cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New signup router

happybunny
Grafter

New signup router

My in-laws have recently signed up to PN - go live in 1 week.  Due to BB issues with their existing ISP we recently purchased a new router to rule out issues with their existing 5 year old one.  PN has insisted on them taking a PN router during the signup process.  Ok it's only paying the P&P, but when their existing router is brand new and not tied to an ISP, it's just not necessary.
Is this a new policy for PN?
HB.
14 REPLIES 14
x47c
Grafter

Re: New signup router

I suspect it's to do with fixing the line in the event of a fault.
Plusnet can ask/tell you to put their own router in place so they can run their customised tests on the line knowing exactly what is the equipment and what firmware it has on it at the end of the line.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think Plusnet have any customised tests - they use the same BTWholesale tests / fault diagnostic systems as any other ISP that uses BTWholesale.
I thought the 582n router was only mandatory for FTTC (where it is even less relevant for line faults since it's the openreach supplied VDSL2 modem that's connected to the line).
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I thought the router was optional because if you leave within a year you have to pay for it. I would double check if I were you.
All4One
Grafter

I just signed my parents over to PN from BT and opted not to take a router. I just used their Home Hub 3.
happybunny
Grafter

That's what I was expecting, but the agent was adamant they take a PN router even though they explained they had a band new router!!
The only advantage I can see for PN is remote diagnostics of the router and auto setup.
All4One
Grafter

The autosetup yes, which would help for people not knowing anything about computers/routers. Possibly the sales team not knowing you can use other routers?  Cheesy
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

You shouldn't have been forced to take a router.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
happybunny
Grafter

Might be worth you having a listen to the call. I wasn't there so only relaying what they told me.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

can you post a ticket number from the account or alternatively send me a PM with the username and I will ensure the staff get it
Kelly
Hero

We'll have a look.
Kelly Dorset
happybunny
Grafter

Any update?
Kelly
Hero

Hey, we listened to the call but there really wasn't a discussion on there about not taking the router.  Crossed lines perhaps?
Kelly Dorset
happybunny
Grafter

Hi Kelly,
Thanks for having a listen.  One of us must have got hold of the wrong end of the stick..... Shocked Shocked
They've switch their BB today, but could not get the router to work.  A fairly quick call to support sorted that and they were impressed with the agent who helped them.  Smiley
Thanks. HB.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi happybunny,
Glad to hear everything is switched over and they're now up and running!
Thanks for taking the time to give us the feedback.