cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tariffs coming in for phone and Call Protect available

arktos
Rising Star

Re: New tariffs coming in for phone and Call Protect available

The onus is upon any retailer to anticipate future increases in the cost of anything he buys in, and set his pricing accordingly. That applies whatever the "raw materials" are, be they wood, metal, fuel, or labour. Very many producers and retailers of all sorts of products have to do these sums looking much further ahead than eighteen months, with little opportunity to juggle current pricing if they get it wrong, - because they are often locked into contracts to supply whatever it is that they produce at an agreed figure.

With wage increases at a record low, what is it that necessitates year on year increases in telecommunications pricing, - surely not the cost of electrons? Wholesale prices, perhaps? Well that's a story for another day, but why do wholesale prices also increase regularly. Investment maybe? A lot of that comes from the government, i.e us, in the first place.

We are in danger of becoming too conditioned to and accepting of constant price increases, even if unjustified.

A contract used to provide security for both parties so that everyone knew what to expect and plan for. A phone contract that you're tied into, and can't walk away from when it suits you to do so, (even if perhaps YOUR circumstances have changed,) - but where the provider can increase his prices all he likes, - seems to provide security in one direction only.

Yes, and before anyone tells me again, I know it's in the terms and conditions, but I still don't think it should be allowed to be!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Actually wholesale phone line rental costs have been going DOWN every year since 2010 under OFCOM rules to increase competition.

But the providers don't see it that way.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
arktos
Rising Star

Thanks for putting me right about wholesale prices, SpendLessTime, - evidently we need to look elsewhere for the need to increase prices.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the article, but the 2015/16 profitability looked OK.

"The internet service provider reported record profit after tax of £43.4m for the year ended March 31, up from £29.2m in the year previous." http://www.thestar.co.uk/business/plusnet-downloads-record-43m-profit-1-8166171

I see that this was discussed on this forum here, at the time, but since we are currently talking about the need to increase prices, even those included in existing contracts, it does bear thinking about. https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Plusnet-downloads-record-43m-profit/td-p/1378587

Don't get me wrong, though. Businesses are one of the things that "makes the world go round", and they need to make profits from providing a service. That is understood and accepted. Perhaps when the 2016/17 figures are published we'll be a bit more sympathetic to price increases. Perhaps.

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wholesale costs are down to about £7.80 per month from what I remember reading before. Personally i think one of the reasons landline rental is so high (aside from them wanting to make a profit and to pay for customer support) is because of all the special customer discounts they give out and im minaly talking about things like Unlimited broadband being usually anywhere from free to 99p a month for new customers as well as Unlimited fibre being offered at £7.09 per month on top of line rental. Your not really getting the unlimited broadband for free they are using the high landline rental to cover the "special discounts" they give and it's the same with all providers. Essentially the landline rental is partially being used to subsides these special deals making you think your not paying for it when you are through the line rental.

jordanc1230
Rising Star

It's still worth ringing up and telling them you considering changing provider due to the price increase you can even do it on live chat now. This is what I did and they intial offered to give me a £1.50 discount per month for the remainder of the contract to cover the £1.50 price increase and when I said no I was offered a deal which is 50p cheaper than im currently paying and upgrades my call package to unlimited calls including mobiles but with a new contract which I was fine with.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

jordanc1230
Rising Star

18 month contract as it's Unlimited fibre but wasn't bothered as was only 7 months into a 2 year contract. £18.99 for line rental, £7.01 for Unlimited Fibre, £8 for unlimited calls to landline & mobile, 99p for caller display so £34.99 a month and thats the price after the price increase comes into effect. Was previously paying £35.49 for same package but only with unlimited landline calls and would have been paying £37 a month once price increase came into force so have cut £2 a month from price not much I know but still a yearly saving of £24 and means I don't have to mess around trying to find another provider.

alegeek
Grafter

Taken the decision to leave, I don't see why I should pay nearly £9 per month more than new customers when I can move elsewhere for a better deal and even get a large cashback payment.

No problems with the service, I'm just one of those users who likes a good deal and will probably be back in the future Smiley

jordanc1230
Rising Star

Did you ring up cancellations/options team they've always offered me the same deals new customers get and will often match other providers deals.

alegeek
Grafter

No, but then I doubt they will give me £130 and a free Sky Q box, second mini box and free install with upfront fibre charges waived and still be paying less than I am now Smiley

Like I said, I'm a deal hunter! Cheesy
jordanc1230
Rising Star

Good deal but personally wouldn't want all my services tied down to one provider. Was offered Sky Q last time my sky tv contract was up and said no as all equipment has to be handed back if you leave.

bobchris

I've been with Plusnet since Oct 2013. The price increases shortly coming into effect for me (over that period) are 50%  in respect of line rental and 40% in respect of the Anytime package. This all in the space of well less than 4 years. How can such massive increases possibly be justified ?  If I keep the broadband element of my package can I go elsewhere for line rental ? I can afford the increases but will not stand for rip off increases in price.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You can just have Broadband but you will have to pay around £2.50 or £3.00 a month extra, I believe.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

But a phone line is needed from some provider.

See https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

Or Virgin do BB only for £32.25 a month

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Topics merged.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still