cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newest forum rule concerns

TORPC
Grafter

Newest forum rule concerns

[quote= http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_report]frivolous reports will be deemed abuse and subject to warning
So what some member(s) may see as offensive, to which a Moderator has a different point of view (even if the reported post is clearly breaking the rules) the Mods think its frivolous , then the reporter most likely gets a warning.
So tell me if a Moderators post gets reported for breaking the rules for say (being derogatory towards a person) (flaunting the rules) (Racist / offensive avatars) etc
Will the Moderator(s) in question be spoken to / (posts removed) or will the reporter be the one to get a warning ?Huh
Can or will you clarify & elaborate indepth & in full, what the Moderation team means by Frivolous reports just so everyone is clear ?Huh
19 REPLIES 19
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Newest forum rule concerns

Frivolous is anything Queen Victoria would not be amused by. May be that's the definition to expect. Mods come on! Let's keep some humour allowed! 
TBH I think it wold be more useful too curb some "rant" postings. They can be nearly abusive, just for the sake of it.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It isn't frivolous posts that are frowned upon, but frivolous "Report to moderator" usage.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Recent forum behaviour has prompted this change, used to be this forum was family safe, but last few months its like a bad family gathering at Christmas.  So now a feature is being abused to make a mods life that bit more tiring each day.
Forum mods are volunteers, walk a mile and see how hard it is.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Jaggies
It isn't frivolous posts that are frowned upon, but frivolous "Report to moderator" usage.

I understand there are a few posters who constantly use the 'Report to Mod' button. Pity they don't consider what it involves for the mods dealing with their frivolous behaviour.
The OP has only just been allowed back onto the forums and seems to want to stir things up again Sad
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It looks simple enough to me, if a 'Report to moderator' is deemed to be frivolous (having no serious purpose or value) then a moderator (the hard working volunteers who have to deal with such things and who, by necessity, must determine whether such reports are frivolous or not) will warn the person sending the 'Report to moderator' that the report is against the rules (presumably with some explanation as to why  it's deemed frivolous).  Anyone ignoring such warnings and continuing to report on the same basis may face further action.
Where's the problem?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: artmo
I understand there are a few posters who constantly use the 'Report to Mod' button. Pity they don't consider what it involves for the mods dealing with their frivolous behaviour.

and
Quote from: w23
It looks simple enough to me, if a 'Report to moderator' is deemed to be frivolous (having no serious purpose or value) then a moderator (the hard working volunteers who have to deal with such things and who, by necessity, must determine whether such reports are frivolous or not) will warn the person sending the 'Report to moderator' that the report is against the rules (presumably with some explanation as to why  it's deemed frivolous).  Anyone ignoring such warnings and continuing to report on the same basis may face further action.

That's exactly the reasoning. We've seen the same post reported 3 or more times by the same person previously, this adds a lot of work for the moderators so we discussed how to cut this down.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TORPC
Grafter

The OP has only just been allowed back onto the forums and seems to want to stir things up again Sad

@Artmo
Please do not accuse me of wanting to stir things up again as you are clearly coming across as being derogatory in the adjective sense
I was merely attempting to have clarity, so everyone has an understanding
I guess that if someone else asked the same question, you would not be accusing them to (to stir things up again)
@ Chris
Can you please advise
Where it is clearly stated
Quote from: TORPC
<snip>
Can or will you clarify & elaborate indepth & in full, what the Moderation team means by Frivolous reports just so everyone is clear ?Huh

Is equal to

<snip>

Also can you please advise on the other questions that have been missed out / ignored / overlooked / other
Quote from: TORPC
[quote= http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_report]frivolous reports will be deemed abuse and subject to warning

So what some member(s) may see as offensive, to which a Moderator has a different point of view (even if the reported post is clearly breaking the rules) the Mods think its frivolous , then the reporter most likely gets a warning.
So tell me if a Moderators post gets reported for breaking the rules for say (being derogatory towards a person) (flaunting the rules) (Racist / offensive avatars) etc
Will the Moderator(s) in question be spoken to / (posts removed) or will the reporter be the one to get a warning ?Huh
<snip>

Chris
Legend

I'm happy to discuss the rules and any changes to them, hopefully the reasoning behind this one is now understood.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TORPC
Grafter

Can you please show examples of what the moderation team may consider frivolous reports & any other appropriate clarification, in a sticky for any new members or members that do not frequent the boards as much as we do, that may not see this thread in the future as it will get pushed down the list.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I don't think so, the remain private for a reason.
However I'm sure if anyone were to start that path a polite conversation would take place expressing the concerns of the moderation team.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend

Frivolous reporting of posts should be explanatory enough to not warrant examples being required. The rules are stickied in the announcements area of the forum, if anyone would clarification on them then they are welcome to ask.
From my point of view, frivolous reporting would be along the lines of the same user reporting the same post(s) multiple times or reporting without basis.
TORPC
Grafter

@dvorak
you do not have to use real world / life example(s)
There is such a thing as imagination that could be used to provide examples,
Like reporting a post just because it quoted a passage from
(William Shakespeare) that the reporter does not feel comfortable seeing on n ISP forum, just because the reporter hates / dislikes William Shakespeare
@Chris
You are quoting from your one point of view (& that is ok), however one point of view is not definitive across the board
We all get the report more than once (issue)
Yet
What examples of without basis are (the moderation team to be working with) IE: a template
& what about my other questions, are they going to be answered
Chris
Legend

I'd missed your other points on the edited post!
If a post is reported and the moderators don't believe any action is required then they won't just warn the person making the report as that's not a frivolous report. It's more to help the moderators with the volumes of reported posts they need to go through, so if 1 person reports 15 (example number) posts in a short period and it's obvious that some of these are just because they disagree with the point made, or are clearly not breaking the rules then a moderator may then decide to have a conversation with the person making the reports.
Chris
Legend

If the rest of the moderation team don't agree with the reported post, then it's likely that no action will be taken. If the same post is reported by multiple people, then the moderators can revisit and make a decision again. The person making the report is unlikely to be warned in this instance. (I know exactly which thread you mean and don't agree that any rules are being broken).