leave.
Annie
5 REPLIES 5
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: No BT sports and now half price broadband for new customers only

You're probably on the 18-month contract for fibre, starting on Feb when you say you changed.
That's RPM to you!!
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: Annie
Why can't existing customers and new customers ever be treated equally?

I did the maths some time ago and with the offers I received as a new customer, Plusnet don't make a penny profit out of me until around 14-15 months into my 18 month contract.
I suspect they are relying on customers being happy with the product and continuing their service to then start earning money off them.
It may seem a raw deal but they have to make the money somewhere.
I do feel that they could do more to keep existing long term customers happy (and help with their retentions). If I was running the show, I'd offer a 5% discount over the normal product price applied at the start of the second year and 10% discount for customers who have been with PN for three years or more.
I'd also be more proactive about making sure that customers were on the best tariff - if a customer is on FTTC and on a capped product which costs more (or the same) as an unlimited product then give the customer a quick call or email to point it out.
I like the honesty of Plusnet Staff on the forums but it would be good to  see a bit more proactiveness on the existing customer base to keep everyone happy.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: picbits
I'd also be more proactive about making sure that customers were on the best tariff - if a customer is on FTTC and on a capped product which costs more (or the same) as an unlimited product then give the customer a quick call or email to point it out.

Agreed.
I did actually receive an email advising that I might be better off on unlimited. After reviewing I changed product the next day saving me £1.50 per month and obviously giving me unlimited usage. Was pleased with that but wish they had sent it 4 months earlier or whenever unlimited started as I would have switched then and saved a bit more.
My beef was that when I joined 9 years ago I paid well over £100 to stay contract free (I hate being locked in) and throughout various product changes I have always stayed this way, this time I had to take the 12 month option or pay £2.50 more for the privilege of no contract. Not happy about this as I've been a loyal customer.
When the unlimited product gets updated I expect I will not be able to change without taking phone line and calls etc. (which works out more than BT for me) so will have to stay on unlimited or leave Plusnet.  Undecided
As the OP says, PN please consider loyal customers.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Customers that come and go cost more even without the discounts, cashback deals etc.
Customers who have been customers for several years will have only had their account set up once, only one service installation (excepting house moves and upgrades such as fibre) so the overheads have already been recovered.
If you keep the customers you already have then you need fewer new customers to meet growth targets.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Unfortunately it's the way that the market works. When your contract comes up for renewal ask PN for your mac code. You might be pleasantly surprised with the result. Wink  If not then take your business elsewhere. That's what I'll be doing.